PDA

View Full Version : Most attractive Background color for tank?

Mtown
12/12/2006, 06:16 PM
What color should I spray paint or use background paper to have the best, most attractive looking saltwater tank?

Also I'm wondering if spray painting is better than putting backgorund paper because I'm afraid that spray painting won't allow me to change the background afterwards.

thankss

silkione
12/12/2006, 06:19 PM
I like the look of black as a background. My tank has a blue one which takes away from the color of everything i think. Im not sure spray painting is the best way to go. If it is an empty tank then sure. But i wouldnt chance it if it has livestock in it.

GL
12/12/2006, 06:21 PM
If you are worried you won't like the color then you better get a background.

The best color, well that is in the eye of the beholder.

Most popular is dark blue or black.

cilyjr
12/12/2006, 06:22 PM
you can pant the back if you want. but in order to change it you would have to scrape it off thats for sure. i did black

popimp06
12/12/2006, 06:49 PM
they got a blue/black double sided at most lfs

Rockitmakr
12/12/2006, 08:51 PM
I second GL's thoughts........I like black though....IMHO...

:beer:

carlos_fb
12/12/2006, 09:26 PM
I like it blue, I think it looks more natural. I got 1/8" acrylic sheets matching the color of my overflow box. I have a picture of it in my gallery, check it out.

fishaholic911
12/12/2006, 09:37 PM
Once you go black you will never go back. Alot of the locals here are using a foam on the inside of the glass it looks like natural rockwork. Check it out http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=987905

Ironsheikh
12/12/2006, 09:40 PM
if your going ot paint then black --but I like something differnet so I go online and research different marble wallpapers

I had a nice tan marble/gold one for a while I think you can see in my pics and now I have a nice burgundy/gold marble --Ive never seen anyone else w/ one ...I find it matches the red algae thats plaguing my tank LOL

Ive also had a custom mirror cut for the back of a 20g tank once then I White marble stone coated the tank molding and hood it looked really classy then my family GAVE IT AWAY before I realized it was gone

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/526/85245solar.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/85245HPIM0680.JPG

Ironsheikh
12/12/2006, 09:43 PM
Here's another idea I thought about .... cut eggcrate to fit your back wall then aragacrete it into a stone wall w/ outcroppings

then you dont have to foam anything plus its beneficial -- and I def cant afford REEF CERAMIC

Im always thinking up stuff .......... yet Im still poor LOL

ACBlinky
12/12/2006, 10:26 PM
I've tried several blues, but I always go back to black. It hides equipment, makes fish and corals pop, and doesn't take away from anything in the tank (some blues are visually distracting IMO). It does indicate great depth, which frustrated me as I wanted my current tank to look like the shallows -- I nearly went with a light blue/'seafoam' colour, but chickened out when I couldn't find spraypaint the right colour and went back to good old black. It looks nice, just not the way I envisioned the tank.

Nano Chris
12/12/2006, 10:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8739343#post8739343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ironsheikh
if your going ot paint then black --but I like something differnet so I go online and research different marble wallpapers

I had a nice tan marble/gold one for a while I think you can see in my pics and now I have a nice burgundy/gold marble --Ive never seen anyone else w/ one ...I find it matches the red algae thats plaguing my tank LOL

Ive also had a custom mirror cut for the back of a 20g tank once then I White marble stone coated the tank molding and hood it looked really classy then my family GAVE IT AWAY before I realized it was gone

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/526/85245solar.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/85245HPIM0680.JPG
Now thats the creativity there! I think it would be nice to have a mirror on the back of a tank :D I myself would prefer a marine blue, or maybe black, I'm going to buy both and ill be able to decide then :lol:

drummereef
12/12/2006, 11:16 PM
I've had blue and black on my tank and by far prefer the black. It really makes the fish and coral colors pop and hides the rest of the mechanicals nicely.

Rockitmakr
12/13/2006, 05:18 AM
Keep this in mind as well, after time coraline will start to take over & it seems that cleaning the back of the tank tends to go to the back burner. As nice as it might look in the beginning, once your reef begins to grow, you will find yourself looking at the background less & less.....IMO.

:beer:

Shagsbeard
12/13/2006, 05:42 AM
I like my tank viewable from 360 degrees... so no paint for me! But I'd really think that the color of the back of your tank would depend a lot on what was surounding the tank. Give us a picture of the tank, or the location the tank will be in.

cveverly
12/13/2006, 05:56 AM
I used the paper background found at your LFS. It was blue on one side and black on the other. I like the black a lot better. I thought about the paint but don't like the idea of it getting scratched.

tedmc2
12/13/2006, 10:37 AM
I'd suggest black. I painted mine blue thinking it would look more natural, but now I think the coral and fish colors would stand out better against a black background.

yakfishin
12/13/2006, 12:26 PM
I used just the waterproof paper that the LFS had, blue on one side but reversible to black, but I find it hard to get positioned so that there aren't any wrinkles in the paper. But then I have 3 vortech pumps that I had to cut around, and a 6 ft tank that is only 5 inches away from the wall, so I had a hard time placing and taping it. Once I have decided on the color that I want to be permanent, then I'm going to order one of the better vinyl backings- I think they will go one smoother without the wrinkles. I may also do something such as ironsheikh suggested, to make the background not appear to be a background at all- but just more live rock, but that is a project that will have to wait for awhile.

savethereef
12/13/2006, 06:07 PM
i like black better. when you get a blue its harder to keep clean and a black meh you can just leave it. Besides pink coraline looks nicer on black. but it prefeence i have had 3 tank and all black my little 3g pico i did a bluebackground i really dont like it i will swp it out soon

Cloby86
12/14/2006, 08:24 AM
definately black. I went to a local window tint shop and they gave me a solid black film (not a tint, it is opaque) that worked great and it only cost me 6 bucks. I am very happy with it

Pete1399
12/14/2006, 10:53 PM
You have all convinced me to go to black.

audioaddiction
12/15/2006, 01:23 AM
BLACK is where it's at. i brush painted the outside of mine black it makes everything really stand out compared to blue. also it camoflages power filters and heaters and all the other stuff. what would be very cool would be to thinly brush the back in black, which leaves lots of clear streaks. then paint a second layer of blue or if youre really creative, greens and blues which would look amazing through it.

Fireworm
12/15/2006, 02:45 AM
I put several coats of black on mine. I used the chalkboard paint, I liled because it was a dull black and IMO hides things better.

staticx
12/15/2006, 07:54 AM
Ahhh blue reminds me of petco and imo looks terrible. I would go with black

cristhiam
12/15/2006, 08:26 AM
Mine is coraline and xenia :)

cubber
12/15/2006, 08:33 AM
I have used both black and blue and went with blue. I think the tanks seem much more brighter with a blue background, it reflects the light better than black which absorbs it. You can buy background now that goes on like window tint. It is called oceanvisions, this is what I use, that way if you don't like it you don't have to scrape paint off the back of the tank.

check out this link: http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/shopay00.aspx

rick s
12/15/2006, 10:29 AM
Of course, it is simply your preference. The best thing to do is try to look at a few in person and see if you like one over the other.

I have a blue background, rolled on. You can see it in my gallery.

Hopeful Reefer
12/15/2006, 11:44 AM
I prefer the blue look...I'm gonna roll on Krylon if I can find it...if not I'll spray the tank...

Rick S...I still need to get over to your house to see your tank...wish I could just get my wife involved like yours... :lol:

Ti
12/15/2006, 12:16 PM
BLACK

gary faulkner
12/15/2006, 01:05 PM
Coraline algae is my favorite color for background.