PDA

View Full Version : Can my system use 900watts without burning the house?

plancton
12/14/2006, 12:29 AM
The question is, how much electricity can be pluged into an electric contact. I have 2 electric contacts at the terrace, I really don't know what is the capacity that an electric contact is supposed to handle without problems.

My common sense tells me that 900 watts on just one contact will be overload.

But what if I use 500 watts in one, and 400 watts in the other?. Not to mention the contacts are close together, one below the other. Will I be ok?.

I mean my current tank is plugged into one electric contact at the kitchen for a total of 500 watts.

aclos3
12/14/2006, 01:09 AM
Watts = amps x volts. In mexico, I am pretty sure they use 120v systems, just like the US.

There are a few things you need to consider: The amperage rating of the breaker that outlet is on and other loads on the same circuit. (in nearly all cases one circuit will include many electrical outlets.

I assume you are asking about how much power you can run through one outlet? If everything is done to code, on a 15 amp circuit, with no other loads, you should safely be able to run 1500watts. On a 20 amp circuit, 2000watts should work (keep in mind, this is considering that there are NO other items drawing power from the same circuit.

Also, it would be helpful to know the gauge (thickness basically) of the wire that is used on that circuit. 14 gauge should only have a 15amp circuit (at 120volts) and 12 gauge should have a max of a 20amp circuit.

maliboost
12/14/2006, 01:49 AM
it should work fine, for comparison i just looked at the blow dryer in my bathroom, 1875 watts

Hoosier Reefer
12/14/2006, 10:46 AM
A suggestion....... If your tank set-up is on the first floor, and you have a basement, it's REAL easy to run a dedicated circuit from your breaker panel / fusebox to your tank. Where I live, "Romex" is allowed by code, so all I had to do was run a 12-2 cable from the panel where I added an additional 20A breaker, up to underneath / inside my stand where I have my timer boxes, and 6 seperate outlets. 3 are switched so I can turn off during feeding, and the other 3 are 24/7. Works great IF you have access thru a basement or crawlspace. :D

plancton
12/14/2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah but a blow dryer usually is usually on for 30 mins. Well its good to know your suggestion guys, I am going to open the outlet to see the cable. So if I have a 14 gauge (15 amps), that should be enough for my tank right?.

And yes, in Mexico its also 120 volts.

MC Lighting
12/14/2006, 02:53 PM
not sure about mexico but in the us for the last say 5-10 years houses have been built with 12ga romex for outlets on 20 amp circuits with lighting being on 14ga and 15 amp circuits, most newer homes fit this profile here not sure about there, 900 watts is more than ok for even a 15 amp circuit.

plancton
12/14/2006, 06:16 PM
I have a bit of a problem, well I am not quite sure, this is what happened:

I went to check the mother board which contains about 25 switches that control the electricity of many sections of my house. I found out that switch Number 6 controls the outlet where I want to plug my new tank, but it also controls the electricity of the maid's room. The maid has a hair dryer and other stuff with over 1500 watts, of course, she doesn't use them at the same time. But I don't know if the tank would run out of light let's say when she uses the hair dryer.

So this is what the mother board says about that switch which provides electricity to both sections:

15 amp 10,000 AIC 120/240 Vac

What is this suppose to mean?, am I alright, or will run out of electricity for the tank when the maid uses the hair dryer?

cloudancer
12/14/2006, 06:39 PM
The switch is rated for 15 amps and can be used on either a 120 or 240 circuit. Not sure what the 10000 AIC stands for....

FWIW, you shouldn't run a circuit at more than 80% for extended periods. They are rated for full voltage only for short durations.

That circuit may well blow the breaker if the Maid uses say a hair dryer in when you are running lights... (900w = about 8Amps, 1500w hair dryer is 13.5 or so). Are you in a position where you could have a dedicated circuit run? Depending on what kind/size tank it is that could be an option (or even highly recommended).

plancton
12/14/2006, 06:44 PM
I can't use a dedicated circuit, But I have this other option:

2 outlets at the terrace, also rated for 15 amps, and this section is absolutely exclusive, nothing else is connected to this section.
How does that sound to handle 900 watts?

cloudancer
12/14/2006, 06:46 PM
I think that would be fine, just use a quality extension cord. If the cord gets warm you need to upgrade to a heavier gauge.

I'm actually running a cord from a circuit upstairs to my tank downstairs because of remodeling project... its a bit ugly but it works :D...

BeanAnimal
12/14/2006, 08:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8751960#post8751960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MC Lighting
not sure about mexico but in the us for the last say 5-10 years houses have been built with 12ga romex for outlets on 20 amp circuits with lighting being on 14ga and 15 amp circuits, most newer homes fit this profile here not sure about there, 900 watts is more than ok for even a 15 amp circuit.

Not to get picky here... but I keep seeing people say this and it is BY FAR not true.

Most branch circuits are 15A unless required by code or upgraded by the builder. With the cost of copper skyrocketing, most builders do the bare minimum to meet code. That means the only place you will often find #12 is the 20A dedicated kitchen and laundry outlets required by code. The rest will be #14 unless local codes dictate or the perspective home owner asks for an upgrade. Of course some builders go the extra mile (and charge the extra price) by default and add 20A branch circuits for convenience.

I don't have a single run of #14 in my house, but then again I wired it myself.

Anyway 12A is the "max" continuous load a 15A branch circuit (80% load as outlined by the NEC). More than that will leave no headroom and push the breaker temperature close to the trip point. 12A at 120V is 1440 Watts.

You need to find out what size breaker of fuse feeds that outlet, and what other outlets and fixtures/appliences are served by it.

A desk lamp or clock radio will help you figure it out. Plug the radio in to each outlet and turn on all the lights. Trip the breaker or unscrew the fuse. Make not of what lights go out and if the radio stop playing. You should be able to determine what is being fed by that fuse/breaker. Add up all the wattage ratings for everything that it feeds, then let us know.

MC Lighting
12/15/2006, 09:50 PM
Hmmm, maybe it is just a California thing then because evry new house I have done wiring in the branch outlet circuits are all 20A with the exception of the lighting circuits maybe its just us that does this?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8754341#post8754341 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Not to get picky here... but I keep seeing people say this and it is BY FAR not true.

Most branch circuits are 15A unless required by code or upgraded by the builder. With the cost of copper skyrocketing, most builders do the bare minimum to meet code. That means the only place you will often find #12 is the 20A dedicated kitchen and laundry outlets required by code. The rest will be #14 unless local codes dictate or the perspective home owner asks for an upgrade. Of course some builders go the extra mile (and charge the extra price) by default and add 20A branch circuits for convenience.

I don't have a single run of #14 in my house, but then again I wired it myself.

Anyway 12A is the "max" continuous load a 15A branch circuit (80% load as outlined by the NEC). More than that will leave no headroom and push the breaker temperature close to the trip point. 12A at 120V is 1440 Watts.

You need to find out what size breaker of fuse feeds that outlet, and what other outlets and fixtures/appliences are served by it.

A desk lamp or clock radio will help you figure it out. Plug the radio in to each outlet and turn on all the lights. Trip the breaker or unscrew the fuse. Make not of what lights go out and if the radio stop playing. You should be able to determine what is being fed by that fuse/breaker. Add up all the wattage ratings for everything that it feeds, then let us know.

BeanAnimal
12/15/2006, 10:56 PM
It very well may be part of local code in Cali :)

Trust me when builder can shave a penny, he will. The NEC only requires the 20A branches in 2-3 places. Most homeowners are ignorant to the differences between 15A and 20A and don't know to ask, and don't know that it would be a good idea to specify such an upgrade.

Many many things are like this when a house is built. Shortcuts mean profits... uninformed or unknowledgeable buyers are a builders dream.

Bean