PDA

View Full Version : ACJr, dc8, UPS and return pump

sid700
12/11/2006, 12:14 AM
Hello. I would like to connect my return pump to my dc8 and I would like to make use of the Feed function. But I also would like to my Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) to power ONLY the return pump when there is a power outage. Can I program the ACjr to do this?

clp
12/11/2006, 07:02 PM
You could do this but it is going to require some external components. Plug the AquaController and DC8 into the UPS. Wire up a 120V relay so that the coil is connected to a power cord. The power cord would plug the circuit that you are monitoring power on. The relays contacts would be wired to the digital switch input of the Jr. The Jr could then monitor the switch input and if open then power failed. The code would be something like this:

If Time > 08:00 Then LT1 ON
If Time > 20:00 Then LT1 OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then LT1 OFF ; shut off lights during a power failure

If Time > 00:00 Then PMP ON ; this pump would remain on during a power failure

OSC 010/010 M Then PH1 ON
If Switch1 OPEN THen PH1 OFF ; this pump would shut off during a power failure.

Curt

sid700
12/11/2006, 11:28 PM
Thank you Curt. But do you have a link on the 120V relay (with coil?) that you are talking about? I don't know what that is?

dougchambers
12/12/2006, 05:40 PM
Try page 875 of www.mcmaster.com and look at the relay's there.

We just built a switching control box for our battery backup and a return pump last night. We had a DC8 on a UPS and wrote code to shut-down everything but a return pump, but the lag in the shutdown sequence would overload the UPS. Now we will use a relay like 7098K15 and the socket 7098K18 to control a small submerged pump to keep water flowing from the sump in the event of a power outage.

It's pretty simple: The control box has two incoming power cords. Cord #1 is strait off the wall, Cord #2 is off the Battery side of the UPS. When the power goes out, the relay shuts off and connects the UPS battery (Cord #2) with a small extension cord and the return pump. Viola... The pump turns on. When the power comes back on, Cord #1 energizes the relay and the pump shuts off.

-Doug