PDA

View Full Version : Sand selection???

grouper25
12/10/2006, 08:42 PM
I am launching my 220 reef this week and have some 10 bags of live sand at 29.99 per bag. I will need more and was wondering what I could mix in with it that is not $29.99 per bag. Any suggestions????????

Going Shopping Monday.
Thank Mates.
G 25

kau_cinta_ku
12/10/2006, 08:51 PM
play sand will work fine. home depot sells 50lb bags for around 5.00

loves saltwater
12/10/2006, 08:53 PM
Mixing it will not be a problem

poppin_fresh
12/10/2006, 09:05 PM
Well rinsed playsand will be fine, as will dry aragonite sand. Both will be less than live sand.

If you use playsand, add it first so the whiter live sand will be on top. It will look better that way because the playsand can be kind of brown/yellow.

grouper25
12/10/2006, 09:16 PM
That was the first concern, that the playsand would be a yellowish color compared to the white live sand. Is the aragonite a more whiter shade than the play sand???
Thanks
G 25

bertoni
12/10/2006, 09:38 PM
Aragonite is much whiter than the common silica play sand that I see.

Most any sand will work for a shallow sand bed, although the coarser grades are more cleanup work, in my experience.

popimp06
12/10/2006, 10:18 PM
use agronite 40lbs for cheap and seed it with a dertivore or live sand kit

Steve 926
12/10/2006, 11:54 PM
I noticed in the HD last night a white play sand, a silica sand. The bag had also listed on the front that it was not recomended for landscaping, hard cover(whatever that means) or aquariums :confused: Finding southdown or an aragonite sand is like winning the lottery. Any one famillar with this HD sand :rolleyes: from the looks of it, it's very white and somewhat fine. I know that silica can scratch the glass, but is that the only reason to not use it.

Whats your Opinion :rolleye1:

AquaKnight
12/11/2006, 12:15 AM
I'd like to know those questions as well...

bertoni
12/11/2006, 12:56 AM
Lots of people have been successful with silica sand. If you just want a shallow sand bed for looks, it's probably fine.

staticx
12/11/2006, 06:18 AM
The reason they say that it is not recommended for aquariums is due to a contractual agreement. I got 100 lb bag of silica sand from home depot for 7 bucks and it is doing fine. I hat to say it though I think you wasted alot of money on that live sand. I dont bellieve anything can stay live in a sealed bag without light or food for any length of time.

Steve 926
12/11/2006, 10:53 AM
Thans for the reply's :D
Would like to hear from others who have had a long run using the silica sand. I know that the aragonite offers some buffering, :cool: But is it that essential with the LR & all the additives being used :confused: This HD white sand is a white as any I have seen, in traveling through the islands :) (No, not long Island, or Staten Island :lol: )

Any one else :rolleyes:

As Always Thanks For A Reply ! :D

Steve 926
12/11/2006, 11:07 AM
Forgot to add this.

When rinsing this silica sand, will tap water work :confused:

Some say that rinsing the aragonite sand with tap water, will contaminate it due to it being more porous.

Whats your opinion :rolleye1:

poppin_fresh
12/11/2006, 12:31 PM
Tap water is fine. The amount of stuff it might hold on too is very negligible in my opinion.

bertoni
12/11/2006, 12:38 PM
The buffering effect of any type of aragonite or calcium carbonate sand is effectively zero. That's really just marketing hype.

sttroyiii
12/11/2006, 01:18 PM
I used HD sand in my tank. I have between 2-3". I set the tank up in April I think, and its been fine. At first, it really wanted to blow around and I had to keep the powerheads aimed up high. Now that it is laden with bacteria, it doesnt move very much unless under direct flow. It is working just fine for me. I have plenty of little critters that live in the sand. Ive never had a problem with hair algae or anything else that is associated with sand. The bagged live sand is definitely a brighter white, as a I have a smaller tank with it. If I had the money, and was going to do it over again, I would go with all live sand called 'oolite' or something like that. Its very fine but is still bright white. I would definitely mix the HD sand with what you have, go for it.

Steve 926
12/11/2006, 10:34 PM
Well Thanks to all !:)

Purchased 3 bags tonight, 120 lbs total for $12. The product listing says that a very small percentage of silica is contained within the sand, and They advise that you do not inhale the dust for prolonged periods of time ( Try that one underwater! :lol: ) We'll see how it goes. :smokin:

grouper25
12/12/2006, 08:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8731663#post8731663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steve 926
Well Thanks to all !:)

Purchased 3 bags tonight, 120 lbs total for $12. The product listing says that a very small percentage of silica is contained within the sand, and They advise that you do not inhale the dust for prolonged periods of time ( Try that one underwater! :lol: ) We'll see how it goes. :smokin:

Steve, can u tell me exactly the brand u purchased. I was there yesterday and they did not have anything markedpaly or silica. Just stuff made by Sackreet. Looked very yellow.
Thanks,
John

6stang9
12/12/2006, 01:44 PM
it's called kolorscape white play sand packaged by old castle. stuff works great. i wouldnt waist money on live sand.

chrisstie
12/12/2006, 01:55 PM
Just a thought.. LR can be out of the water for nearly weeks before it goes in your tank in a dark box.. and yet bacteria and what not live on it..

Things at the bottom of the sea live by hydrothermal vents around outrageously high temps with a severe temp drop off away from the vents in pitch black..

I think what makes sand "live" and worth at least seeding a tank with is the bacteria and perhaps microscopic creatures that could easily survive in a bag so long as you follow the expiration date...

Now whether or not you get something of good quality and it actually works who knows you'd need to really set up a good experiment to tell.. I think that "live" just has a misconception of us being able to tell that there is life on it.. versus it existing right beneath our noses.

GreenBay1
12/12/2006, 02:45 PM
Lowes has bags of very fine crushed marble for $6.00 per 50 lbs. bag. It is white as snow and finer than sugar if that is something you might like, I hope it helps. I am going to try it on a 20 long I am setting up.

GSMguy
12/12/2006, 02:46 PM
i paid 20 dollars for 20 pound bags of aragalive find a better LFS

grouper25
12/12/2006, 05:03 PM
I went to HD today and took a small sample of thier sand . Came home and placed it in some water and matched it up to my Fizi Live sand. Night and day difference in color as it is very yellow when wet.
I may try the Kolorscape mentioned above as the $30 pop per bag is outrageous.

G25

Nano Chris
12/12/2006, 06:21 PM
I took 2x 20lb bags of Fiji Pink Live Sand, and 1x40lb sea floor and mixed them and turns out them look the same color and same size, i saved a lot with going this way, while seeding the regular sand. My tank is a 90 gal and i have 80lbs in and it looks great, i might add another 20lbs or so of the dry sea floor sand, just be sure when you add sand to mix it into the other substrate thats what is recommended.