PDA

View Full Version : First saltwater tank ever

Jayelle
12/10/2006, 09:53 PM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post and my first saltwater tank. I have had freshwater tanks for 25 years or so but never had the nerve to try salt. You all know the drill. Everyone says they are very difficult, etc.

Anyway, I am still wading through the TONS of awesome information on RC but I'd appreciate it if someone with more experience than I have could take a quick glance over at my stuff and tell me if I am on the right track.

I have a 75 gal tank that I just started a week ago with 60 pounds of live sand and 40 pounds of live rock. No fish yet, though the guy at the LFS told me I could put a pair of clown fish in this weekend! No worries, I did not take his advice. Levels at the moment are 1.017 for SG if you can believe the silly Deep Six thing that gives me a different reading every time I use it. The LFS told me it was at 1.021 when they tested it 3 days ago. Ammonia is at .5 and nitrites are at .25. Nitrates just hit 5 this morning, the first time they've shown up. I know I have some more cycling to go through but something must be working because this seems like the fastest cycle I've ever seen.

My main question is do I have my 40 pounds of rock set up in a good configuration? The LFS told me I'd need 70 pounds but the 40 looks pretty good to me. Do I really need more? Here's a picture:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/jayelleshines/IMG_1503.jpg

Other equipment: I have an emperor 400 filter which seems to make most experts raise a brow and then say "OK" as if it is not the best choice. Hey, it was free, and I have a thing against filters that can overflow all over your floor when the power goes out, as happened to me when I actually spent the money on a canister filter. That thing was the worst filter I've ever seen. But anywho...I digress. I also have a Stealth (by Marineland) 250 watt heater and a Maxi-Jet900 power head which is aimed sort of at the middle front of the tank.

Lighting: just the standard T12 40W 2ft. bulbs (and only two of them work right now). My intention is to havea reef tank down the road a bit and I intend to upgrade to better lights once I am ready to go with some corals (and get over the initial investment cost) but I figured I had better start small with just fish for now.

If anyone wants to give advice I'm happy to hear it. Thanks!

Timmy44221
12/10/2006, 09:58 PM
I think more LiveRock would look better and also It will add more to the filtration. Also Ditch the power filters, get more powerheads as ou want lots of movement. Also I didnt see a protien skimmer on your list. I reccomens a Coralife Super Skimmer 220

casingbill
12/10/2006, 10:02 PM
more rock

Jayelle
12/10/2006, 10:06 PM
Timmy are you saying if I have a protein skimmer (on my Christmas list) and more powerheads that I don't need a filter?

popimp06
12/10/2006, 10:12 PM
i put 80lbs in my 75

drummereef
12/10/2006, 10:12 PM
1lb/gallon of live rock is minimum, imo. For circulation you should aim for at least 20x times turnover if not more depending on what you want to keep. For a fowlr, 20x would be ok. You can ditch the powerfilter if you'd like, but it's a place to add some carbon in the future. Remove any mechanical media you have in it. Basically you are looking for an adequate amount of live rock, plenty of flow, a quality protein skimmer, and a proper amount of light. That's all you really need. And a heater of course.

Don't forget your testkits too. ;)

Pete1399
12/10/2006, 10:13 PM
I would say your overall aquascape looks nice by creating the "caves". I think you need more rock though to build up your reef. It looks very nice when you have the caves with rocked stacked above and/or below. This also creates a place for your fish to hide out in when they want to. For a fish only tank I wouldn't stress about your equipment too much. Like you said you don't want to buy a lot of equipment right away. I also like the CSS 220 since I use one...:) Your SG looks ok for a FO. Later down the road I would definetely invest in a refractometer. drsfosterandsmith.com have a good refractometer for a good price.

chinaman4u
12/10/2006, 10:28 PM
I bought clownfish over damsels as a starter fish. I don't think buying the fish is a bad idea. At the time they were $8, now they want to much for them though. Have fun setting up!

Jayelle
12/10/2006, 10:37 PM
Chinaman,
I definitely want clownfish over damsels, I just wanted to wait a bit to put them in, especially since I am not sure what I'm doing about the LR yet. If I add a ton more LR I don't really want fish in there while I am rearranging (the sandstorm was spectacular) and while the tank is re-cycling. Or do I? Decisions!

People keep telling me that damsels are good starter fish and I can sell them back to LFS when I'm ready, but I'd rather wait till the tank is more stable and get fish I know I want to keep, so I don't have to go through all the hassle of catching them.

I guess from the responses here that I will be getting more LR. It will have to wait till next month though since the cost of this batch was pretty high. $6 /lb * 40 lbs, ouch!

Bonsai7255
12/10/2006, 10:48 PM
I started out with a blue damsel. Complete nightmare when I needed to get it out. Had to take almost all my live rock out in order to catch it.

casingbill
12/10/2006, 10:49 PM
ebay is about $2 a pound

zrs6v4
12/10/2006, 11:05 PM
I have a coralife super skimmer 220 with a needle wheel pump for sale I have had it about 2 weeks and am breaking down my tank. I have its box and instructions still. I paid right at $200 I will sell for $125+shipping.. thanks