PDA

View Full Version : ASM Skimmer Club!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JohnL
12/09/2006, 10:59 PM
This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=8717618#post8717618

jrmx635
12/09/2006, 10:59 PM
I just got a g3 two weeks ago.
I set it up on my 75 reef in place of my etss 500.
And to be honest I can't understand why everybody loves these things.
first It took a week to pull anything,that seems like a long time for break in.and It doesn't pull much at all compared to my etss.I have owned all etss models under the 800 and decided after reading so much about needlwheel skimmers to give it a shot.
I wasted $320 on this thing.
I just got uniseals for recirculating mod and didn't like the gate valve mod.it took up to much room.
Anyway I can't believe for the price how cheap these are made.I also can't believe that I have to do (mods) to make it work better.
I will give it a month then I am going back to plug and play downdraft.
I feel they are way more powerful and built better.

ridetheducati
12/10/2006, 12:33 PM
The G3 needs to be modded in order to perform at its best.

1. Mesh impeller (performance increase of 50%)
2. Gate valve
3. Recirc
4. Plumb to overflow

You will not be happy unless #1 is accomplished. The impeller mod is a MUST. Anyone that purchases the ASM without making the necessary modifications can not complain about performance issues.

The masses have been warned.

N-A-S-O
12/10/2006, 01:34 PM
1. Mesh impeller (performance increase of 50%)
ok where do I find info on this mod?????

ridetheducati
12/10/2006, 03:47 PM
Tools and materials required:

1 x 3M blue scrub pad (for some reason the green pad did not hold up well) from Home Depot. The scrub pad is roughly 5/16 inch thick.
Utility knife with new blade
Small zip ties from Home Depot or Lowes
Scissors
Pencil

1. Remove the impeller from pump.
2. While using the utility knife, cut each pin at the base of the impeller. Try to cut it flush with the disk.
Remove all pins.
3. Cut a square piece from the blue scrub pad. The square needs to be larger than the disk.
4. Stick the pencil directly in the center of the pad, use the pencil to create a hole that will allow the bearing to peek through the pad. Test fit the pad on the disk. The bearing should easily fit through the hole on pad.
5. With the pad on the disk, insert a zip tie from the back of the disk, thru the pad and back down thru the pad and finally thru the disk. There are 4 holes on the disk. You wil be using two zip ties to secure the pad to the disk. Make sure the male and female ends of the zip tie are behind the disk. When looking at the pad on the disk you should only see two zipties secured to the disk. The zip tie connection is behind the disk. This is important because if you make the connections in front of the disk on top of the pad, it will produce drag and less performance.
6. Make sure zip ties are tight.
7. Remove excessive zip tie material.
8. Trim pad to the same diameter as the disk.
9. Put impeller back into pump.

Total time to conduct mod... 10 minutes

Enjoy the new performance, you will be very happy with your efforts.

RickD1
12/10/2006, 04:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8721147#post8721147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ridetheducati
Tools and materials required:

1 x 3M blue scrub pad (for some reason the green pad did not hold up well) from Home Depot. The scrub pad is roughly 5/16 inch thick.
Utility knife with new blade
Small zip ties from Home Depot or Lowes
Scissors
Pencil

1. Remove the impeller from pump.
2. While using the utility knife, cut each pin at the base of the impeller. Try to cut it flush with the disk.
Remove all pins.
3. Cut a square piece from the blue scrub pad. The square needs to be larger than the disk.
4. Stick the pencil directly in the center of the pad, use the pencil to create a hole that will allow the bearing to peek through the pad. Test fit the pad on the disk. The bearing should easily fit through the hole on pad.
5. With the pad on the disk, insert a zip tie from the back of the disk, thru the pad and back down thru the pad and finally thru the disk. There are 4 holes on the disk. You wil be using two zip ties to secure the pad to the disk. Make sure the male and female ends of the zip tie are behind the disk. When looking at the pad on the disk you should only see two zipties secured to the disk. The zip tie connection is behind the disk. This is important because if you make the connections in front of the disk on top of the pad, it will produce drag and less performance.
6. Make sure zip ties are tight.
7. Remove excessive zip tie material.
8. Trim pad to the same diameter as the disk.
9. Put impeller back into pump.

Total time to conduct mod... 10 minutes

Enjoy the new performance, you will be very happy with your efforts.

How about some pictures.

mfinn
12/10/2006, 04:40 PM
I don't remember where I found these pictures, but I saved them so I could do the mod myself.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11798bigprofile_627.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11798closeup-top_729.jpg

pad
12/10/2006, 05:28 PM
Wouldn't leaving a couple of pins make it a little more sturdy? will that move enough water for a non recirc model?
thanks

chaffey
12/10/2006, 05:38 PM
My G-5 Modification.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=978139

chaffey
12/10/2006, 05:50 PM
2 x 9000 for recirculation
1 x 9000 for feed pump

Feeding on the bottom, NOT the top; My LFS told me that never feed on top, according to him you don't want to disturb the bubbles, let the bubbles form and push to the top by itself. Feeding to the top with mess up the bubbles.

So my feeding pump is on the bottom, aming up toward the recirculation pumps, away from the drain.

ridetheducati
12/10/2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for posting the pix. I know how important pix are, but I did not take any during my mod.

Trust me, do as the instructions and pix imply, you will not be disappointed.

mfinn
12/10/2006, 08:26 PM
ridetheducati,
have you seen or heard anything about the new (supposedly improved) impeller for the sedra needlewheel pumps from euro-reef?

TracyZeuner
12/10/2006, 10:57 PM
I do think it sucks that you have to do all these mods to make your skimmer perform better. They are not cheap and this hobby is very expensive!
ridetheducati:
What does the impeller mod do?

ridetheducati
12/11/2006, 08:59 AM
I have heard about the new impeller. Rumor is the new impeller will provide a performance boost of 17%, which is roughly a gain of 1.3 liters per hour. The new impeller is in the neighborhood of $49.

Now, compare that to the impeller mod explained above. A 50% performance increase for $2.

The stock impeller for the Sedra 9 pulls 5-8 lph.

The modded impeller will pull 11-12 lph.

The mod allows the venturi to pull more air into the skimmer body, thus improving performance.

pad
12/11/2006, 09:02 AM
I for one like to tinker. I think the ASM like is like a discount purchase that you have to put in a little time to complete. If I did not want to meet them partway I would have bought a H & S I think.

Yeah I won't be buying the $50 Euro Reef impeller but I will try this one eventually.

This mod will chop up bubbles finer than the original. I think coupled with a drillout of the venturi will produce many more bubbles.

ridetheducati
12/11/2006, 09:17 AM
I highly recommend that you get an air flow meter to measure the performance increase. I am using the Dywer RMA-22 model.

das75
12/11/2006, 09:54 AM
First off, my tank is a lightly stocked 145g reef, not a crammed predator setup. Though I did get caught in the hype and eventually did the gate and recir mods, in all fairness my G3 worked no problem right out of the box.

Since I run my G3 in a baffled area the water level is constant. For me, the advantage of the gate valve is when first tuning it's a lot easier to turn a valve than move a slick pipe. But pipe or gate valve, found once set, go months between adjusting (and then only after I pulled the skimmer out for major cleaning)

As for the recir (MJ1200 feed), though seems have finer bubbles, it's not like I'm getting tar from the unit. More dark, dark cloudy tea or coffee with scum and I'm happy with that.

rockdiver
12/11/2006, 10:05 AM
I agree with TracyZeuner should'nt have to do so many mods to get preformance. My PM is great My ASM G3 is good to but with all the mods should have stuck with my PM.
I will read more next time.
Overall my ASM is OK.

mfinn
12/11/2006, 02:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8721443#post8721443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfinn
I don't remember where I found these pictures, but I saved them so I could do the mod myself.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11798bigprofile_627.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11798closeup-top_729.jpg

The material used in these pictures appears to be DLS material.

I wonder, which works better the scrub pad material or the stuff in the pictures.

Gutter Guard seems to be almost the same as the DLS.

mfinn
12/11/2006, 02:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8725555#post8725555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ridetheducati
I highly recommend that you get an air flow meter to measure the performance increase. I am using the Dywer RMA-22 model.

Was there any other things that have to be ordered with this?
Does this go on the end of the air line to the venturi?

ridetheducati
12/11/2006, 03:00 PM
There is a fitting that goes on one end of the meter. I believe it is a MPT 1/4" fitting.

venturi --> airline --> MPT fitting --> air meter

The cost of the fitting is less than $1. Dywer sells the fitting also

lowbudget
12/11/2006, 03:52 PM
what is the correct water level for a g1-x? or is there a correct level?

Josh125
12/11/2006, 04:21 PM
I did my initial 3M pad mod. It seems to be pulling more air, however I have no way to measure this. For those that did it, how thick were you able to keep the pad? I had to trim my thickiness down so much that it is a really fine layer of the disk.

Just curious. So far no noise and the water level seems stable enough. I'll pull the pump out again this weekend to check on the pad to see how it's holding up.

mfinn
12/11/2006, 04:29 PM
Did you take any pictures?

RichConley
12/11/2006, 04:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8725469#post8725469 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pad
I for one like to tinker. I think the ASM like is like a discount purchase that you have to put in a little time to complete. If I did not want to meet them partway I would have bought a H & S I think.

Yeah I won't be buying the $50 Euro Reef impeller but I will try this one eventually.

This mod will chop up bubbles finer than the original. I think coupled with a drillout of the venturi will produce many more bubbles.

The problem is, the ASM isnt any cheaper than the better products anymore.

The mesh mod makes a huge difference.

Josh125
12/11/2006, 04:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8728626#post8728626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfinn
Did you take any pictures?

No, I felt it had been documented enough in the Kent's orginal thread. I might pull it back out and snap a pic though.

I did just take a pic of the foam production. I'll be honest, the G2 is a POS in it's stock form. I've been debating selling it for some time. This is the only mod done, less the gate valve mod. I can tell the body can take a lot more air however I think the pad I'm using might not be optimum. I have never seen a foam head like this out of this skimmer. It's promising for even better productinon as well.

http://joshtalley.smugmug.com/photos/116250149-M.jpg

iceman5
12/13/2006, 09:52 AM
how deep should the water be in the section of the sump with my g3? reason is i need to know how high i need to go with my baffles thanks

ridetheducati
12/13/2006, 10:05 AM
7-9", unless your skimmer is recirculating it does not matter.

dwdowney
12/14/2006, 08:33 AM
HELP- I just added a large bio load to my 120 gal and reaquascaped. My G-3 has been going nuts for the last 3 days. It fills the collection cup in a matter of minutes. I took my gate valve mod off but that only helped a small amount. If I don't get it working soon I am afraid I am going to loose everything which would include my new school of Helfrich’s Firefish. Should I cut my stand pipe shorter? My ammonia has spiked up severely. Any Ideas on how fix my skimmer? PLEASE HELP

mfinn
12/14/2006, 08:53 AM
If you are getting a huge amount of water going to the collection cup, try raising the skimmer itself, higher in your sump by a couple inches.

jrmx635
12/14/2006, 08:58 AM
you need to do water changes.
What happened is when you moved everything around all the junk under and in the rocks that was dormant went into the water column and is now able to be broken down.
Plus adding a larger bioload to that makes it worse.
I would concentrate on water changing and let the skimmer keep pulling as much as possible.

dwdowney
12/14/2006, 11:56 AM
I am doing a 15% water change tonight to take care of the amonia, but my skimmer is spitting out clean water.

ReefJerk
12/14/2006, 12:11 PM
Your tank is going through a cycle. Keep up the water changes at about every other day intervals and dose some bacteria. They will help break down the ammonia. Prepare for your Nitrites to be next. You might be looking at a couple of weeks of serious issues. Good luck.

waldomas
12/14/2006, 03:47 PM
Mix ahead plenty of water! Just let the skimmer skim wet and replace the water with mixed, aged, salt water. I will be like lots of water changes. Keep a close eye on SG. Turn off auto top off if you have it.

Rpierce
12/14/2006, 05:12 PM
Question about my G3- I am getting alot of air bubbles out of my output of my skimmer. I have noticed this over the last couple of days. I just cleaned the skimmer cup and pulled out the pump and cleaned it as well. This is a standard G3 without any mods. Any suggestions?

Rick

rykwong
12/18/2006, 05:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8753038#post8753038 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rpierce
Question about my G3- I am getting alot of air bubbles out of my output of my skimmer. I have noticed this over the last couple of days. I just cleaned the skimmer cup and pulled out the pump and cleaned it as well. This is a standard G3 without any mods. Any suggestions?

Rick

Did you clean the venturi/air hole in the pump? It might be clogged. Also, did you clean the air tube?

Fishbulb2
12/18/2006, 05:27 PM
How many liters per minute are guys pulling with the gutter guard mod vs. normal. I'm wondering if this is worth attempting on my euro-reef.
FB

mfinn
12/18/2006, 06:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8725555#post8725555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ridetheducati

Mine finally came today. Plugged it in and the little ball bounces between 7 and 12 l/m

How do you get a accurate reading with that?

ridetheducati
12/18/2006, 06:33 PM
10 lpm. Take an average.

mfinn
12/18/2006, 06:50 PM
But shouldn't it be steady?
It seems to me that if the air is fluctuating like that the level in the skimmer would be also.
Might explain the overflow in my collection container yesterday morning. Had about 15 gallons of water inside my stand and on floor.
First time the little ping-pong ball didn't shut off the flow.:(

ridetheducati
12/18/2006, 06:54 PM
When I had the G4 the meter always fluctuated. About 3-4 lpm swing.

mfinn
12/18/2006, 07:21 PM
Ok, so 10l/m is what I'm getting from the euroreef "new and improved needlewheel"

Made a gutter guard wheel. Give that a try and see what happens tomorrow.

Fishbulb2
12/18/2006, 07:59 PM
hey mfinn,
What model euro do you have?

ridetheducati
12/18/2006, 08:22 PM
The new and improved 17% performance increase impeller is posting a 10 lpm air draw? Wow. I thought ER was trying to compete with the big dawgs. I can not wait to hear how the mesh works for you.

I heard the RC500 pumps (Eheim) were pulling 15lph each.

mfinn
12/18/2006, 08:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8780667#post8780667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fishbulb2
hey mfinn,
What model euro do you have?

I have a ASM G-4x with the recirc mod.
I bought the new needlwheel impeller from euroreef that they sell for the sedra 9000.

mfinn
12/18/2006, 08:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8780869#post8780869 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ridetheducati
The new and improved 17% performance increase impeller is posting a 10 lpm air draw? Wow. I thought ER was trying to compete with the big dawgs. I can not wait to hear how the mesh works for you.

I heard the RC500 pumps (Eheim) were pulling 15lph each.

Well, like I said it is bouncing around. Every once in a whilr it does bounce up over 16 a little.
But somehow I feel something isn't right.
I used a drill bit that was about the same size as the hole to clean out the venturi.
If I enlarged the hole, would that lower performace?

ridetheducati
12/18/2006, 08:49 PM
Performance will increase. Be careful not to thin out the wall too much. I believe I used a 3/16 bit on mine. The 3/16 bit does not fit in the hole, but I slowly drilled it out. Take it slow.

My meter would spike also, but I never counted the peak just like I dont count the bottom value. Keep an eye on the meter. It will develop a rhythm and you will be able to accurately judge the average. Be aware these values are approximates, but it is good enough for our testing purposes.

Some guys cut the nipple off all together, enlarged the hole to 1/4" and inserted a NPT fitting.

mfinn
12/18/2006, 09:17 PM
I don't think I enlarged it hardly at all. More of a good cleaning.
I read somewhere, that someone drilled one out quite a bit and it produced large bubbles.
That might be here in this thread.
I'll try and get a picture of the gutter guard mod I did.
Have to do some software swapping.
Had a huge wind storm blow through last Thursday and I just happened to be on my pc when a power surge hit and fried my primary pc.

sivert55
12/19/2006, 10:45 AM
mfinn, can you post a link for the "new needlwheel impeller from euroreef that they sell for the sedra 9000"? Did that new needlewheel make a big diff? I'm a little skittish about the gutterguard mod... I'd rather have a manufactured wheel than trust my limitted DIY skills.

RichConley
12/19/2006, 10:57 AM
if air draw is bouncing like that, it means the impellar is cavitating. Its those situations where a meshwheel makes a HUGE difference.

Sivert, on my OTP 3000, air draw went from 15 scfh to 35 schf when I went from the needlewheel to gutterguard, and then from 35 to 50+ scfh when I went from gutterguard to enkamat. Yeah, it makes a big difference.

Seriously, thats 6.5lpm->15lpm->23+lpm.

I can't tell how high it actually is now, as its maxing out the meter (5-50 scfh)

mfinn
12/19/2006, 10:58 AM
I emailed euroreef and asked about the new needlewheel impeller. They said it was the one they are selling now in the parts section at www.euro-reef.com

It took about 3 weeks to exchange 3 emails.

Tell you the truth,,,, I don't see a difference.

I didn't get the air flow meter untill I'd modded my old impeller, so I don't have any air flow numbers to compare. I really hate it when I do dumb things.
I wish I had waited and measured the old one and I would also like to see if the old one made the air flow meter pulse.

mfinn
12/19/2006, 11:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8784569#post8784569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
if air draw is bouncing like that, it means the impellar is cavitating. Its those situations where a meshwheel makes a HUGE difference.

Sivert, on my OTP 3000, air draw went from 15 scfh to 35 schf when I went from the needlewheel to gutterguard, and then from 35 to 50+ scfh when I went from gutterguard to enkamat. Yeah, it makes a big difference.

Seriously, thats 6.5lpm->15lpm->23+lpm.

I can't tell how high it actually is now, as its maxing out the meter (5-50 scfh)

What is enkamat?

Also isn't there a point when there can be too much air vs. water?

I haven't had time to try my gutter guard mod, but will it draw air without making the pump cavatate? If I made it right?

RichConley
12/19/2006, 11:20 AM
Essentially thats the biggest change with the Enkamat... (or any mesh for that matter). The stuff is essentially impossible to cavitate.

Enkamat is generally used for pond filters, IIRC. Its a hard plastic mesh. Do a search on Aquaticeco for pics. There have been a couple of people who bought large pieces, and are probably selling some.

Fishbulb2
12/19/2006, 11:25 AM
Hey Rich,
Is there a way to calculate how much air we should be shooting for? Is there such thing as too much air? For example, lets say, purely hypothetically, one had a skimmer with a 3.5" neck, 6" reaction chamber, and 20" height, how do you calculate the optimal air intake. There must be an upper and lower bound I would hope. Thanks a ton in advance,
FB

RichConley
12/19/2006, 11:36 AM
I dont know.

Its generally a play around with it type thing.

BUUUUTTT... I happen to have a skimmer with a 3.5" neck. How tall is the neck on your skimmer?

Fishbulb2
12/19/2006, 11:42 AM
Don't know off hand. I'll have to measure it when I get home. I don't want to hikack this thread with just my concerns though. I'll PM you the info tonight if that's ok. I've been trying to trouble shoot this thing for months and just have no skimmate at all.
FB

ridetheducati
12/19/2006, 11:42 AM
It is never enough air unless you have a mountain of shaving cream escaping thru the top.

The goal is shaving cream.

RichConley
12/19/2006, 11:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8784879#post8784879 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ridetheducati
It is never enough air unless you have a mountain of shaving cream escaping thru the top.

The goal is shaving cream.

The problem is, if the neck is too narrow for the amount of air, you dont get shaving cream, you get a skimmer thats almost impossible to adjust, and is generally just pouring water out the top.

Believe me, I've got a 3.5" neck thats maybe 8" tall, and I've played with anywhere from 8 scfh to 60schf on it (the Deltec Eheims pull 25) and yes, you can have too much air.

ridetheducati
12/19/2006, 12:14 PM
Too much air is better than not enough.

Having too much eliminates a variable. Chasing liters per minute is the latest thing in the skimmer world. The available pumps, Eheim and Sicci to mention a couple, allows us to create different skimmer body types to take full advantage of "too much air".

Skimmer height, diameter and neck size will be the next areas of improvement. All roads lead to defeating the BK at a reasonable price. :)

mfinn
12/19/2006, 12:46 PM
Ok, I'm going to give this a shot.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4193/gutterguardimpellertopow4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1425/gutterguardimpellersidecw3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Fishbulb2
12/19/2006, 12:56 PM
So I assume this a typical needle wheel with the pins initially. Do you need to dremel any more holes through the disc once you've cut all the pins off or do you just leave it as is and zip tie the gutter gaurd through the holes.
FB

mfinn
12/19/2006, 01:03 PM
It was my stock nw impeller. It already had 4 holes in it that I ran the zip ties through. There are some earlier pictures and instructions,,, a page or two back that I went from.

mfinn
12/19/2006, 01:19 PM
Well, I see no difference in the amount of l/m. It still bounces, just like before.
Anyone have some tips on what is wrong?

RichConley
12/19/2006, 02:07 PM
what size airline does your venturi have?

mfinn
12/19/2006, 02:17 PM
It is the stock asm venturi that is on the sedra 9000. Without taking the pump from the sump and measuring it, I would guess at 1/8". The flexable air line has a dia. of 3/16".

ridetheducati
12/19/2006, 05:05 PM
What are your before and after numbers?

The only thing I would do differently is put the buckles behind the disk not in front.

The meter will bounce, heck my H&S A250 jumps 1-2 lpm.

mfinn
12/19/2006, 06:17 PM
I redid the mesh mod and added a 4th layer and put the buckles in back this time.
I got the higher numbers, but the noise was unacceptable.
Made the pump very loud.

I got impatient waiting for the flow meter and made the mod before I got a measurement with the stock needlewheel impeller.
I am curious about what those numbers are so I ordered a new venturi and stock needlewheel impeller.

I took a picture of the meter with the mesh mod on it.
I don't think I could have lived with the noise, even if the sump was in the next room

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8900/airmeter3gq8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ridetheducati
12/19/2006, 08:51 PM
Is it sound from the pump itself or sound from the air being drawn in?

There are DIY silencers for the airlines, but I think you are driving the pump a little too hard. I say that because you are pulling 22 lph, which is impressive, but it is taxing the pump.

Shoot for 15 lpm.

mfinn
12/19/2006, 09:13 PM
The pump is what was making the noise.
I think it maybe from the buckles being on the back side.
When I did the first mod, I used 3 layers of gutter guard and had the wire tie buckles on the from, kind of buried into the mesh.
I really didn't get any increase in airflow and the flow was erratic. The ball bounced like crazy.
I've got to figure out a easier way to change the impellers out. It is a major job getting both ends of the skimmer plugged back in, inside my sump. It's very tight and fustrating.
I bought my skimmer with the recirc holes already drilled in the body from a popular online site. The holes were badly out of line. I agreed to fix it, but even so, I missed by just a tiny bit and it is hard to get them both in.

I have some of that scrub pad material. The 3M synthetic steel wool, coarse, maybe I'll give that one a try.
I wish there was some way to calm the little ball down. If a more even flow of air were going in, the skimmer should be more effective.

Charlie Davidson
12/21/2006, 08:07 AM
(FYI) My sedra 9000 -g4x was pulling 7 before adding my airpump. Now it is 14-15 l/m (same meter)

Since air pump was running less that it could put out-----another mod I have tried recently is adding a air stone. Man--- that really increased and changed the bubbles-- to a very very fine foam---I will have too change my gate valve mod now, because-- I can't lower the water level enought now---to get anything but a very wet skimate. (I like it wet- but this is very light tea colored)

mfinn
12/21/2006, 08:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8798987#post8798987 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Charlie Davidson
(FYI) My sedra 9000 -g4x was pulling 7 before adding my airpump. Now it is 14-15 l/m (same meter)

Now, is that a steady 7 and a steady 14-15 l/m?

IndyMatt
12/21/2006, 09:56 AM
I just did the mesh wheel mod using a heayy duty scrub pad material from Lowes. The scrub pad is made by Quickie I think? I don't have a meter but the bubbles are a lot finer.

Here is a link:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=126041-1738-207GM-12&lpage=none

mfinn
12/21/2006, 09:59 AM
IndyMatt, got a pictures of your mod and the product?

IndyMatt
12/21/2006, 10:02 AM
I don't have pictures but I might have time to take some.

RichConley
12/21/2006, 10:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8788879#post8788879 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ridetheducati
Is it sound from the pump itself or sound from the air being drawn in?

There are DIY silencers for the airlines, but I think you are driving the pump a little too hard. I say that because you are pulling 22 lph, which is impressive, but it is taxing the pump.

Shoot for 15 lpm.

Actually, more air is less taxing on the pump. Air is easier to move than water.

IndyMatt
12/21/2006, 10:07 AM
Is there a reason why you can't epoxy or super glue the pad material to the impellar. That way you don't have to deal with the zip ties making the pump chatter. I had the female ends of the zip ties on the back of the impellar and the pump was chattering like crazy. I moved them to the front and it is better but it is still chattering.

mfinn
12/21/2006, 10:20 AM
I would think the only thing stopping you from using glue, would be the high likelyhood that the glue will fail.

The first mesh mod I did, I put the zip tie buckles on the front, kind of buried into the mesh. I was happy that the noise wasn't anymore than the standard impeller, but I didn't get much higher air flow.
I added another layer of mesh, but this time I put the zip tie buckles on the back. I more than doubled the air flow, but the noise was terrible.

mavgi
12/21/2006, 10:41 AM
you can see on this link the good mesh modify it's perform better foam then the GG mod .

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=966407&perpage=25&pagenumber=27

mfinn
12/21/2006, 10:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8800174#post8800174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mavgi
you can see on this link the good mesh modify it's perform better foam then the GG mod .

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=966407&perpage=25&pagenumber=27

Is that enkamat mesh?

mavgi
12/21/2006, 11:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8800216#post8800216 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfinn
Is that enkamat mesh?

yes and this is the best one :)

IndyMatt
12/21/2006, 12:07 PM
So using three layers of the enkamat mesh is the best. But using the mesh that I am using is still an improvement right? I am thinking about using the 3/16" drill bit to enlarge the venturi hole.

mavgi
12/21/2006, 01:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8800731#post8800731 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IndyMatt
So using three layers of the enkamat mesh is the best. But using the mesh that I am using is still an improvement right? I am thinking about using the 3/16" drill bit to enlarge the venturi hole.

did you measure how much watt your pump take with your mod ?

skidclan
12/21/2006, 01:24 PM
Sorry to sidetrack a little. Does anyone know how to get the venturi hose to stop making the slurping sound as though there's moisture in the line. I took it off and cleaned it out really well.

IndyMatt
12/21/2006, 01:44 PM
Nope, I don't have a meter to measure that either. So is this mesh better than the pins alone?

mfinn
12/21/2006, 06:09 PM
I tried a different mod today.
I bought a scrub pad from a local paint shop called Synthetic Steel Wool made by 3M. I got the course grade.
It seems to be as quiet as a stock needle wheel impeller.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7020/scrubwheel3by4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/4905/scrubwheel4ph7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I think this is pretty good. It seems to be almost twice that of the euroreef improved impeller and it seems to be pretty steady.
It stays right around 13 to 14 l/m but does bounce up to 16 and down to 12, but not very often.

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9411/airflow2jh7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ridetheducati
12/21/2006, 06:16 PM
Mfinn,

That is exactly the material I was using (12 lpm). Congrats, I am glad you found something that works for you. Home Depot sells the scrub pad material attached to a handle, I just ripped the padding off the handle. The pad is big enough to make two impellers.

mfinn
12/21/2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks.
I saw those at Home Depot, but wasn't sure if it was the material being used. I found this stuff at a Kelly Moore store. It came in a package with enough to make 12. Hope I don't have to make 12.lol
I have some enkamat coming, but I'm going to have to find another ceramic shaft. Broke one taking it apart.
Knew it had to happen. Took this pump apart 20-25 times in the last couple days

Charlie Davidson
12/21/2006, 06:35 PM
Looks like your using just 2 small wire ties...??? (to attach)

mfinn
12/21/2006, 08:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8803546#post8803546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Charlie Davidson
Looks like your using just 2 small wire ties...??? (to attach)

I used two 4" cable ties.

mavgi
12/21/2006, 11:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8804648#post8804648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfinn
I used two 4" cable ties.

i send you the mesh today when you get it and make the test you will see the different between:lol:

IndyMatt
12/22/2006, 08:54 AM
I would think that you could enlarge one of the holes on each side of the impellar. Then you would attach the mesh like normal using the cable ties. Then take some pliers and rotate the cable tie so the female head goes through the enlarged hole and rests in between the layers of mesh. This would eliminate the chattering as well as the disturbance on the face of impellar. I will have to try this after the holidays.

mfinn
12/22/2006, 09:12 AM
I did use regular cable ties. I pushed them through the front and pulled it tight enough so that it is buried into the material.
I used a scratch awl to make a hole through the material so the cable ties went right through.
It is fairly quiet. About the same as a stock application.

IndyMatt
12/22/2006, 10:08 AM
Okay I see now, that blue stuff looks like the same exact stuff that I am using but mine is black.

What is the deltec mod? Is that where you just take the elbow off of the sedra and make a straight pipe connection to the skimmer?

Also how do you guys feed your skimmer from your drain. I am thinking about using a 1/2" barb from the drain, to a valve to regulate the flow, and then to another 1/2" barb fitting in the side of the skimmer would this be alright?

Mishap
12/25/2006, 12:04 PM
I'm purchasing a mini g for my 40 breeder tomorrow..... what mods are worth doing to it?

Thanks,

Matt

ridetheducati
12/25/2006, 07:17 PM
Read the thread its all here.

ostrow
12/26/2006, 06:06 PM
anyone use the new euro-reef gen-x or eheim modded pumps on an ASM?

I have a G5 and am even wondering if one would fit? Searched and searched, and ER claims "not to know" ... odd.

mfinn
12/26/2006, 08:37 PM
I bought one of the new "modded impellers" they sell for the sedra 9000 and I got an increase of 1l/m air flow maybe a touch more. They claim a increase of 17%. It took weeks to get any answer about anything from them and weeks to get the impeller.

ostrow
12/26/2006, 09:01 PM
Interesting. A guy there told me that the 9000 impeller actually uses the 5000 needlewheel? Didn't make sense.

I'd like to try out the Gen-x pump, either 2x4100s or 1x6000 but just don't know if it would fit.

Thanks for the heads up on the impellar ... won't waste money on that.

As I have been searching, ER claims they mod the pump motors? Are the Sedra pumps that ASM sells modded at all in that way?

I'm just skeptical of this mesh impeller thing. I don't want to start hacking away at my needlewheel.

I've asked a couple shops that have ER skimmers and ASM skimmers to see if the SP4 or SP5 fits flush on a G5. Will post if I learn anything but if anyone here knows it would be a big help.

mfinn
12/26/2006, 09:07 PM
The scrub brush pad mod I did on the impeller doubled the amount of air flow.
I waited untill my new and improved impeller came before I did any modding.

ostrow
12/26/2006, 09:11 PM
You have the G5.

mfinn
12/26/2006, 09:24 PM
No I have the G-4x

mavgi
12/26/2006, 10:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8831765#post8831765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ostrow
Interesting. A guy there told me that the 9000 impeller actually uses the 5000 needlewheel? Didn't make sense.

I'd like to try out the Gen-x pump, either 2x4100s or 1x6000 but just don't know if it would fit.

Thanks for the heads up on the impellar ... won't waste money on that.

As I have been searching, ER claims they mod the pump motors? Are the Sedra pumps that ASM sells modded at all in that way?

I'm just skeptical of this mesh impeller thing. I don't want to start hacking away at my needlewheel.

I've asked a couple shops that have ER skimmers and ASM skimmers to see if the SP4 or SP5 fits flush on a G5. Will post if I learn anything but if anyone here knows it would be a big help.

you can't go wrong with the mesh wheel , here some info :

you can see on sedra sp5-3c the reading before the mod :

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/PICT0325.jpg

here it's after the mod :

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/IMGP0714.jpg

here it's the genx x6000 after the mod (before it was between 12-14lpm)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/IMGP0716.jpg

this is how you can get bubble size :

big.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/IMGP0120-1.jpg

smaller

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/IMGP0122.jpg

tiny

]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/IMGP0121-1.jpg

here it's a video how it's work :

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/th_IMGP0776.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/?action=view&current=IMGP0776.flv)

By the way the wheel impeller are the same size on sedra 5000 sedra 9000 and the gen x 6000 the guy was right.

if you want to know if the gen x 6000 can fit on your skimmer i can measure on my ER the center of the hole and let you know

ostrow
12/27/2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks mavgi. What's the longest people have run these mesh mods? HOw often do they need to be replaced?

I've read and read and can't figure out which is best, the synthetic steel wool or the enkamat (though I can't determine where to buy the latter so that may be moot!)

Mavgi: is that genx 6000 on the ER CS250? Do you also own an ASM?

ostrow
12/27/2006, 09:26 AM
mfinn, so did you find a mod that works well in the end?

mfinn
12/27/2006, 09:36 AM
The scrub brush mod worked exceltent in a test situation. (I took my skimmer off my tank and put it in a 20 gallon tank with saltwater for testing.)
I just got the enkamat material last night in the mail. I'll do the mod on it later today to see what one I'm going to install on my tank.

mfinn
12/27/2006, 09:46 AM
I should be happy with the scrub brush mod, but I am a little leary of that material clogging up. It is kind of dense, so I will do the 3 layers of enkamat mod and see what kind of numbers I get.

One of the things I want to look at is, how steady is the air flow.
On the gutter guard material, I got pretty high numbers, but the air flow meter really bounced around.
With the scrub brush material, it was about the same as the stock impeller mods, bounced, but not too bad.

I think that the erratic air flow is a "negative" with consistent skimate production.

mavgi
12/27/2006, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8833816#post8833816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ostrow
Thanks mavgi. What's the longest people have run these mesh mods? HOw often do they need to be replaced?

I've read and read and can't figure out which is best, the synthetic steel wool or the enkamat (though I can't determine where to buy the latter so that may be moot!)

Mavgi: is that genx 6000 on the ER CS250? Do you also own an ASM?

i was the first to make the test on the enkmat it's can run long time , IMO you can let it run all the time it's not destroy but you will need to check some time the zip ties because they relase not full open but little bit. (special after the first 2 days).

The gen-x6000 work on the CS250 and i think it's the same size of the ASM G4 , the different it's the neck how it's build .
i suggest to you before you change pump try to make the test on the exist one and see the different.

mfinn
12/27/2006, 11:55 AM
mavgi

One of the things I like about the sedra 9000 is, it's fairly quiet.
How is the gen-x 6000?

ostrow
12/27/2006, 12:00 PM
mfinn, can you email me when you have a chance, where you got that enkamat from? I'm likely gonna try this mod it appears, but first I need an extra impellar from ASM, and want to add up cost of everything first...

mavgi
12/27/2006, 01:17 PM
Sorry D/P

mavgi
12/27/2006, 01:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8834712#post8834712 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfinn
mavgi

One of the things I like about the sedra 9000 is, it's fairly quiet.
How is the gen-x 6000?

Yes you rigth GEN x 6000 not so quiet and even with the regular impeller it's little noise with the mesh it's more noise.

the different is the original ER GEN x6000 It's a monster pump and if you mod it perfect this pump will be to big for 30" high skimmer .

i reduce the air because it's was flood .

ostrow :

i am replay now for your email .

here how it's start to build foam when the skimmer break in :

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/th_IMGP0521.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/?action=view&current=IMGP0521.flv)

mfinn
12/27/2006, 01:25 PM
Well, I just did the 3 layers of enkamata and only got about 9-10l/m.
I'm going to give 4 layers a shot.

mavgi
12/27/2006, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8835335#post8835335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfinn
Well, I just did the 3 layers of enkamata and only got about 9-10l/m.
I'm going to give 4 layers a shot.

some time $ layer can reduce the air .

what you read before the mod ?

can you post picture of the wheel impeller i want to see how you mod it ?

and is the air intake mod also or it's the same size?

mfinn
12/27/2006, 01:59 PM
I'll try and get some pictures up.
I used a stock venturi. I didnot wait untill I had a air flow meter before I started modding the impeller.
I did do a reading of the euroreef modded impeller, which gave a flow of about 8L/M.
I just did a enkamat mod with 4 layers and the impeller wouldn't spin. So as a test I put in the 3M material mod and it jumped back up to 14L/M

mfinn
12/27/2006, 02:31 PM
Ok, here is a picture of the 3 layer enkamat mod.
It looks kind of puny. I got just about 10L/M from it.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/8950/3layer1af6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Here are some of the 4layer enkamat mod. It looked like it was going to really kick some butt.
But the impeller wouldn't spin??

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5576/4layer2xi0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mavgi
12/27/2006, 02:41 PM
i want to see the front and how much zip ties you put .

if the impeller not spin there is 2 reason : the mesh attach the top or the side of the pump , did you try to spin the impeller with the finger and to see it's not block by side of the pump .

the cover can not be close good and the pump will not spin .

and did you trim center for the shaft ?

do you have on the impeller top of it washer ?

mfinn
12/27/2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I trimed it all the way around so it would spin right and trimed the center and I did use the washer.
here's a picture of the top.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/9341/top2hf6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mfinn
12/27/2006, 05:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8835401#post8835401 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mavgi

what you read before the mod ?

I did get a stock impeller and got a reading of about 7L/M

chaffey
12/27/2006, 05:15 PM
I am going to mod my ASM G-6 skimmer and have the pumps hanging. My question is that if the pump is hang and the venturi/air hose has to be vertical OR can it be horizontal ? currently I am planning to have the venturi in a horizontal position, but all the skimmers I looks at have it vertical right next to the pump inlet.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

mfinn
12/27/2006, 05:26 PM
You can spin the venturi to any position you want

mavgi
12/27/2006, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8836391#post8836391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfinn
Yeah, I trimed it all the way around so it would spin right and trimed the center and I did use the washer.
here's a picture of the top.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/9341/top2hf6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

the mod look good ( if the zip ties was the way as i put mine it was better because the mesh can't play when it's spin)

i can't see good but if the mesh bigger then the wheel diameter it's also will not spin. (for me it's llok good but i am not sure).

how old is this impeller maybe the magnet is lose power to and it's hard to spin when the magnet not strong and lose power.
if i am not wrong melves have the ASM sedra pump and when he compare it to the ER sedra pump the result was different the ASM was more weak.

there is another way to try it :

you can start the pump of the water and see if it's spin and then lower the pump slow to the sump (be careful not to make splash around and put on it the elbow).

you can also take out the shaft and the washer and again start the pump of water and then close the cover (some time need to let it spin by finger)

at this way you can see the reading.

IMO this pump need to run on 14LPM with the mesh and 3 layer and after day or two it's need to increase more 2 LPM alone .

if you click on the link you can see wayne_sreef was able to get on his SD9000 with 3 layer 16-17lpm .

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=966407&perpage=25&pagenumber=26

and here is my wheel impeller mod :
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/IMGP0747.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/IMGP0744.jpg

chaffey
12/27/2006, 05:41 PM
Thank you, so I can have it in a horizontal position instead of vertical.

Also I recently modded my G-5 and the problem I am having right now is that the outlet has to be above water level otherwise it wouldn't work right.

I had the outlet underwater a few times and it looked like the water inside the skimmer body dropped. Any suggestion ?

Thank you.

chaffey
12/27/2006, 05:46 PM
Also for the impeller modification, I noticed that you guys chop off the original impeller thingy and replaced it with the mesh. I was wondering would it make any different if I keep the original impeller ( without chopping off the thingy ) and just add the mesh and drill a few holes to tie the mesh down. Would this help ?

mavgi
12/27/2006, 06:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8837054#post8837054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chaffey
Also for the impeller modification, I noticed that you guys chop off the original impeller thingy and replaced it with the mesh. I was wondering would it make any different if I keep the original impeller ( without chopping off the thingy ) and just add the mesh and drill a few holes to tie the mesh down. Would this help ?

it will not work good at all (this was my first test before i chop the pins)

you can put the pump horizontal position but if you connect to it air flow meter and llok godd you going to see you lose air and it's not steady , vertical will pull more air and the impeller will spin more steady also the air.

try that on the H&S eheim pump , sedra 5000 and on the gen x 6000 . on all those pump the reading was higher and steady when the pump was vertical .

MDboyz
12/27/2006, 07:46 PM
After the mod, did you guys get a lot of micro bubbles back to the tank?

mfinn
12/27/2006, 08:35 PM
No, I have my sump setup so that I don't have that problem.

jrmx635
12/28/2006, 11:48 AM
Just to let everyone know,
I have a g3 and the recirc with meshwheel and put a 1" tee on the top recirc tube inside the body.
way less turbulance and skimming.
I have super fine bubbles in the neck instead of large and fine mixed.

mfinn
12/28/2006, 03:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8842073#post8842073 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jrmx635
I have a g3 and the recirc with meshwheel and put a 1" tee on the top recirc tube inside the body.

I don't suppose you have a flowmeter and got any readings before and after?

RichConley
12/28/2006, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8837864#post8837864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MDboyz
After the mod, did you guys get a lot of micro bubbles back to the tank?

Contrary to popular belief, microbubbles are usually caused by the skimmer not drawing enough air (not too much). Basically, it moves to much water, and washed bubbles out the outpuy.

jrmx635
12/28/2006, 09:53 PM
I don't get any micro bubbles through the output.
I feed the skimmer from tank drain at around 150 gph and that is not enough flow to force the bubbles out the bottom of the skimmer.All bubbles flow to the top.I can't see inside the skimmer at all,just a cloud of fine bubbles rising up.I don't have a air meter but the air hose is way louder than before

sivert55
12/29/2006, 09:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8842073#post8842073 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jrmx635
Could you post a pic or simple drawing of your T inside the body?

jrmx635
12/29/2006, 06:36 PM
I actually just took it off and tried a 45* pvc facing upward.
Just experimenting but will let you guys know how it works.

question for you guys.
Anyone notice that after modding with recirc and meshwheel this thing puts out some foul smell.
My skimmer is pulling so much air that my room stinks.wifes mad,any suggestions???

Charlie Davidson
12/29/2006, 06:57 PM
:lol2: Man, that means you have it working... its pulling out "crap" :thumbsup:
Add some kalk (or white viniger) to your collection cup... it will help big time :)

jrmx635
12/30/2006, 09:02 AM
well I think the 45* facing up is working better than the tee.
I think I will try a 45 on the fitting from the tank drain and position that to blow upward to.
I will keep you guys posted.
Where do you guys find the best air/water level is in your skimmer?
I have tried all different levels but am getting impatient.
If I run the level so the bubbles break an inch before the top of the cup,it skims o.k. but very wet.
If I run the bubbles any lower it seems the skimmer isn't powerful enough to force the dry skimmate over the top.Even with all that extra air.
I admit tinkering with it is fun but this skimmer just doesn't compare to etss when it comes to skimming powwer.

jrmx635
12/30/2006, 09:02 AM
well I think the 45* facing up is working better than the tee.
I think I will try a 45 on the fitting from the tank drain and position that to blow upward to.
I will keep you guys posted.
Where do you guys find the best air/water level is in your skimmer?
I have tried all different levels but am getting impatient.
If I run the level so the bubbles break an inch before the top of the cup,it skims o.k. but very wet.
If I run the bubbles any lower it seems the skimmer isn't powerful enough to force the dry skimmate over the top.Even with all that extra air.
I admit tinkering with it is fun but this skimmer just doesn't compare to etss when it comes to skimming powwer.

newtanksmell
12/31/2006, 09:54 PM
I know I'm behind 5 pages, but here is the mesh wheel using the Quickie Scrub Pad from Lowes.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/igozoom/IMG_0617.jpg

jjoos99
12/31/2006, 11:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone has put together a list of mods for this skimmer? I think that it would take a year to get through all the posts on this unit to try and get all mods.
Thanks
jeff

ikatobiko
01/01/2007, 12:01 AM
Strange...I have no problems with the performance of my G6.
It consistently puts out brown smelly skimmate daily.

However, I am all ears when it comes to a cheap mod that will improve the skimmer .

Has anyone experimented with a "brush" wheel design or other similar materials?

I got the 3M material and a few other materials like the plastic scrubby pads. I also bought a few toothbrushes and some cleaning brushes and I plan to somehow cut these down with my dremel tool and fit them onto the needlewheel (with the pins cut).

I have a Dwyer meter and would also like to try the Enkamat material....anyone have any extra that I can buy?

mikeatjac
01/01/2007, 07:08 AM
Has anyone mesh mod a 3500 on a G2 yet? I did and got a little impovement. Just checking to see the results of others.

jjoos99
01/04/2007, 06:09 PM
I bought a used g3 that has the recir. mod using a sedra 5000 for both pumps. Should I do a mesh wheel on both impellers or just the recir pump?
Thanks
Jeff

Ccondo
01/04/2007, 08:15 PM
Just redid my sump because the old one was cracked. My g3 is sitting in 12" water and there are micro bubbles everywhere. What should I do? Skimmer in what that is too deep? If so, now do you recommend I make a stand?

poppin_fresh
01/04/2007, 09:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8898997#post8898997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ccondo
Just redid my sump because the old one was cracked. My g3 is sitting in 12" water and there are micro bubbles everywhere. What should I do? Skimmer in what that is too deep? If so, now do you recommend I make a stand?

My suggestion is to slow down your sump speed. If your skimmer is sitting in 12 inches of water and you are still sucking microbubbles through the return pump the flow is too fast! Slow it down, the bubbles will dissapate and the skimmate will increase... WIN/WIN!

adamatic
01/04/2007, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know what the stock pump is for the MiniG? Can one of the Sedras be modded into use for the Mini or would that blow it up? I'm concerned about the recirc mod because I'm not quite sure how much it can handle, let alone what a bigger pump would do...

ikatobiko
01/04/2007, 11:12 PM
Whatever you do...DEFINITELY do the meshwheel mod! It really works well, it's cheap, it's easy, and your tank will love you for it!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8897812#post8897812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjoos99
I bought a used g3 that has the recir. mod using a sedra 5000 for both pumps. Should I do a mesh wheel on both impellers or just the recir pump?
Thanks
Jeff

Ralph ATL
01/05/2007, 08:15 PM
MICROBUBBLE PROBLEM! I have the G-2 stock skimmer, & I am getting loads of microbubbles in the display tank. I have a mag 9.5 in the AGA megaflow 2 sump, & it has the blue filter in place in the baffle between the main compartment & the exit where the pump is. I checked the venturi hose & the valve, & they are clear. The G-2 is in ten inches of water & the top of the water outlet (of skimmer) is about a 1/2 inch below the bottom of the skimmer cup. Thanks!

zaireguy
01/09/2007, 07:17 AM
I talked to asm.com about modding my g6.they told me on the recirc, I should recirc two of the 9000`s and use the other to feed the skimmer..

how does that sound?I am going to do the mess mod also

kmacartney
01/09/2007, 07:35 AM
Does anyone have a lnk to good (with pictures) directions for the gate valve mod?

jjoos99
01/09/2007, 03:30 PM
I was wondering how everyone is plumbing a drain in the collection cup? The used g3 that I got has to be hand dumped and this looks as if it will be a pain once I get it up and running.
Jeff

poppin_fresh
01/09/2007, 08:40 PM
The only problem I have with a drain is that you will be less likely to scrub down the neck. It is a well know fact that a skimmer loses a lot of performance from the protein buildup in the neck. I like to see it done a minimum of once every 2 weeks..max.

vic8361
01/09/2007, 10:12 PM
could someone please tell me the exact size of the oring on the exaust pipe on a G-4?
Wold like to see if i could buy it localy.
Thanks,
Vic

Bergovoy
01/12/2007, 03:20 PM
Okay, I amn havign a brain freeze.

I have the G-4, and the pump hole and the hole in the side of the main riser do not line up.??

The pump would be rsting in the air. What supports the pump?

The oring / gasket seems weak? IS that all that holds that pipe and water in the main riser?

Please help

A pic or two showing a unit assembled would be of great help

Thanks

Bill

RichConley
01/12/2007, 03:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8934080#post8934080 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zaireguy
I talked to asm.com about modding my g6.they told me on the recirc, I should recirc two of the 9000`s and use the other to feed the skimmer..

how does that sound?I am going to do the mess mod also

Honestly, 1 pump meshmodded should be borderline as to what the 8" body can handle. 3? Not a chance.

kmacartney
01/13/2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks Rob!!

zaireguy
01/14/2007, 11:00 AM
well ordered the uniseals will let you know how it goes,any idea on what pump to drive the g6 after I do the recir mod on the three sedra`s

If it doesn`t do the trick I think I will go with a er or geo

billyr98
01/15/2007, 08:32 PM
Hey guys...

I have the gate mod done already.. it rocks too!

I have a G4x and want to make my sedra do my recirc...
but I want to feed the skimmer with my drain.. My Drain is a 1 1/2" pipe I was wondering if I should tee this and bring a 1" pipe to my skimmer and feed it with this? I am not sure if this is the correct size to feed the skimmer or not? I could always go bigger and Gate Valve the drain into the skimmer and oversize the tee and the rest would go into my sump and I would have control of the skimmer Feed?? Any ideas welcome!!

GoldStripe
01/16/2007, 05:08 AM
billyr98,

I won't say it's impossible to feed the skimmer with the drain but from all I've read it's very tough to get a consistent steady flow due to the drains nature. As far as plumbing into the skimmer, 1" is what you want. Perhaps with some plumbing ingenuity, you could get the drain water to "calm down" enough to be steady. You're on the right track using a gate valve on the drain line to feed the skimmer.

marcusbigdady
01/16/2007, 06:21 AM
zaireguy,
have you tried drilling out the venturi holes and adding larger tubing? I also put 45's inside the skimmer on the outlets from the pumps facing so they would make a circle motion inside the skimmer,this seemed to help alot.

How high is the water level in your sump/on the outside of your skimmer?
Marcus

zaireguy
01/16/2007, 06:39 AM
Hi
yes I drilled out the ventri and that helped.the water is about 6 to 8 inches above the outlet of the sedra`s.I heard the rec mod with the gate and feed mod will make the g6 a very good skimmer

marcusbigdady
01/16/2007, 06:43 AM
i did the gate valve mod,it did help the only thing i have not done is the recirc. mod i don't know if i should do 1 or 2 pumps, i'm not going to direct feed my skimmer.

jrmx635
01/16/2007, 08:17 AM
gate valve mod was useless and expensive for me.
however my recirc mod and mesh wheel mod makes a huge difference.
I feed directly from my tank and I don't know why they say it's not a constant flow.
I run a 75 gallon and my return pump is a rio 2100 cyt back a little.
I should be getting around 150-200 gph through the skimmer.
And my water/bubble height doesn't flucktuate at all.

adamatic
01/16/2007, 04:06 PM
I did the gatemod on my MiniG and I think it helped. I now would like to do the recirc mod - what size pump would you guys recommend for a MiniG?

Dberg79
01/17/2007, 01:47 PM
Anyone know where I could get a Replacement Cone section for a ASM G4x.

jrmx635
01/19/2007, 08:33 AM
what does everyone think of me putting a sedra 9000 on my G-3.
I think it may be too much but might try it.

I'll tell ya though,if I have the opportunity to unload this skimmer for something else I may do it.
It works O.K. but not like the etss skimmers I'm used to

also why is the euroreef so much better than asm's.
I'm not talking quality of acrylic,I'm talking performance.
some of them use the same pumps as asm.

davester1
01/19/2007, 08:51 AM
I hooked up my g3 about 2 weeks ago.

I am getting a couple cups of very GREEN and liquid skim every week. Is that whats to be expected? Should I attempt adjustments? A friend of mine has the same skimmer and his skim is massive and dry.

Your thoughts?

jrmx635
01/19/2007, 09:16 AM
I found that if I don't run a wet skim,my g-3 doesn't coolect much at all.
I did the recirc mod and the mesh mod.They both made a huge difference but I still have to skim very wet.

bozack
01/19/2007, 11:21 AM
I just picked up a Sedra 9000 off Ebay to run my G3 but am having trouble getting the fitting off the pump. Previous guy had it on a Euroreef and said the twist on compression fitting came from Euro roof like that.

Anyone have any ideas how to break the glue or whatever epoxy they use so I can hook it up to the intake elbow on my G3?

ostrow
01/19/2007, 01:32 PM
Ok, I owe mavgi and others an apology. I've been going around talking about how people are "hacking away" and "mangling" their impellers. But I also gathered the material and ordered an extra impeller, and hacked myself (finger) and the old needlewheel.

Last night tried enkamat and the synthetic steel wool (BTW: no need to get that ... large pet chains carry the scrubbie for cleaning the glass, and it's the same stuff and cheaper) in turns.

Not bowled over. Air from 5-7lpm up to 7-10lpm, identical on each.

BUT I wasn't too careful with the enkamat. I cut new pieces, careful to cut larger than needed and in squares. Used scissors to carefully open a small hole in the center of each to slide over the piece on the needle-less wheel. Used smaller zip ties and was careful not to scrunch or pull the enkamat.

POW! 15lpm steady. I can't see well into my G5 ... dirty on outside (calcium/salt). But the foam is unbelievable even in 5min and the hiss from the tubing is tremendous. No way the G5 could handle 2 of these I guess. Lowered water in chamber substantially. We'll see how it skims.

But I can't see how it can be anything but a tremendous improvement.

If it doesn't hold up over time, then back to the stock needlewheel. I do have my doubts that this stuff may just disintegrate...

africangrey
01/22/2007, 02:42 PM
Ok I did my meshwheel on top of recirculating and gate valve mods on my G3, I see water leak out between the sedra 5000 and the cap which holds the impeller, any idea where I can get a replacemet O ring to seal the pump.

africangrey
01/22/2007, 02:43 PM
double post

ostrow
01/22/2007, 07:41 PM
So skimmer was great since my last post, nice thick foam. Water level below the neck in the cone.

Today come home from work and water is flying all over the place, blowing the lid off the collection cup. Water level in tank had not changed. No clue what is up but this is what the skimmer was like before the mod. Crap.

I had to turn the gate valve 2 FULL TURNS to get the water to dip to the bottom of the neck.

Back to skeptical, I guess.

dsquared
01/22/2007, 08:46 PM
ostrow,
My guess is salt creep in the venturi. My G3 plugs fast. Dip the end of the air tube in warm water daily, it should fix you right up.
Dave

atvdave
01/22/2007, 09:16 PM
hey all.

I have the G-3 ASM with a Sedra 5000 pump. I took it apart last night to clean it and seen that a lot of the needles on the impeller where broken off.

Is there a better needle wheel I can replace the old one with? Or is the current needle wheel assy the only one.

http://www.asmskimmer.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24

Also or there any other online vender's I can order from.. like a RC sponsor?

Konadog
01/22/2007, 10:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9049148#post9049148 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atvdave
Also or there any other online vender's I can order from.. like a RC sponsor? Try Custom Aquatic (http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandcategory.asp?brandID=SM&catID=ps)

mavgi
01/22/2007, 10:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9049148#post9049148 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atvdave
hey all.

I have the G-3 ASM with a Sedra 5000 pump. I took it apart last night to clean it and seen that a lot of the needles on the impeller where broken off.

Is there a better needle wheel I can replace the old one with? Or is the current needle wheel assy the only one.
http://www.asmskimmer.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24

Also or there any other online vender's I can order from.. like a RC sponsor?

do the mesh mood with the sedra 5000 it's will be better then the needle wheel .

ostrow :

if you adjust the water level good and test everything there is no reason the mesh will flood th wayer level . (when it's adjust it's stay the same) . maybe there is clog in the air or additive add to the water , and if you move the skimmer or play with it in the sump before you left it's can cause this to .

you can be skeptical it's ok but i run the mesh more then 5 month and i can tell you this : if you mod the mesh good and adjust the water level check it's work the same in first 2 day (because when the mesh spin 2 day it's sit good and increase the air little bit 1-2 LPM) there is no reason it's will flood it's like you adjust regular impeller . and if it's flood after you test all the reason can be like in regular impeller will flood . clog in the air , additive , moving or playing with the skimmer in the sump , water level ....

ostrow
01/23/2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks ... dunno, the skimmer is never moved even a tiny bit. Only adding kalk in constant drip and Randy's 2-part, no changes there at all either. Water level only changes when the skimmer goes nuts (cup fills, removing what, 1.5gal I think?)

Dunno. Did the warm water and vinegar in the airline but the volute was clean as a whistle. Maybe there was a block inside the tubing? doubtful but never know. We'll see.

When it is skimming, the foam is much better. I've only modded one of the pumps as per Melev's skepticism that the ASM can handle more than one of these modded 9000s. I think it was Melev.

Anyway, will keep watching.

ostrow
01/23/2007, 09:25 AM
Someone I very much respect told me to "Take the gate valve off and just run the freaking standpipe." Any clues from people here if/why that would help? Seems the gate valve ought to stop, not cause these problems...

atvdave
01/23/2007, 02:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9049822#post9049822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mavgi
do the mesh mood with the sedra 5000 it's will be better then the needle wheel .

Do you have a link to the mesh mod?

Thanks
Dave

Konadog
01/23/2007, 04:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9054759#post9054759 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atvdave
Do you have a link to the mesh mod?

Thanks
Dave There are a few, but this one should cover it:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=966407&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1005653

TekCat
01/23/2007, 04:18 PM
This thread is HUGE!!!!! My eyes hurt :)

I was wondering, what's the verdict on recirc and meshwheel mod? What I mean, are there the best designs available for both of them? pix, instructions, materials, etc... Is there a "summary"?

mikeatjac
01/23/2007, 05:04 PM
ostrow
The gate valve is far better than the stand alone pipe IMO. Only thing better is the mesh mod.

atvdave
01/23/2007, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9056031#post9056031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikeatjac
ostrow
The gate valve is far better than the stand alone pipe IMO. Only thing better is the mesh mod.

OK.. Educate me on the Gate Valve Mod. ASM g-3.

dsquared
01/23/2007, 07:11 PM
Here you can see the recirluate & gate valve mods. My G3 also has the mesh mod.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/71440IMG_2975_1_1_1_8_1.JPG
Dave

dsquared
01/23/2007, 07:16 PM
ostrow,
Is your gate valve configured like the pic above? It has been stable & easy to adjust On my G3.
Dave

ostrow
01/23/2007, 07:38 PM
Yes just like that except my water level is lower and the output extends down lower. Most have the gate down on the lower left of that pic and I may try to see if it's better that way.

jrmx635
01/23/2007, 10:09 PM
I think I'm gonna try a sedra 9000 or gen-x 4100 on my G-3
I want more out of it.
What does everyone think?

mavgi
01/23/2007, 10:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9052151#post9052151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ostrow
Someone I very much respect told me to "Take the gate valve off and just run the freaking standpipe." Any clues from people here if/why that would help? Seems the gate valve ought to stop, not cause these problems...

I make 2 test on : ER CS250 with gate valve and ER CS-83 without gate valve .

i pull 25LPM with the pump in the CS250 it was to much when the skimmer break in i couldn't reduce the water level (i open the gat valve full) , on the CS8-3 i was able to reduce the water level more .

yes if you will take the gate valve out you will be able to reduce more the water level . if you want you can test it and let the skimmer run after it's work good make a test , reduce the raiser till the end and check where you can low max if you will have enough space then you can mod the other pump to .

if you will be able to run 2 mod pump on this skimmer body then you will see result you never dream on :D (you can do it only if you have enough space to reduce the water level )

mavgi
01/23/2007, 10:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9058766#post9058766 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jrmx635
I think I'm gonna try a sedra 9000 or gen-x 4100 on my G-3
I want more out of it.
What does everyone think?

how much air you pull now with the pumps , you can mod anyone of them .

mavgi
01/23/2007, 10:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9055685#post9055685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TekCat
This thread is HUGE!!!!! My eyes hurt :)

I was wondering, what's the verdict on recirc and meshwheel mod? What I mean, are there the best designs available for both of them? pix, instructions, materials, etc... Is there a "summary"?

wayne reef make the mod recric skimmer (and i suggest to him to mod the 2 pump sedra5000 + sedra9000) the mod work perfect . if you need mesh i can help.

ostrow
01/24/2007, 11:52 AM
Mavgi: What do you mean by "You can do it only if you have enough space to reduce the water level"? Do you mean reduce the level in the sump? I may try it.

Before removing the gate valve I wonder, the way these come from ER , they extend down into the water level in the sump. Wouldn't it be better to have the output above the water line?

Charlie Davidson
01/24/2007, 12:21 PM
Mavgi, G4X feed is from tank return.. sedra 9000-R/C :) what mesh do your recommend. Can you help ;) be glad to reinburse you..

africangrey
01/24/2007, 03:21 PM
Does any one know the ID for the airline tubing for G3, I am trying to get the matching tubing that is ozone resistant, since the one sold by online store is bit smaller in diameter which might restrict the air flow into the skimmer and reduce it's performance.
Any recommendation on where I might get the tubing is appreciated also.

TekCat
01/24/2007, 03:38 PM
On the ozone subject: with meshwheel mod how does it hold up to O3 injection?

And more general one: which meshwheel mod is more robust, I mean which is less likely to be replaced every month?

Charlie Davidson
01/24/2007, 05:09 PM
Euro-reef sells the same tubing.. Good question.. teKcat ;)
BTW, I have owned a OZ generator for @2 years... found it to be unused/unneeded most of the time.
When you have a "good skimmer" operating properly...
JMHO.. :D

ostrow
01/24/2007, 05:29 PM
I re-read, mavgi.

The issue is not flexibility in my gate valve. I can turn it either direction multiple turns. Someone just says the gate valve in and of itself reduces the skimmer's efficiency. This is no bozo out there but I don't have permission to say who it is. I am curious as to the responses.

As I said, I'm going to reconfigure, with the valve on teh bottom and have the output above the water line. I think that should help.

And heck, maybe I'll try modding the ohter impeller. BTW I get only 11lpm on my Sedra 9000 with 4 layers of enkamat. I have the Dwyer meter that pulls on the little ball, so I connect the tube at the top and the ball rises, to just above the 10lpm. I was at about 7 with the needlewheel.

Mine is NOT recirc, and the pumps are in the original configuration.

mavgi
01/24/2007, 10:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9062351#post9062351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ostrow
Mavgi: What do you mean by "You can do it only if you have enough space to reduce the water level"? Do you mean reduce the level in the sump? I may try it.

Before removing the gate valve I wonder, the way these come from ER , they extend down into the water level in the sump. Wouldn't it be better to have the output above the water line?

sorry for misunderstand .

first the gate valve don't give option to reduce a lot the water level in the skimmer body !!!

if you take it out and use standart pipe without the gate valve (like the original way) you will be able to reduce more the water level in the skimmer body you want at least 3" down to be safe if you mod the other pump which it will increase more air and water level into the skimmer body .

the water level in the sump important to but i don't know what is in your sump ?

mavgi
01/24/2007, 10:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9062598#post9062598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Charlie Davidson
Mavgi, G4X feed is from tank return.. sedra 9000-R/C :) what mesh do your recommend. Can you help ;) be glad to reinburse you..

THe mesh i use , if you want send me pm i can supply to you that.

mavgi
01/24/2007, 10:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9065033#post9065033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ostrow
I re-read, mavgi.

The issue is not flexibility in my gate valve. I can turn it either direction multiple turns. Someone just says the gate valve in and of itself reduces the skimmer's efficiency. This is no bozo out there but I don't have permission to say who it is. I am curious as to the responses.

As I said, I'm going to reconfigure, with the valve on teh bottom and have the output above the water line. I think that should help.

And heck, maybe I'll try modding the ohter impeller. BTW I get only 11lpm on my Sedra 9000 with 4 layers of enkamat. I have the Dwyer meter that pulls on the little ball, so I connect the tube at the top and the ball rises, to just above the 10lpm. I was at about 7 with the needlewheel.

Mine is NOT recirc, and the pumps are in the original configuration.

i don't know what type of mesh you use (sorry i couldn't answer to your email , i was in hospital) .

i like to dee the impeller and the setup if you can post some picture it's will be good .

but even if you don't have ricric if you will make it good you will skim better then ever .

TekCat :

i send you PM

ostrow
01/24/2007, 10:57 PM
enkamat from mfinn ... he had leftover. thanks. modded the second, and it definitely is a better mod (I didn't pull the zip ties so tight this time.) getting around 15lpm on sedra 9000 pump.

the gate valve most certainly affects the water level in the skimmer! turned all the way clockwise, the water level is well above the top of the cup and no skimming. turned all the way counter-clockwise, the water level is below the cone in the main body of the skimmer.

on the g5, which is 36" tall, this represents a difference of a minimum of 15".

with the 2 modded pumps, one pulling about 10 and the ohter pulling about 14, i have the water level set to the middle of the cone (meaning, the point where the bubbles begin to become larger). I'll have to adjust down as over time this point will rise.

in a few days i'll remove the zip ties on teh other and replace more loosely.

thanks.

mavgi
01/24/2007, 11:29 PM
Great i want to see some picture when it will be work correct :D

TekCat
01/25/2007, 12:11 AM
magvi, I got your PM ;) I am getting some mesh from fellow reefer, he's got some leftovers. I am sure this had been asked and answered bazillion times. I have Sedra 5000 non recirc on ASM G3. Could you repost or point to the meshwheel instructions for this pump please.

Also, if anyone knows does leaving some or all pins on the original impeller makes sense?

mavgi
01/25/2007, 12:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9068420#post9068420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TekCat
magvi, I got your PM ;) I am getting some mesh from fellow reefer, he's got some leftovers. I am sure this had been asked and answered bazillion times. I have Sedra 5000 non recirc on ASM G3. Could you repost or point to the meshwheel instructions for this pump please.

Also, if anyone knows does leaving some or all pins on the original impeller makes sense?

i cut all the pins on the wheel impeller .

1. cut the pins (be careful on the finger) .

2. make more holes (you want to tie 4 zip ties you can see in the picture)

3. cut the mesh (3 layers)

4. add all the mesh together on the wheel impeller and put the zip ties you start to insert the zip ties to the close hole to the cneter of the wheel like that when you tight them the big part of the zip ties will be far from the center of the wheel impeller and will not touch the washer .

5. start to tight the zip ties again by circle

6. trim with scissor the mesh to the diameter of the wheel impeller (do it form the back like that you will not damage the wheel)

7. cut with small cutter the center of the meh where it's the washer sit but don't cut a lot small piece and move the mesh from the center (if you make big hole you lose more air and youwant to get maxair fromthe wheel)

8. put back the wheel impeller in the pump and turn it manual wit the finger verify the mesh not touch strong the pump body and the shaft free also check the washer sit good on the center of the wheel .

9.close the cover of the pump and turn it out the body of the skimmer first test (put the elbow on like that the water will not splash)

if you see the pump spin it's good sign and youconnect it to the skimmer body .

some time ppl have problem to spin the impeller the reason it's because : the mesh to strong at the first time and after 3-5 days it's will start regular without problem . also the magnet on the impeller can be weak and the first start hard. or the mesh touch the pump top or body and can't spin.

now when it's run take out the air control valve and leave the air pipe free .

reduce the water level a lot not like you do with the regular wheel impeller (just for the first when you find the correct position after it's break in you will know where it's need to be)

give the skimmer 2-3 hour to break in and after youwill see the bubble get more smaller you can know it's break in and start to match the water level to skim wet/dry

if you want to put after all the air valve you will get more tiny bubble but keep it full open because you increase the pump watt with this mod and if youwill close it (clock 1-2 ) the watt will increase 50% more and youdon't want it .

on the first picture you can see the mesh top and how the zip ties sit on it :

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/IMGP0744.jpg

on this picture you can see from the side the zip ties insert the mesh (not cross) and how it's look little puffy.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/IMGP0747.jpg

last part :

when you finish the mod and get good result please post some picture , if you need more any help i will try to do my best .

if i forgot to mention something please forgive me.

good luck :lol:

michael

orangekush4
01/25/2007, 12:51 AM
I am geting about 15 to 18 lpm on my sed 5000 with pin weel.
i moded my impeller and i was not imprest, so i got another impeller from costem.

mavgi
01/25/2007, 01:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9068578#post9068578 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by orangekush4
I am geting about 15 to 18 lpm on my sed 5000 with pin weel.
i moded my impeller and i was not imprest, so i got another impeller from costem.

i tell you honest i never saw sedra 5000 pull between 15-18 LPM

(maybe i am wrong but i think your flow meter not correct or you have monster pump)

there is no any pin wheel impeller (on standart pump) that can create foam like the mesh make , i don't know what mesh you try but on all my test and other member test everyone saw the foam improvement and how the water look realy milky .

if you prefer the regular impeller it's ok but IMO nothing can bit the result of the mesh .

when you make the mod you need to give the skimmer at least 4-5 days and then start to compare it , when you see the collection cup build up with detritus then make compare how this mod skim to the regular pin wheel.

TekCat
01/25/2007, 01:32 AM
thanks Michael!!!!! I think I can do that :) question: what control air valve are you talking about? In my skimmer there are no such thing, I think. The air tube connects directly to venturi fitting on the pump, without any valves.
TIA

marcusbigdady
01/25/2007, 05:12 AM
I have a G6 with gate valve and drilled out the venturi, i am trying some 45's on the out let of the skimmer(inside body) i have tried them at a 90 degree angle now i am trying them pointed straight up to see if this helps and comments on the idea Thanks

mavgi
01/25/2007, 06:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9068721#post9068721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TekCat
thanks Michael!!!!! I think I can do that :) question: what control air valve are you talking about? In my skimmer there are no such thing, I think. The air tube connects directly to venturi fitting on the pump, without any valves.
TIA

the end of the air pipe (not the side that connect to the pump) if it's wide open or there is on it control valve to adjust the air level ?

if it's wide open then it's ok .

marcusbigdady :

i try all the option (90 , 45 , T , 2X90 , 2X45 ) straight up , down and angle. if i am not wrong you try to break the turbulence IMO it's not help to much and when you point the elbow down you increase the water level in the skimmer body .some ppl like it but i don't think it's help .

orangekush4
01/25/2007, 08:21 AM
I will post some pics when i figuer out how.The meter is the same as all the meters peaple useing its a hydrofarm made by dwyer and it gos all the way up to 20 scfh.The meter is brand new.

Konadog
01/25/2007, 08:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9068420#post9068420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TekCat
Could you repost or point to the meshwheel instructions for this pump please.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9055515#post9055515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Konadog
There are a few, but this one should cover it:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=966407&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1005653

ostrow
01/25/2007, 11:49 AM
I'll try and post a pic..... means removing the blasted thing again!

For some reason, my enkamat seems quite thin. I wonder if I could get a 5th layer on the one that is underperforming. Anyone tried 5 on a Sedra 9000?????

BTW I have the 2-zip tie arrangement. I wasn't sure where to drill the additional holes -- again, I'm bad with shapes. In relation to the existing 4 holes, are they to go next to or nearer the outer edge of the circle? What exactly is the advantage of using 4 instead of 2 zip ties?

I have fishing line but can't get my hands around how to secure it. Seems to me the turbulence would make it hard to get it to hold securely.

Mache62
01/25/2007, 02:31 PM
I just got the G1X and I was wondering what this part is. It's attached to the venturi line that comes off the pump...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/pb986baf02013bba8ec4d4b9322300e6d/eaee25d5.jpg

on close up of the part you can see there are 2 lines available. can I use ozone on the other line??
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/p48f5b2bf1e39a83fa9b43d6f84680b0a/eaee25d6.jpg

ostrow
01/25/2007, 02:36 PM
Never seen an ASM come with that before. Doesn't look like a silencer to me or, if it is, not sure how that one would work.

bassetbros
01/25/2007, 03:24 PM
Can anyone point me to a location to purchase the right enkamat material? I've got a G-3 and would absolutely love to see the same performance as you guys are seeing.

Thanks and God bless,
Basset

marcusbigdady
01/25/2007, 03:40 PM
mavgi,

If ppl are pointing the fitting down wouldn't that bust the air bubbles and not be a good thing? So far i have found that the 45's pointing to the side all in the same direction has done the best,But i will give the straight up a couple more days or a week then change up. I think i need to do the recir mod on 2 pumps and let the third one feed the skimmer.. WDYT...

bassetbros
01/25/2007, 03:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9072562#post9072562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mache62
I just got the G1X and I was wondering what this part is. It's attached to the venturi line that comes off the pump...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/pb986baf02013bba8ec4d4b9322300e6d/eaee25d5.jpg

on close up of the part you can see there are 2 lines available. can I use ozone on the other line??
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/p48f5b2bf1e39a83fa9b43d6f84680b0a/eaee25d6.jpg

That looks like the silencer that comes with the coral life super skimmers.

God bless,
Basset

ostrow
01/25/2007, 04:08 PM
Why would 45s pointing down break up the bubbles?

mfinn
01/25/2007, 09:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9048192#post9048192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ostrow
So skimmer was great since my last post, nice thick foam. Water level below the neck in the cone.

Today come home from work and water is flying all over the place, blowing the lid off the collection cup. Water level in tank had not changed. No clue what is up but this is what the skimmer was like before the mod. Crap.

I had to turn the gate valve 2 FULL TURNS to get the water to dip to the bottom of the neck.

Back to skeptical, I guess.

This happened to me when the scrub brush material mod came apart.
I haven't had time to fix it so I just put the euroreef modded impeller back in and it is drawing 9-10L/M.

TwistedTiger
01/25/2007, 09:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9072956#post9072956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bassetbros
Can anyone point me to a location to purchase the right enkamat material? I've got a G-3 and would absolutely love to see the same performance as you guys are seeing.

Thanks and God bless,
Basset

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/4323/cid/1278

mavgi
01/25/2007, 09:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9072956#post9072956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bassetbros

Thanks and God bless,
Basset

here is the picture of it :

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/mavgi/IMGP0712.jpg

bassetbros
01/26/2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks so much Twisted Tiger and Mavgi!!

I’d also like to do the recirc. mod. It seems straightforward enough but I’m a little unclear about one thing. How high up the tube do I need to locate the feed line? Also, after entering the skimmer, should the feed water be directed down or any specific direction?

Thanks and God bless,
Basset

ostrow
01/26/2007, 10:01 PM
Here you go. I am getting a steady 14lpm from one Sedra 9000. The other was at 7 over and over. mfinn had similar problems IIRC. So I tried one more time. I now have 6 layers of enkamat on there and the smaller zip ties are on more loosely. Drilled the extra holes too. With wider zip ties and 4 or 5 layers I was at 7. With the 6th layer, it took about 10secs for the pump to kick on and the air flow meter shows around 11lpm. Hopefully the pump isn't being overly stressed. Seems ok now. No noise (except from the air tubing!)

Pics:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/16612mod_1-med.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/16612mod_2-med.jpg

Not sure at all how anyone is getting 20lpm or whatever they are claiming.

marcusbigdady
01/26/2007, 10:02 PM
i should say bust not break up, that is what is said on one of the posts in this forum,

REMF
01/28/2007, 02:54 AM
Read through a couple of posts on the mesh mod's and my head feels like this :blown:.

I see a couple of different types of mesh being used. Anyone have any input on something that can be purchased local and not ordered online?

GoldStripe
01/28/2007, 06:59 AM
For those of you who've done the recirc mod, how far down did you drill the feed line? I thought a read a long while ago that it should be down further on the body than what asmskimmer.com shows. I've been trying to find that on this thread for a few hours and haven't had any luck. I made the recirc hole last night, now I'm ready to drill the feed hole. I also saw that people used a 45 inside the skimmer to angle the flow which I will do as well. Thanks for the help.

jrmx635
01/28/2007, 09:19 AM
I run my drain into the body of my g-3 just about the middle.then I put a 45* facing upward.
I ran it lower than most becuase I figured it would be less turbulance at the top.also the 45 makes sure the water flows toward the top so there is less chance of it flowing out the bottom drain.

Hightower33
01/28/2007, 02:03 PM
This thread is massive to go through. Perhaps its been mentioned b4.

I was looking for someone else who had a G2 which was great before hand and now has really dropped off in performance. I've lost a lot of bubbles, and thus much less skimmate. I've also noticed an increase in nitrates as a result.

The pump, venturi, air hose is all clean and clear, the whole canister body was cleaned with vinegar. Nothing else has changed since I first got it which worked great.

The only discrepancy I see, is that the Needlewheel itself has a couple broken pins. Would that be enough to make a difference in performance.

If that is the case, should I be buying a new pump, or just impeller?
Doing the recirc mode?

rockdiver
01/28/2007, 02:50 PM
Talking about pumps. What other kind of pump would work good??? The 5000 is hugh looking for something smaller like a Mag or something

jrmx635
01/28/2007, 02:56 PM
do the mesh mod.It will be 10x's better than the needlewheel.
If you buy a new pump let me know how much youd sell that for.
I'm looking to add another pump to my g-3

waldomas
01/28/2007, 03:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9078199#post9078199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bassetbros
Thanks so much Twisted Tiger and Mavgi!!

I’d also like to do the recirc. mod. It seems straightforward enough but I’m a little unclear about one thing. How high up the tube do I need to locate the feed line? Also, after entering the skimmer, should the feed water be directed down or any specific direction?

Thanks and God bless,
Basset

Has it been determined where to drill the feedline? I want to do a direct feed from my overflow to compliment a recirc. mod.
Also, a 45 pointing up to avoid the feed water just going back out the bottom?

Thanks
Waldo

Bergovoy
01/28/2007, 03:57 PM
I too am confused about which material to use on the mesh mod. Enkamat? What is that where do I get it, is it the same thing as the blue scrub pad stuff that was mentioned b4?

How many layers do I use on the G4 withe the sedra 9000?

Does nayone have a little bit they would share,or I could give a few bucks to instead of me running all over hell for??

LMK

Thanks

Bill

acliao
01/28/2007, 04:19 PM
Bill,

I got some Enkamat. Just PM'd You.

Andy

jrmx635
01/28/2007, 04:26 PM
I know there are alot of threads here about this stuff,but if you read through them there are links for buying enkamat.
I used 3m scub pad from lowes.
I acctually set changed my drain 45* out for a 90* facing down to the intake of the recirc 5000. made huge difference.
So my drain from tank goes into my g-3 at about middle of the body.Inside the body I have the 90* elbow pointing directly at the intake of my recirc 5000.
the result is smaller bubbles at the neck and less turbulance in the body.

waldomas
01/28/2007, 04:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9098256#post9098256 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jrmx635
I know there are alot of threads here about this stuff,but if you read through them there are links for buying enkamat.
I used 3m scub pad from lowes.
I acctually set changed my drain 45* out for a 90* facing down to the intake of the recirc 5000. made huge difference.
So my drain from tank goes into my g-3 at about middle of the body.Inside the body I have the 90* elbow pointing directly at the intake of my recirc 5000.
the result is smaller bubbles at the neck and less turbulance in the body.

So you're drain feed is directly above the recirc. intake? Is the intake above (higher than) the output of the recirc. pump? And these are all on the same side of the skimmer body?

Thank you for your reply! :)

detroit_fan
01/28/2007, 05:33 PM
I have had my ASM G3 running for about 4 months now, but recently a started getting a noise from it. It is a suction or slurping noise that can be stopped if you plug the white air tube that comes up from the pump inlet-but that effects the skimming right? Only mod i have done is the gate valve. Is there something i can do to quiet this down- is it ok to restrict the flow in that line?
I have cleaned the air line and the plastic intake piece.
Thanks for any help or advice

GT
01/28/2007, 09:15 PM
Man I cannot wait to do this mesh mod. Did or does anyone have this same senario. I have a G4+, is only has had the recirc mod done. Everthing else is still stock. OK, Its making saome dry brown skimate, and in about a hour I come back to look at it. It has now stopped making anything, and it has the cleanest tiniest bubbles halfway up in the cup, with about 2-3 inches of space between the clean bubbles and the muck it stopped making. Grrrrrrrrr! Now I know my water is clean, but common why does it just stop making tea?

ostrow
01/28/2007, 09:54 PM
That was my problem too. I'm starting to think that this just protein skimming. It's in waves with the cycles of the livestock in the tank. Not going to get thick black stuff continuously.

jrmx635
01/28/2007, 09:58 PM
"So you're drain feed is directly above the recirc. intake? Is the intake above (higher than) the output of the recirc. pump? And these are all on the same side of the skimmer body?"

it's actually on the side near the pump return,just slightly higher.
I don't think the location is that important because you can use elbows to adjust it where you want it.
I did my drain half way up the body just to keep from adding to the turbulance at the top of the skimmer.

I feel these g-3 skimmers are way underpowered.
The recirc and mesh mods are a must to get them to perform.
Mine is on a medium/heavy stocked 75 reef and I hated it stock.
Now with the mesh and recirc it is way better.
However there is no comparison to an etss and I will be going back to the downdraft shortly.
etss skimmers pull way more air and are way more powerful to me.

waldomas
01/28/2007, 10:04 PM
jrmx635,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just wanting to get everything straight so I can do all the mods at once.

I assume you have a sedra 5000 on your G3? I however, hace a G4x with a 9000. I hope it will perform better!

Thanks again,
Waldo

jrmx635
01/28/2007, 10:48 PM
yes I have the 5000 on a g-3
I was thinking of going with a 9000 or gen-x 4100 in place of the 5000
But I also was thinking of leaving the 5000 and adding a second,smaller recirc pump around 300 gph just to force more air into this thing.
I just can't decide what to do yet.
It's only alittle more than a month old
I'd really like to just get rid of it and go back to downdraft.
But there are so many people that swear by them,it's a hard decision right now.

btkrausen
01/28/2007, 11:36 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a new UniSeal for an ASM G1? Member or store, doesn't matter to me.

If you do, please PM or email me at btkrausen@aol.com

Thanks.

GT
01/29/2007, 09:45 AM
ostrow

Have you done the mesh mod?

ostrow
01/29/2007, 09:48 AM
Yes, on both of the Sedra 9000s (ASM G5). Pulling about 12-13lpm on one, 11-12 on the other. Was 7lpm with the ASM needlewheel.

Why?

ostrow
01/29/2007, 07:18 PM
Came home today, and water was everywhere. The water level in the skimmer went so high the top was bouncing up and down above the collection cup, splattering water all around.. Miracle it didn't trip a GFI it was that bad.

When I went to work in the morning, there was no more than 1/16" of skimmate in the cup, top of foam was halfway down the neck.

Annoying as all hell.

coralfragger101
01/29/2007, 08:56 PM
I got 2 G-3's and a mini. To date, none of them are modded. I'm tearing down my systems to concentrate on one larger system. I was debating selling the ASM's and just buying a different skimmer but so many of you seem to think these are good skimmers after the mods are done that I think I'm going to try it. I haven't read this entire thread so I don't know if this has been discussed or not.

My idea is to do the mesh mod on the needlewheel as well as the recirc mod.

In thinking which way to go with the new feed that I would need I was pondering using the pump from the mini. This would add even more air into the skimmer but would slow the flow. The slower flow would also allow the recirc pump to actually recirculate the water more giving even more dwell time.

Has anyone ever tried this?

LxOxSxI
01/29/2007, 10:20 PM
Please no more questions on what is Enkamat:

Colbond - click products for Enkamat (http://www.colbond-usa.com/)

Where to get it?

Here (http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm...d/4323/cid/1278) as someone suggested.

But why bother when you can get free 3x5 samples:

Samples (http://www.colbond-usa.com/literatureRequest.html)

Try EnkamatPlus for a higher durability version, and stay away from EnkamatII as it's biodegradable.

GT
01/29/2007, 11:16 PM
ostrow
Was just wondering if you had done the mesh mod. You were having the same thing happining that I am with the needle wheel. Did you fid out why your skimmer went crazy?

zaireguy
01/30/2007, 06:37 AM
can you pick anything in the free samples to get it? or do you need to check a certain box?

thanks

LxOxSxI
01/30/2007, 08:24 AM
there's a box for what product you'd like a sample of you just type it in. If you go to the link it's pretty easy.

bassetbros
01/30/2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks so much for the links LxOxSxI!

I just ordered my free samples.

Also, since we're all looking for more air and the right size bubbles, what would be wrong with using the sedra as normal and just drill two more holes and add an additional needlewheel for the recirc pump? That sounds like it would produce an awesome amount of bubbles.

God bless,
Basset

ostrow
01/30/2007, 09:23 AM
Only thing I can think of is that the cap on the pipe that goes up from the gate valve fell off. Not sure why that would affect the water level in the skimmer but it seems that it may have. Have it on there tighter now. Seemed to be skimming ok this morning. But we'll see. Good foam in the neck now. Cup could well be going nuts by 6pm. So no, no idea.

TwistedTiger
01/30/2007, 11:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9112974#post9112974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bassetbros
Also, since we're all looking for more air and the right size bubbles, what would be wrong with using the sedra as normal and just drill two more holes and add an additional needlewheel for the recirc pump? That sounds like it would produce an awesome amount of bubbles.
You have to be careful that you don't create too much turbulence. If you're talking about two sedra 5000's on a G3 I think that would be way too much. JMO