PDA

View Full Version : Power center

tslabaugh
12/09/2006, 06:42 PM
I am in the process of installing powerheads, MH lighting, actinic lighting, and LED moonlighting.

I want the powerheads to be plugged into a constant power supply which isnt a problem since I will just plug them all into a powerstrip.

My decision is in the equipment I want to have ease of control over. I plan on having a switch for my MJ1200 powering my skimmer, my MH light, my actinic lights, and my led moonlights. Do I run one of these:

http://www.123dj.com/lighting/controllers/pd4.jpg

OR just get this:

http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemdetails/U10-1112/U10-1112-callout.jpg

With the first one, I would have to build a box to set that on as with the other I could just have hidden at the corner of the tank. The powerstrips are discontinued and I have only found one place to get them. I think after shipping I would end up having more money into the DJ controller but it would look nicer.

Opinions??

perpetual98
12/09/2006, 07:18 PM
The DJ controllers are nice. I've used them under both of my 120G tanks. The problem with them is that they rust pretty bad after a while. Seeing as you can get them for about $20, you could almost consider them disposable I suppose. Perhaps nailing them with some paint or sealer before you put them in a stand would help.

Other than that, they're a great addition to my stand.

Eric

mpdharley
12/09/2006, 07:33 PM
I looked at using the DJ Controllers for my power center, but had some concern about the power capabilities for each switch in the unit. Most of the switches have a maximum capacity of 600 watts.

The PFO 250 watt HQI ballast has a max draw of about 660 watts (5.5 amps). I believe that is only for startup, after the bulb is fired, it runs at about 312 watts (2.6 amps, according to Sanjay's web site).

Given that I was going to run 3 lamps off of one timer, that would have been to much for one switch.

Just something to keep in mind.

perpetual98
12/09/2006, 07:37 PM
^^^ agreed

But for MOST stuff, you should be fine. I don't run my lighting off of the controller, but I'm also not running crazy lighting, just T5

tslabaugh
12/09/2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your quick responses. I think I am just going to go with the power strip with individual switches since I won't have to mount it or anything which will save a few bucks. Also this way if I get any other equipment that I need to turn on and off occasionally, i will have some extra spots.