PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever tried one of these?

kartracertj
12/10/2006, 10:24 PM
Anyone ever used a won brothers (Clean-up 300) or any of their other skimmers. I am looking to get a new skimmer, I am really tight on money but dont want junk. I have about 88gal. of water sump and all, i am really on a tight budget because I have lost my job due to my college schedule. I had a POS seaclone and it didnt work at all. My tank is in need I have hair alge and I have plenty of flow, I feed small amounts, only two fish but a bunch of coral. I also use RODI water. So if any of you guys have thoughts on this skimmer or have a skimmer you would be willing to part with CHEAP or a good pump you would get rid of. Please help my wife is getting very frustrated looking at the alge take over everything. Even my 2 year old ask "why is all that stuff in the quarium" HELP ME.

kartracertj
12/10/2006, 10:58 PM
anyone?

xbambamx
12/10/2006, 11:06 PM
Go to petsmart and get a emperor 400 for a pump, they're like 40 bucks and they work well

kartracertj
12/11/2006, 09:34 AM
So no one has a skimmer for cheap, and i mean cheap or can anyone tell me of any experience with a Coean-up 300.

HBtank
12/11/2006, 09:53 AM
Coralife Super Skimmer or Octupus Skimmers seem like the best bang for your buck right now. Both work great, can fit almost any system and are cheap.

Also you might want to run a phosphate remover and do more water changes. Keep being mindfull of how much you feed.

Lowering your potential nitrates with a skimmer and phosphates with a reactor/cannister can dramatically reduce algae.

How old is the tank and what size? How much live rock/sand do you have? How many fish etc..?

There are some other solutions for hair algae control (other critters etc..), do a search..

jimbo045
12/11/2006, 10:36 AM
SeaClone 150 is my pick. JD

chrisstie
12/11/2006, 10:57 AM
If you have the ability to save or ask for help over the holidays I'd go for a good quality skimmer - browse the reviews people post in the sponsor forums.

I'm on a tunze kick right now - a bit expensive but worth every penny imo

kartracertj
12/11/2006, 01:19 PM
LOL seaclone 150, yeah tried that they absolutely suck!!

somethingphishy
12/11/2006, 01:39 PM
try adding some macro algae....cheaper than buying a new skimmer if you do not have the funds to purchase one soon

kartracertj
12/11/2006, 09:26 PM
I just got a bunch of macros today at one of my lfs I hope it helps I also think my friend is going to give me a nautalis ex 30 and another custom skimmer to try and he said if one of them works for me I can have it.