PDA

View Full Version : Adding DSB to existing system~!

onehundred20
12/11/2006, 11:28 PM
Im thinking about adding a sand bed to my system, BB just isnt doing it for me anymore...How would I go about doing this..

Also what type of sand should i use, I was thinking of using about 120lbs of this http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CS0790

or should i use 1 bag of that and some cheaper stuff, using that just to feed it.

im thinking about 3-4" bed, would this be sufficent, ive never donea dsb before.

Jerry W
12/11/2006, 11:48 PM
What aren't you liking about the BB?
As far as adding sand, when I changed out my substrate from cc to sand in an old tank, I used a funnel and a long piece of flexible tubing. Keep the tubing an inch or so off the tank bottom and pour the sand into the funnel. Use the tubing to direct the sand where you want it. I used dry playsand (Southdown), and seeded it with live sand and rock rubble/silt. You can do it over a few days as to not disrupt to tank too much.

onehundred20
12/12/2006, 05:27 PM
dosent the sand need to be under the rocks as well for a dsb? or just put it around them

racer69
12/12/2006, 05:36 PM
You can put it around the LR since any digging fish will make the rocks settle and possibly colapse.