PDA

View Full Version : easy corals with high light?

Monkey55
12/11/2006, 02:21 PM
I am fairly new to the hobby, but I just upgraded my lights in my 29gallon biocube to 144w actinic blue. I now have 5 watts per gallon. What are some corals that are easy to care for (i don't want to have to feed tham much at all) that have high light requirements that I can now get into? soft, hard, polyps, mushrooms, it's all good. Any recommends?

Thanx

dippin61
12/11/2006, 02:48 PM
honestly.. the wattage per gallon rule is an old way to judge light, especially when your talking about PC lights. and you really dont have a lot of light there, so id stay away from sps.

sir_dudeguy
12/11/2006, 03:17 PM
first, what type of light are we talking about here? 144w of pc light isnt really a whole lot and would just get you any softie/shroom/zoa (which for the most part dont require any food) but wont get you far at all with most lps corals (stuff like hammers) and definately not far with sps (acropora corals and stuff like that).

However, if it were something like Metal halides, then you could grow anything you wanted. And if it was that much in t5 light, you could also grow whatever you so pleased. But then again, if you're just talking about plain fluorescent strip lights (not pc lights) then it really wont get you very far even w/softies.

Secondly...you just say you've got 144w of actinic.....what about daylight? Actinic really isnt going to make corals grow much (if any, on its own). You need daylights to make the corals actually grow...otherwise its like a neverending night :)

But the daylight needs to be 6500K (more comonly called 65K tho). 10K is what most people use because its closer to pure white than 65K, but 65K will grow corals faster....just not to the nicer color that 10K's give.

Monkey55
12/11/2006, 03:34 PM
it is 50/50 and it is from nano-tuners.com so I assume it is a very good quality light

sir_dudeguy
12/11/2006, 03:44 PM
couldnt find any nano-tuners.com (even tried .net) and dont just assume its a good light. aqua traders sells lights that would be awsome for really really cheap, however they suck and their products stop working half the time

MarkD40
12/11/2006, 04:02 PM
Mushrooms will love tht light. I have some pulsing xenia in my quarantine tank with fairly low light and they are growing nicely.

Monkey55
12/11/2006, 06:34 PM
www.nanotuners.com

Nanocustoms 4.36 series upgrade kit

If you are looking to upgrade your 2006 Oceanic Biocube 29, this is the kit for you. Featuring 1 additional PC lighting engine that fires 2 x 36w Bulbs, and a reliable fulham ballast, this upgrade will allow you to get more light into your cube.

If you are looking for a Factory Fit and Finish, this is the kit for you.

Most users report temperature DROPS of 1-2 F with the installation of this mod. This is due to the increased airflow our heat shield provides.

Choose the Actinic Blue Bulbs for extra vibrance in your corals and the ability to do Sunrise/Sunset simulation.

Enjoy the following features:

Increased Lighting Intensity
More Spectral choices
Sunset/Sunrise - Staged Lighting (choose Actinic Bulbs)
Increased airflow
Better bulb Performance & bulb life
Kit Includes:
1 - Nanocustoms 4 x 36w Heat Shield
1 - Fulham Pony 232 - 2x36w
2 - BJB GX11 Lampholder
2 - BJB Bulb Clip
2 - 60x60x10mm Fans
1 - Remote Ballast Lead
1 - Aluminum Remote Ballast Box
1 - Power Cord
1 - DC Jack