PDA

View Full Version : High Calcium

JustinReef
12/09/2006, 01:47 PM
I have just tested the Calcium in my FOWLR tank and it is very, very high! Can this be a problem at all in a FOWLR tank?

sir_dudeguy
12/09/2006, 01:48 PM
what is it at? And are you dosing anything? What salt are you using?

JustinReef
12/09/2006, 01:54 PM
Its at around 600. I did use Reef Advantage Calcium about a month ago, I use Red Sea RO salt mix in that tank. Have not changed water in that tank for almost two months. Im guessing this is why I cant keep the corraline algae under control too! Its getting way out of hand!

sir_dudeguy
12/09/2006, 02:07 PM
honestly i wouldnt dose any calcium stuff in a tank that has no need for it at all. Even if you were to have just softies, i still probably wouldnt...like i said in your other thread, i havent done a change on my 40 breeder in about a month and the calcium is just about the same as it was one month ago...I've got lots of softies (dont really use calcium as far as i know) one TINY lps (blasto) and one 2-3 inch digitata sps...so overall, there's not a whole lot using calcium in mine...id say that digitata in there is using the most by far (and it is growing pretty rapidly now too :) ) and its still all the same. Anyways...my point is you shouldnt dose calcium to a fowlr imo...just no point.

JustinReef
12/09/2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah...I now agree! I am scraping the damn corraline off the front glass every week! The back is totally covered, which is fine. I just wasnt sure if high calcium can be bad for fish or not?

sir_dudeguy
12/09/2006, 02:21 PM
as to that, i'm not sure, but in that range, i dont think it is....fish are a lot hardier than people give them credit for...i've seen fish that have been sitting in a tank for months w/out food and horrible water quality and they still pull thru.

bertoni
12/09/2006, 02:32 PM
The calcium level won't hurt the fish. I'd just stop dosing for a while (at least) and let it drop.