PDA

View Full Version : Clam Emergency

ezcompany
12/14/2006, 03:06 PM
My clam arrived today, and the water in the bag has totally leaked out. It was sopping wet, and the clam was exposed to air.
I skipped all acclimation procedures and placed him in my tank.
Is there anythingelse I could've done for future reference? :(:(:(

Giovanni
12/14/2006, 03:09 PM
Not sure what else you could have done. Sorry to hear about your luck. Where did you get it from and how was it shipped?

Giovanni

mbbuna
12/14/2006, 03:27 PM
i think you did the best thing. was there even a little bit of water in the bag?

ezcompany
12/14/2006, 03:34 PM
0 water, but the clam was still wet.
clam is in the tank and spewing out what seems to be micro bubbles in a steady stream! what could this be?

Unarce
12/14/2006, 03:35 PM
I always have a camera ready when opening up packages, just in case stuff like this happens. I also would have placed it in a bucket of tank water instead of into the tank, so you can at least inspect for any visible parasites or unwanted hitchhikers.

Sorry to hear this happened. Hopefully, everything will turn out okay:)

Unarce
12/14/2006, 03:37 PM
Is it spewing out of the inhalant or exhalant siphon? If exhalant, it could be doing a survival spawn of eggs (how big is it?). It doesn't always mean that it's going to die. It just does it whenever there are any life threatening incidents.

Hopefully, it will recover afterwards.

mbbuna
12/14/2006, 03:43 PM
yes it sounds like its spawning.

get some water change water ready and some fresh carbon. when it stops spawning do a water change and add the fresh carbon. also make sure your skimmer is working as best as it can.

the fact that it was still wet is a good thing. clams can be exposed to air for a lot longer then you would think

Unarce
12/14/2006, 03:46 PM
It's also possible that it will trigger spawning in your other clams, so be prepared to do possible WCs within the next few days, also.

ezcompany
12/14/2006, 03:57 PM
the stuff is coming out of the exhalant siphon. i thought spawn looks like white milkish substance? these look exactly like micro bubbles!
i can't go back home due to work, but will be home in 5 hours. will the water foul significantly?
boy this is one time i'm glad i have a deltec...

Giovanni
12/14/2006, 03:59 PM
If it is spawning, at lease it is still alive! Always look for the positive.

mbbuna
12/14/2006, 04:04 PM
the gametes will die in a few hours. when you get home do a WC(25% or more if you can) asap

TracyZeuner
12/14/2006, 06:39 PM
I thought that I read that clams can be out the water for short periods. Sometimes when they are in shallow pools and the tide goes out, they are exposed to the air.
Where did you buy it from?

ezcompany
12/14/2006, 06:47 PM
they can be exposed for a bit. thats how ORA make their clams spawn, by leaving them out of the water for 1 hour, then placing them back in to induce spawning.

ezcompany
12/15/2006, 12:50 AM
clam looks like it will make it, whew!
now i have another question, you know how tubeworms live on some clams, and they secrete this long white ugly silky looking thread? can i remove the clam, use a clipper and cut those out? these are on maximas so there are grooves, exactly how thick are the shells and how much can i cut without risking anything?

Unarce
12/15/2006, 01:01 AM
You mean vermetid snails?

I had a pretty big one that was right at the top edge of the shell of one of my maximas. The web would annoyingly stretch over the mantle:mad:

I plugged the opening with epoxy:dance:

ezcompany
12/15/2006, 01:23 AM
yea, my tank looks extremely messy cuz of this white string 5 inches long flying everywhere...
if you plug it with epoxy, can't they just bore another hole?

Unarce
12/15/2006, 01:37 AM
I'm not sure if they can burrow through the shell. I think they can only build on it. I could be wrong. I haven't seen it since, so if it somehow burrowed out, it's not near the clams anymore:)

BTW, glad the clam's okay;)

ezcompany
12/15/2006, 05:12 PM
;) thanks Karl

jmaneyapanda
12/17/2006, 10:41 AM
I assume they're vermatids, as well. If so, Karl is right, they do not burrow, but build a calcarious shell that looks alike a tube. They are no harm to anything, but if you must, just break them of. They will likely come back though.

ezcompany
12/18/2006, 02:24 AM
i took my cutter and removed them from their holes with a toothpick. i hope they don't come back.

jmaneyapanda
12/18/2006, 07:34 AM
I guess what im saying is that they are probably somewhere else in your tank, too. And if they are, they'll show up again. Now orrries, though.

ezcompany
12/18/2006, 05:34 PM
you cannot imagine how much it STANK those damn snails...not to mention kind of bloody too!