PDA

View Full Version : How much INTERCEPTOR?

jjmcat
12/10/2006, 10:50 PM
I was wandering how much do I need for my system?Ive got a 110 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump.The sump only has around 40 to 45 gallons of water in it.Would one tab be to much?

kirstenk
12/11/2006, 12:22 AM
Here ya go.

TREATMENT (http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859)

jjmcat
12/11/2006, 12:27 AM
thank you very much.

dukes707
12/11/2006, 10:20 AM
wow, those are some pretty freakin involved instructions

tradosz
12/11/2006, 10:55 AM
One suggestion. The active ingredient in Interceptor is manufactured in a way that does NOT insure the ingredient is evenly distributed within the pill. So if you need to use 50% based upon your calculations, 1/2 of the pill can be within a large range of the active ingredient. What i did was completely dissolve a crushed pill in 1 gallon of RO/DI. I then poured the percentage of the gallon called for into the tank. This will give you a much more accurate dosage. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

rutz81
12/11/2006, 04:43 PM
Easier than that: crush up the pill, use like 3/4(you'd be fine with the whole pill, too) mix with enough water to dissolve the powder; turn off skimmer, ozone, carbon, uv. (run skimmer for half an hour to kill any bugs in skimmer water) dump in mixture before you go to bed, in the morning do an immediate 10-15% water change, change carbon. Change carbon again after a couple days. Don't think I left anything out... Wait a week, repeat. It's really a pretty easy treatment.

2crazyreefers
12/11/2006, 06:31 PM
Yeh what rutz81 said is what I did except I left the skimmer going but plugged the airline. I also repeated for a third week just to make sure. I used 1 pill each time for my 180 sps with 55 sump.

Justin/TiV
12/11/2006, 07:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8726142#post8726142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tradosz
One suggestion. The active ingredient in Interceptor is manufactured in a way that does NOT insure the ingredient is evenly distributed within the pill. So if you need to use 50% based upon your calculations, 1/2 of the pill can be within a large range of the active ingredient. What i did was completely dissolve a crushed pill in 1 gallon of RO/DI. I then poured the percentage of the gallon called for into the tank. This will give you a much more accurate dosage. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

dang...I never thought of that...i did my first treatment last thursday, getting ready to do my second this thursday. Allready too late...but for my third treatment I'll do this with my last pill, thanx for that post

Justin/TiV
12/11/2006, 07:48 PM
oh...and plugging the skimmer airline, thats a good one too.

I don't get why you guys are telling him to use so much though...one pill treats 380 gallons

jjmcat
12/11/2006, 08:36 PM
So id be ok with using a half then.How long after the treatment did it take for your pods to come back?My only fear is that I have a 7 to 8 inch sand bed in my sump.Will the die off from the pods and bristle worms be harmful to my tank.Do I need to move all my macroalge to another tank or just knock it off as a loss to the treatment.I also have a fire and skunk cleaner and a huge starfish,not to mention my cleanup crew.How much time would you recomend we waiting before placing them back into the reef.I just purchased allmose 2 ponds of carbon tonight so im wondering if I have enough.

jay24k
12/11/2006, 08:47 PM
Please post where interceptor is not evenly distributed. This has been stated on here before and was proved to be completely false.

On another note, I'd just use a whole pill. It won't hurt anything and imo wouldn't you rather have the bugs dead with a stronger dose. There have been people who recommend multiple treatments but in reality, they are live bearers, and do not lay eggs so once they are dead, that is it.

Make sure your skimmer is running without the collection cup and I'd remove the venturi that pushes air into it. A better option is to pull it out completely, clean it and lay it aside.

Good luck with it.

tradosz
12/12/2006, 08:58 AM
When I picked up the Interceptor at a local Vet (we no longer have dogs), and he read the instructions that I printed out regarding its use for red bugs, he realized that I may only need a portion of the active ingredient. He was the one who explained that the active ingredient is not evenly distributed throughout the pill. I'm no Vet. Just ask the Vet you use when you purchase the Interceptor, if you need this verified. It's been almost 1 year since I used the treatment. Could be the manufacturer has since changed how they manufacture the pill. But then again, Interceptor does have a a beef flavoring added to the pill, and it would seem to be difficult to mix everything so that all ingerients are evenly mixed. One side note, immediately after I noticed the red bugs dying off, the polyp extension on all the sps was very intense. Suspect that they also enjoyed the beef flavoring.

chrisaggie
12/12/2006, 10:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8726142#post8726142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tradosz
One suggestion. The active ingredient in Interceptor is manufactured in a way that does NOT insure the ingredient is evenly distributed within the pill.

What is your basis for saying this? Any source?

Serioussnaps
12/12/2006, 12:16 PM
It can be evenly distributed......you just cant be sure of it....no need to flame

jdieck
12/12/2006, 12:25 PM
The normal dose was about 1 pill for 350 to 380 gallons, latest tests by Borneman show you need at least twice as much to be effective so I would recommend you use a full pill for your 150 or so gallons of water.
Another thing I would recommend is that if you have euphylias (frogspawn), ancoras or torch corals, inspect them well for bugs also. (Yes, red bugs are no longer limited to acros) Bugs on those LPS will not be killed by even a double dose so I would recommend if they have infestation also take them out and treat them outside the tank with at least 10 times the dose.

chrisaggie
12/12/2006, 12:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8734853#post8734853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps
It can be evenly distributed......you just cant be sure of it....no need to flame

I am not flaming at all. I have just seen this "rumor" being passed around RC for a while now, but there seems to be no evidence for this.

tradosz
12/12/2006, 12:29 PM
All I can say, if you're going to treat, do whatever you want to. It's your tank and investment, not mine. All I know is what I've been told by a Vet, what appears to be the safest way to use as an exact dosage as possible, and what worked for me.

chrisaggie
12/12/2006, 12:36 PM
I understand. I think pill manufacturers take into account that people cut pills though. I believe that these pills are well mixed.

Justin/TiV
12/12/2006, 12:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8734907#post8734907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck
The normal dose was about 1 pill for 350 to 380 gallons, latest tests by Borneman show you need at least twice as much to be effective so I would recommend you use a full pill for your 150 or so gallons of water.
Another thing I would recommend is that if you have euphylias (frogspawn), ancoras or torch corals, inspect them well for bugs also. (Yes, red bugs are no longer limited to acros) Bugs on those LPS will not be killed by even a double dose so I would recommend if they have infestation also take them out and treat them outside the tank with at least 10 times the dose.

I'd like to read this info from Borneman, where can I read this new info...I'm in the middle of doing these treatments now

kwl1763
12/12/2006, 01:04 PM
Look I work for the manufacturer and while of course there is no 100% sure way to tell it would be almost impossible for it not to be at least close to evenly distributed. The formulation (of almost all meds actually) is mixed in big batches then divided up by dosing size etc, then mixed with the non active fillers then made into pills. Since we have to be sure a roughly equal amount is in each pill almost by neccessity it is evenly distributed over the pill.

tradosz
12/12/2006, 01:51 PM
Keith, This is getting to look like that proverbial horse that is dead. My only point was to suggest a "more accurate" way to determine dosage for this application. I'm sure the manufacturer never intended this medication for this use. I suspect the meds are made into different dosages based upon a dog's weight, never intending, for the most part, to be cut. Maybe the original Vet "mis-spoke" when he made the statement to me. All I know is that I would feel more comfortable as to an accurate doseage by dissolving a pill first. Even if the odds were 1 in 50, 100, or 500 that the active ingredient would be higher in a cut pill and could result in a much larger dosage, with the investments we all make, it's not worth the gamble to me.

Maybe the horse is now dead. Now that I think about it, maybe my wife is right that I seem to always want to get the last word in. Oh, well. Maybe someone will prove her wrong.

jdieck
12/12/2006, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8735111#post8735111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin/TiV
I'd like to read this info from Borneman, where can I read this new info...I'm in the middle of doing these treatments now
Here you go. Lots of info here:

http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes-content/Research.html

Justin/TiV
12/12/2006, 04:09 PM
THANX

jjmcat
12/12/2006, 09:06 PM
I thank you all very much.

Justin/TiV
12/13/2006, 12:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8734907#post8734907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck

where did you get this info about the LPS being infected...I've never heard of this ??

jdieck
12/13/2006, 03:21 AM
About a month ago I read a post here frome someone and my reactions was to discount it. My frogspawn and torch for quite some time did not expanded as much as they used to and I was blaming the lighting but I took a good magnifying lens and inspected the polyps, and certainly there they were. I found their poyps infested with the typical tegastes (Red Bugs) but also with lots of smaller ones which I do not know if they were different ones or just fry from Red bug reproduction.
In any case I took the corals out and gave them a 12 hour treatment in 5 gallons of water treated with half a tablet, after the tratment the container bottom was covered with the bugs.
I put the corals back in the aquarium and next day they had full extension in all their glory.