PDA

View Full Version : Maxima Keeps Flipping Itself?

SkiFletch
12/09/2006, 10:23 PM
Hey guys, I've got a little Tridacna Maxima (1.5" long) that keeps flipping its dumb self over no matter where I put it :rolleyes:. Is this normal behavior for young clams? Should I try putting him in the sand even though I read they like rocks? My 5" Crocea doesnt mind his spot and stays put, totally confused here.

Parameters (all salifert and refractometer)
Temp 80
pH 8.2-8.3
sg 1.026
Amm/nitrite/nitrate 0
phosphate 0
Calc 450
Alk 3.3

Tank is an AGA 45 with a single 14K hamilton halide over the center and two 18watt actinic PCs over the sides for supplimentation (wish I could fit a full-length in the hood, but too thin). I run a custom sump with a Euroreef with recirc mod, forget which model exactly but its the 20" tall model. Also a UV sterilizer, rowaphos in an HOB, and a lit refugium with chaeto. Flowrate is via a single home-made maximod, probably 1200GPH as its not quite as beefy as one of their new ones which was knocking everything over with its 1500+GPH. There's probably 60lbs of LR in the display with a 1" sand bed. Tank is 9 months old.

Feeding, 1/2oz of live phyto (cultured locally), and a personal mix of krill, spirulina brine, mysis, bloodworms, all soaked in a whole bunch of amino acids and vitamins daily.

Other inhabitants (aside from corals)
2 Clowns, 2 Fairy wrasses (8-line and solorensis), psuedochromis springeri, bar goby, and hectors goby. Pretty standard redleg hermits, nassarius, cerith, and one mexican turbo snail. A handful of dwarf brittlestars and one emerald crab.

I've tried placing him 8" under surface, 12", and 20" under the surface all at varying positions from center where the halide is. He likes none of them. My Crocea whose aout 4" off center and 12" down is loving my tank. Should I just try jamming him in the sand and hoping for the best? I watch him and he extends his little foot, pushes off the rocks, flips over, and retracts the foot. He's been flipping for the better part of 2 weeks now and slowly deteriorating in color and mantle extension when he is upright :( No signs of pyramellid snails.

Any advice you guys can give, I'd really appreciate, thanks

mbbuna
12/09/2006, 10:42 PM
place a small flat rock about 1" under the sand then place the clam on it. put some rubble on both sides to help hold the clam up. in a week or to the clam should be attached, then you can slowly move it up to where you want

SkiFletch
12/10/2006, 12:13 AM
See, I never would have thought of that, thanks Chris :D

mbbuna
12/10/2006, 08:55 AM
your welcome