PDA

View Full Version : flow for SPS

izzie
12/12/2006, 04:26 PM
Alright i was thinking of going SPS but then was told i might not have enough flow yet. Im running around 750 gph or more in a 55g tank. I was told i should have over 3000gph. I cant see my tank handling that much flow. Im having troubles even now keeping my substrate in place. Im using maxi jet pumps using the fan outlet so its a spread out flow not a jet stream. How much flow should i have to keep montis and acros as well as some high flow LPS. Thanks.
Izzie

fishes2889
12/12/2006, 04:34 PM
I would at minimum shoot for 2000gph in any tank your size but for sps i would jack it up to 2750 to 3500 for sps.....

Steve

izzie
12/12/2006, 04:36 PM
alright how do i calculate flow. Do i just add all my pumps gph together like i am. Cause i get 750. If i added much more some of my corals would be bent right in half. I dont understand how to get that much flow in there and not have stuff falling all over.
Izzie

rigleautomotive
12/12/2006, 04:37 PM
random flow is the key

HBtank
12/12/2006, 05:05 PM
From all I have gathered, most SPS want current as high as possible up to the point you actually do damage to their flesh.

And yes it can be very difficult to set up in a mixed tank. Larger tanks make it easier (more room to get the right direction of the flow without it going straight to the bottom), as well, thats why many people have SPS only and bare bottom tanks. They eliminate the factors you are describing, they can reach those crazy flow rates....

I am currently dealing with the same problem. You just have to get the pumps in there and work it out....

I have a monti cap that is doing just fine, but both my encrusting monti's are crying out for flow, I can tell...

My SPS collection is on hold until I up the flow. Currently I also have sandstroms and my LPS are swaying like mad. Does not mean the top of my tank has nearly enough flow for the harder SPS or even my Monti's... or especially acros...

AVALover5498
12/12/2006, 05:16 PM
You could install a closed loop. Go to www.melevsreef.com for a good plan. Having random flow would be your best choice, and to achieve that i would use a SCWD, "Switching Current Water Director". I'm installing one on my 29 for my return pump. :)

-Chris-

Craig Lambert
12/12/2006, 05:27 PM
I agree that 750gph is too low, but I don't think you need 3,000 gph either. 2000gph would give you 36x turnover and should be sufficient. More is better, but if you have a sandbed it eventually becomes problematic to keep going higher.

dippin61
12/12/2006, 05:52 PM
i run 3100 gph in my 55g and think im definately on the low end.

planning on adding at least another 2000gph of flow in the next few months.

just waiting for the new hydor pumps to come out! 1200 gph dispersed flow, kinda like the tunze nanos, AND with magnet holders, but for a lot cheaper!

Craig Lambert
12/12/2006, 06:20 PM
You also have a bb tank, so you need that type of flow to remove waste. A dsb in a 55G with 78 times turnover isn't going to work. There are plenty of successful sps tanks with a dsb.