PDA

View Full Version : Question about redbugs

marino420td
12/11/2006, 12:16 PM
I just discovered these on some of my frags. Do I have to treat with interceptor if I want my corals to survive? What happens if they go untreated?

twon8
12/11/2006, 01:02 PM
you don't have to treat, but the corals will be happier if you do. if untreated they may never do any damage or they may explode in population and stress frags to the point of killing them.

Letmegrow
12/11/2006, 01:42 PM
I suggest treating.

I am currently using 3 gallons of tank water with 1/6th of a 100lb+(dog) tablet. I put about 6 colonies in a bucket at one time and dip for 15-30mins depending on what I have going on. Give them a good shake and I take off any clusters with an exacto blade before putting back into the display.

Only the SPS with a huge gnarly rock have small reoccurrence of RBs. The biggest rock I have treated took 3 dips before no more bugs were found.

Next time you come up Rich I will demo my method if you would like.

Nuuze
12/11/2006, 01:48 PM
I thought you have to treat the entire tank if you want to rid these pests? Also where can you buy Interceptor?

Letmegrow
12/11/2006, 02:28 PM
Two problems I have about treating.

1. It seems that the interceptor gets absorbed by the corals and LR. making it pretty weak after about 10 mins.

2. The coral slime coats the RBs and protects them.

So I give a booster dose of interceptor after about 15 mins.

I don't have a good trick for getting the slime off while not creating more slime. Something to gently dissolve the slime would be nice.

slojmn
12/11/2006, 02:35 PM
letmegrow, I have not heard about the whole protective slime coat on the RB's and the weakening of interceptor in 15 minutes after dosing. Is there a thread about that, an article??

I treated my whole tank over the course of 6 weeks. 3 treatments every 2 weeks. I have had no problems with a reoccurence of RB's in the past year. There are some who just let them be, others, like myself, chose to treat.

twon8
12/11/2006, 02:38 PM
you need to treat for a minimum of 6 hours to kill the red bugs.

ericborneman.com has a treatment protocol

twon8
12/11/2006, 02:38 PM
http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes-content/Treatment.html

Letmegrow
12/11/2006, 04:49 PM
No, that was just my personal experience.

I just read that the medication in the pills is not distributed evenly. So half the pill could have all the medicine and the other half would be bunk. I think that is where the interceptor deficiency and the booster dosing comes to play. I would not have to again if it were 100% medication.

twon8
12/11/2006, 04:59 PM
if you grind it up it should be distributed evenly enough.

i treated on saturday, took my refugium offline, it will come back into the system next saturday. the lifespan of the bugs is only five days without an acro to host on. i am hoping for a quick return of my pod population from this method.

tradosz
12/11/2006, 09:54 PM
You can make the Interceptor pill 100% active ingredient by disolving the entire pill in RO/DI water using whatever measurement you want; eg. gallon, quart, etc.. Once the tablet is totally disolved, you now use whatever percentage necessary by using that percentage of the water containing the pill. Worked great for me. One side note, you should see an increase in polyp extension. I think it is because the medication has a beef flavoring for the dogs. Appears our corals also like the beef flavoring. GOOD LUCK !!!!!