PDA

View Full Version : Sexing various species

ryan115
12/10/2006, 03:08 PM
I have been toying with the idea recently about having a tank with all pairs. But in order to do this I need to figure out what sex my fish are. Are there any ways to sex:
Randall's Goby Amblyeleotris randalli
Tail Spot Blenny Ecsenius stigmatura
Yellow Clown goby Gobiodon okinawae
Sunburst Anthias Serranocirrhitus latus

I have done some research and couldnt really find much info on sexing these species.

Angel*Fish
12/10/2006, 07:00 PM
That's a toughy - many will say there's no way to tell.

I've been trying to get info on sexing Red Sea mimic blennies. I have 2 in my tank, one I believe is gravid. Her color is the same as the other fish except darkened. I don't believe she looked this way until associating with the male. And I have no idea if it's permanent.

If I find any info on blennies I'll post it here.

I don't think it's that hard to find sunburst pairs when they are in. And contrary to what you may have read, they do form harems of 1 male with a couple of females. You might want to check on their temperature requirements - they may be more long-lived in a cooler tank. Anyway, juveniles are obtainable.

Sorry I can't be of more help

ryan115
12/10/2006, 10:26 PM
thanks for the help. The only inclination I have for a sex on most of my fish, is the tail spot blenny. "He" is developing somewhat of a lyretail...so I dont know if that would lean more towards being a male as in some other species.

SDguy
12/10/2006, 10:29 PM
I believe the fathead anthias are more pink as females/juveniles. Just buy different sizes, it'll work. No idea about the other fish, sorry.

ryan115
12/11/2006, 10:00 PM
bump