PDA

View Full Version : are clownfish truly "happy" without an anemone?

toonces
12/13/2006, 12:05 PM
hey all,
i saw a nice pair of clownfish (pink skunks) at the lfs yesterday. they were obviously paired, and were hosting in some type of carpet anemone- not sure on the exact type just now as i didn't have my references with me.

anyway, i was thinking about it, and although i wasn't keen on getting clownfish at first, i think these guys might be perfect for my aquarium. however, i'm hesitant to get the anemone.

i've read that anemones are tough to keep. also, due to the layout of my tank, it would have to be in the lower third of the tank, and i'm not sure if it would get enough light.

i've read that clownfish can survive and thrive just fine without a host anemone, but these two were so happy in their anemone- you know, frolicking around and nuzzling up in it- that i'm reluctant to separate them from it. yet, i don't want to get the anemone if the clowns will be just as happy without it, and if the anemone will die in my aquarium.

so, are clownfish truly fine without a host anemone?

tank specs: 60 gal cube, outer orbit lighting w/ 1x150w metal halide and 130w pc actinics, current inhabitants: button polyps, zoanthids, two gorgonians, no fish.

thanks,
toonces

SDguy
12/13/2006, 12:07 PM
Well, they breed without one, so I'd say yes.

PS - I hate using the word happy with fish, whether it's in quotes or not.

rooroo
12/13/2006, 12:08 PM
I've found they often find another host. They'll nuzzle in some big mushrooms or a torch coral. Only thing is they usually end up killing the surrogate coral. I'm sure they'll be just fine without a host anenome but you might look for some clowns who have not ever hosted in an anenome as they may be less likely to host in your other corals.

toonces
12/13/2006, 12:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8742962#post8742962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
Well, they breed without one, so I'd say yes.

PS - I hate using the word happy with fish, whether it's in quotes or not.

yeah, me too. i just couldn't think of a better way to put it...perhaps, will clownfish thrive without an anemone.

i've been doing some reading on the clownfish forum, and i'd really prefer to NOT get an anemone if the clownfish will do without it.

Aquarist Guru
12/13/2006, 12:37 PM
I'd say buy some that aren't already hosting, as you said they are already happy.

Then you'll have better luck with them acclimating to a tank without it, finding a place they like and "hosting" there. They will host on just about anything but they do prefer the simbiotic relationship of an anemone.

Here's a site that sells most likely the fish you saw, just ask them for a mated pair if they have one or buy two young ones who will become a mating pair if put together young.

http://www.tropicalfishoutlet.com/FishSubCategory.asp?FishCategoryID=8

Samala
12/13/2006, 03:03 PM
A little anthropomorphism never hurt anyone. After all, your gorgeous Anthias are wearing Santa hats! ;)

I've seen clownfish host in plastic cups, in clay pots, in fleshy macroalgae (particularly they seemed to like Halymenia).. among other things. They seem quite fine without an anemone if they are in a tank setup without a great deal of competition or major predators.

If they are secure in their pecking order in the tank, and are finding food and shelter in other ways, they should be "happy", or at least have their habitat requirements met. :)

>Sarah

mudskiper
12/13/2006, 05:29 PM
Mine have done fine without one. They hang out under my big frogspawn. They also like also like my torch coral.

toonces
12/13/2006, 06:15 PM
great, thanks everyone!

i did some reading up, and decided that if they were captive bred i was gonna get them. they were, and they were $40 for the pair, which isn't too bad, so i went ahead and got them!

i also bought a coral, which i thought was something else, but turns out is a heliofungia coral that looks like an anemone. maybe they'll host in it, maybe not. but, since they are captive bred, i figure they'll be ok without an anemone.

they're orange skunk clowns. i'll post pics in a bit.

Lizz85
12/13/2006, 06:35 PM
Congrats on the pick ups.

I keep 2 clowns without an anemone, but they also host whatever they can find. Currently it's a torch coral.

Just wanted to add that if you add any other corals to the system you will want to keep them far away from the Heliofungia. They can expand to almost double their size and have quite longer sweepers on them.

Best of luck.

$$sucker
12/13/2006, 07:24 PM
I have had my clowns and anenome for 19 months bought them the clowns a week after the anenome my clonwns have no interest in the anenome they perfer the sand in the corner of the tank

MarkT
12/13/2006, 07:31 PM
My clownfish host in a patch of Anthelia. They rarely stray more than 2-3 inches from the Anthelia. They look happy to me and lay a new batch of eggs every 2 weeks.

thornbury
12/13/2006, 10:17 PM
My ocellaris used to host in a torch coral. When I introduced a real anemone, it stung him and he went back inside the coral, hosted in it ever since, and never went near the anemone again.