PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Marin = Low ORP?

FishyBiz
12/14/2006, 10:28 AM
Hey gang
I recently switched salts from Seachem’s Reef Salt to Tropic Marin (not Pro). I noticed that every time I do a water change my ORP drops to in the 220 range +/-. I have a Red Sea Ozone unit and I try to keep my ORP at 375.
Whats the deal here? I thought this stuff was supposed to be best salt you could buy? They sure price it like its the best (not to mention I think I got burned at $70 something dollars:mad2: )

Anyone else see this problem with Tropic Marin?

Disclaimer: This is not a thread to post what salt you use and how good it is, or what the best salt really is. This is simply to see if anyone else is having the same problem as me. :rollface:

RichConley
12/14/2006, 10:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8750050#post8750050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishyBiz

Whats the deal here? I thought this stuff was supposed to be best salt you could buy? They sure price it like its the best (not to mention I think I got burned at $70 something dollars:mad2: )

Thats called great marketing.

The low orp thing is a known issue with tropic Marin.

FishyBiz
12/14/2006, 10:33 AM
WOW ya. I just checked my bill online......... you ready?........$83.12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reefkoi
12/14/2006, 03:19 PM
I get mine from fosters and smith its less than $70 with shipping, best deal I can find. Low ORP? so what I'm sure it rises within 24 hours? Why get so excited about ORP? Really I dont know so let me know what the problem is, I dont measure ORP so i am not wise as to why it would be a problem when changing water?
Chris

RichConley
12/14/2006, 03:23 PM
Because if you're running ozone, a false low can cause your tank to get really screwed up.

It also means that theyre adding something that is lowering the oxidation reduction potential, which generally means organics. It might go hand and hand with all the phosphate in there.

Greg 45
12/14/2006, 04:27 PM
How can you say that it's a false (low) I am running TMP and the ORP is at 300 without ozone. Tank is crystal clear , verry little GAC. Have you cleaned your probe. they seen to need to be cleaned every weak.

RichConley
12/14/2006, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8752704#post8752704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Greg 45
How can you say that it's a false (low) I am running TMP and the ORP is at 300 without ozone. Tank is crystal clear , verry little GAC. Have you cleaned your probe. they seen to need to be cleaned every weak.

Greg, this is a known issue. Call up Tropic Marin and ask them about lowered ORP, and they'll tell you that their salt does it, but its not a problem.

The problem comes when you're using ozone, and a water change drops your ORP reading by 150 points, and then your ozone unit runs for 3 days straight when its not needed.

jimmyj7090
12/14/2006, 04:39 PM
I use the TM regular. I do see a ORP drop whenever I do a water change, but it does rise right back to normal in a day or so. Not runnning O3.

Has anyone checked any other freshly mixed salts?

RichConley
12/14/2006, 04:44 PM
Jimmy, they all drop, but TM drops quite a bit more than the rest, and TMPro has an absolutely HUGE drop.

Greg 45
12/14/2006, 05:16 PM
Rich the salt was low when first mixed . All brand are low let's say for about a week . So just turn off ozone till you get your highest reading. I have a commercial skimmer on me tank maybe that's why I have a higher reading. What is you ORP set point at . What is the controler set at.

reefkoi
12/14/2006, 05:24 PM
I hate watching meters constantly. I'd rather watch corals. I see people bash TM all the time, but then when I see a NICE healthy colorful reef tank, most of the time I see TM as the salt used. Its funny.
Chris

Greg 45
12/21/2006, 07:16 PM
?? Does anyone notice the difference in there protien skimmer. Has the amount of skum or output reduced.

O'Man
12/21/2006, 07:51 PM
Back when I used ozone I used to get low ORP after any water change regardless of which salt I used. That was about 8 to 10 years ago though. I would not worry about it, the orp would climb up in a day or so.