PDA

View Full Version : I did something dumb....

casingbill
12/12/2006, 06:31 PM
I bought 6 black trochus snails on friday. Within hours of being in the tank, 2 had fallen off the rock and were laying upside down. They were both in a spot where I couldn't reach them without moving large amounts of rock. They've been there ever since. I got tired of looking at them to see if they had moved and figured they were dead. I wanted to remove them, plus I had a turbo that I hadn't seen in 2 weeks. Ended up pulling almost all the rock out to find that these stupid snails were still alive!!:mad:

Now I can't put the rock back the way I had it and I really don't like it!!!.....Stupid snails!!

mr9iron
12/12/2006, 06:36 PM
Ahh, the life of a reef tank owner.:D

casingbill
12/12/2006, 06:50 PM
no....i'm really not happy

i'm gonna end up changing it again!!!...

i took them out figuring i would keep the diatoms pointed up.....nope...not happening.....I couldn't tell which way was up or front or back or nothin!!

serpentman
12/12/2006, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the club. I have spent many an hour rearranging my tank only to put it back again. My wife thinks I am nuts.

One rule of thumb, there will always be a snail where you would like to put a piece of coral.

casingbill
12/12/2006, 07:53 PM
I cannot even look at that tank right now. I keep looking at previous pics to see how to get it back to where I want it. I'm gonna let thing settle down for a while though first. Gotta keep my goby happy.

MR PALM BEACH
12/12/2006, 08:18 PM
Heres a tip, where are your hermits going to move into next when they outgrow there shell??? Iv seen one of my snails kick the bucket and next my hermits had lunch and a day later my biggest hermit move into its empty shell. "ONE MANS TRASH IS ANOUTHER MANS TREASURE" Remember everything in your tank is going to grow.

Rockitmakr
12/12/2006, 08:45 PM
Not good to leave snails that have died in your tank, the decomosition of the snails is not good for the quality of the water. Have you ever smelled a dead snail??? If you want the shells for the hermits, let the shells sit outside for a while then rince them out & put them back in the tank.....IMHO

:beer:

Kabong
12/12/2006, 08:53 PM
A dead snail won't last long enough to cause any damage.
Last time a snail died in my tank the shell was spotless by the next morning.

amike5
12/12/2006, 09:09 PM
Between bristle worms, hermits, and crabs; nothing that dies in my tank will last longer than a day or two.

casingbill
12/12/2006, 09:10 PM
I wish that stupid snail had died!!.....I would feel better.

Don't call PETA on me.

Tripspike
12/12/2006, 09:22 PM
I agree...lots of talk about snail death and polluting the water. I have had a few snails pass. It was not long before the nassarius snails were on them, then the hermits. The shells were cleaned in no time. I even left one of my turbos that had passed in my tank just to see what happened. Nothing, the clean up crew did their job and did it well. I suppose if you don't have decent cean up crew, then you might have a problem.

Trip

dwculp
12/12/2006, 10:22 PM
Same here, if anything dies in my tank and settles onto the sand it is breakfast, lunch, and dinner to a host of worms, mini stars and hermits and snails. If something dies, it wont last the night.

ACBlinky
12/12/2006, 10:35 PM
casingbill -- IME every time I moved my rockwork and couldn't get it back the way it was, I ended up with a nicer aquascape than before. If everything's out of place anyway, take the time to play with the rock and see what different looks you can get (don't worry about keeping the diatom side up). Have fun -- I guarantee it's not the last time you'll rearrange the tank, IME it gets easier with practice :)

casingbill
12/13/2006, 08:21 AM
Thx all....My wife still thinks I'm nuts and notices almost no difference....:)

tanker
12/13/2006, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8739063#post8739063 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by amike5
Between bristle worms, hermits, and crabs; nothing that dies in my tank will last longer than a day or two.

Yep, Me to...... Well unless my Tang dies. Then it would be a one-week feast.

acrylic_300
12/13/2006, 11:37 AM
I'm cringing thinking about it. It happens to all of us I think.

When those little frags or snails or whatever drop...just leave them...unless your planing on a new layout.

HBtank
12/13/2006, 12:32 PM
Yes wrinkled hands, a big wet mess and hours of fun!

For whatever reason it happens and you can't stop until it is just right.. IMO it usually gets a little better every time.

FUN stuff, espoecially when that one piece just won't fit anywhere ;)

HBtank
12/13/2006, 12:32 PM
I just went frag hunting last night. Found two sets of zoos, so it was worth it... Shaded some corals that needed different light as well.

If it was anything dead over 4 inches I might look for it, but I have seen things pretty good size totally eaten in 8 hours....

papagimp
12/13/2006, 12:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8739801#post8739801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ACBlinky
Have fun -- I guarantee it's not the last time you'll rearrange the tank, IME it gets easier with practice :)

Not to sound mean or anything, I mean no disrespect, but this is a bunch of HOGWASH!! it never gets easier...if anything it gets harder and harder cause you'll wind up trying something new, dont' like it, rearrange again, dont' like it, and eventually you'll run out of different ways to arrange the same rocks over and over!!!!! (I'm only saying all this cause in the next couple weeks I'll be taking all my rock out to catch a breeding pair of bangaii's that have eluded my net for far too long now) :rollface:

casingbill
12/13/2006, 12:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8743198#post8743198 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by papagimp
Not to sound mean or anything, I mean no disrespect, but this is a bunch of HOGWASH!! it never gets easier...if anything it gets harder and harder cause you'll wind up trying something new, dont' like it, rearrange again, dont' like it, and eventually you'll run out of different ways to arrange the same rocks over and over!!!!! (I'm only saying all this cause in the next couple weeks I'll be taking all my rock out to catch a breeding pair of bangaii's that have eluded my net for far too long now) :rollface:

thankyou...someone who feels my pain....although I'm starting to giggle about it a little....its just taking some time:mixed: