PDA

View Full Version : hello

keefsama2003
12/12/2006, 07:44 AM
I guess this is my new home from now on as i used to only frequent the anemone/clown forum but i think i have found my calling so just saying hello to all and i have a few questions.

im getting the wilkerson and hoff books for xmas but for you guys who have spawning clowns what did you do to condition them and are they in tanks alone?

are they hosting in anything or in holding tanks with tile/flower pot?

reason im asking is because i want to start conditioning my fish as they are really growing and what not and i want to make sure they are getting the best care and conditioning i can possibly offer.

Noof
12/12/2006, 08:20 AM
Ok Keefa,
I am going to offer you another thought..... others will probably disagree but I think that putting an anenome in with the fish is more trouble than it is worth. I have tried both ways and my fish spawned without one. Then one moved into the proximity of their nests and they spawned near it. More than a pain in the you know where when you have to take the eggs out and cant remove the anenome!!..

keefsama2003
12/12/2006, 08:24 AM
I was probably going to try and come up with a fry catcher or transplant them all into a different tank but still unsure. just figured it would probably be easier on them somehow knowing there is an anemone to protect the eggs with other fish around.

i guess fish psychology so to speak.

Baalz
12/12/2006, 09:03 AM
You don't need to necessarily use a fry catcher. A strategically placed tile works wonders.

All my pairs are in reef tanks and the day the hatch is due I move the tile to a hatching tank and go to bed. Saves alot of work.

keefsama2003
12/12/2006, 09:05 AM
Been thinking about that also im going to try and get a tile in there this weekend and where ever they go then they go

Baalz
12/12/2006, 09:08 AM
Just get yourself a 4x4 tile and place it rough side out for them to lay on. I usually get 12x12 tiles and cut them to like 3x4 tiles. If they flip the tile, then tack it with some epoxy. I have also inspired clowns to spawn just by putting that tile in there with them. Something about a flat rough surface gets em going.

keefsama2003
12/12/2006, 09:14 AM
good to know this is my first attemp at clowns and in my area black/white ocellaris are hard to come by that dont look like pekingese or pugs so im hoping the pair i got which were sold to me as wild caught prove to have nice perfect bar/shape offspring so i can help out my area of the world and give me a better insight on breeding clowns as this will start me on the right path for the rare clowns im hoping to get one of these years.

Baalz
12/12/2006, 09:25 AM
Just get yourself a 4x4 tile and place it rough side out for them to lay on. I usually get 12x12 tiles and cut them to like 3x4 tiles. If they flip the tile, then tack it with some epoxy. I have also inspired clowns to spawn just by putting that tile in there with them. Something about a flat rough surface gets em going.

mwp
12/12/2006, 09:32 AM
I'm all for giving them tile vs. having them lay on anything else....as you no doubt can see in my breeding log, getting larvae from the tank is way more difficult.

Matt

keefsama2003
12/12/2006, 09:34 AM
yeah i know i was going to pm you for detailed instructions on the fry catcher you came up with just in case they dont choose the tile.

everyone here has given me hope and one day i will have a pair of Latz that will do good and spawn for me as well but if i want to get there this is my first hurdle i need to overcome.

so thanks in advance everyone