PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Add Carbon to My Reef

layer3switchguy
12/13/2006, 07:01 PM
Hi folks,

I'm getting my tank ready to add SPS corals and would like to start running carbon in my tank. I'd love some advice on the best way to do this? Is there a canister filter or some other device I can add to my sump? Would running carbon 7x24 be a good idea? My tank is 5 months old, with good water parameters.

Many thanks,
L3

dweakl01
12/13/2006, 07:12 PM
Running carbon in a slow flow phosban reactor or some similar device is a great choice. I would recommend runnning a small amount and changing it out more frequently rather than running a larger amount and doing monthly swap outs. You'll notice you water will be a bit more clear after running the carbon for a week or so.

dweakl01
12/13/2006, 07:12 PM
Running carbon in a slow flow phosban reactor or some similar device is a great choice. I would recommend runnning a small amount and changing it out more frequently rather than running a larger amount and doing monthly swap outs. You'll notice you water will be a bit more clear after running the carbon for a week or so. Good luck!

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/14/2006, 04:59 AM
I use carbon (and a tiny bit of GFO) in a Magnum cannister filter that I run off my sump. I think that is a fine way to go. :)