PDA

View Full Version : QT for Jawfish & Gobies?

YourPalCM
12/11/2006, 06:48 PM
Since jawfish like to have a hole in sand to hang out in, and Sand-sifting Gobies like to sift through the sand......how do you QT them if your QT tank doesn't have sand in it?

I haven't put any fish in my show tank yet....I'm not there yet, so I could put them in first, and if there is a problem I could take them out without affecting any other fish because there aren't any other fish in the tank yet.

Suggestions appreciated!

kelrn98
12/11/2006, 06:59 PM
I was wondering the same myself. If these sorts of fish would be stressed in a bare QT tank.

However, from my understanding of the whole QT process, if you put fish in your display and they are ill, part of the problem is now you have contaminated you display and must leave it fallow for 6-8 weeks. Not to mention the difficulty catching the fish to put into QT (if your tank is large with LR).

YourPalCM
12/11/2006, 07:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8729744#post8729744 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kelrn98
I was wondering the same myself. If these sorts of fish would be stressed in a bare QT tank.

However, from my understanding of the whole QT process, if you put fish in your display and they are ill, part of the problem is now you have contaminated you display and must leave it fallow for 6-8 weeks. Not to mention the difficulty catching the fish to put into QT (if your tank is large with LR).

Someone in another forum just told me they have QT'ed both in a barebottom tank without any problems. He said that for 2 or 3 weeks of QT there is no harm.

Anyone else care to verify that or dispute?

GregEMT
12/11/2006, 07:48 PM
You can use PVC pipes or them to hide in. It lets them feel burrowed and well hidden. They don't have to have live sand to feel safe in during the time you quarantine.