PDA

View Full Version : Show me your Blue Matrix

dots
12/14/2006, 08:40 PM
Whos got 'em.....just got a piece and want to see larger ones.

cward
12/14/2006, 09:55 PM
Okay, I give. What is a blue matrix?

dots
12/14/2006, 10:14 PM
Why Keanu Reeves new movie of course.......:eek1:

Its one of ROABs........first on page........I inverted the name. Sorry.

First one down, got a couple of his pieces and love all of 'em.
http://www.exoticreefs.us/farmer_roab.htm

mpoletti
12/14/2006, 11:07 PM
Did you get it out in Roseville?

dots
12/15/2006, 01:54 AM
Yes I did........Yourreef. John didn't let it go very easy.....but I am glad he did.

So nobody has this sucker? Man I wanted to see some pics of stuff bigger than a cigar butt, I want to see the color variations and morphology.

Znut Reefer
12/15/2006, 02:09 AM
I have one but it is only about 2 1/2 inches. I've had mine for at least a yr. Talk about a SLOW grower! I got mine in a trade, so the frag was pretty small.

Nanook
12/15/2006, 02:16 AM
Looks kind of like a blue tort to me...not sure though.

Racenrich
12/15/2006, 11:19 AM
how do you guys justify spending $65-$85 for a frag?
I just dont get it......

i have alot of the so called "rare" corals that everyone seems to want...i would never ask more than $10-$25 for a frag......

Nice shot of my Tri-color millie! :) I know its not a Matrix...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/xcmtbkr/DSC06383.jpg

Rich K.

Unarce
12/15/2006, 11:31 AM
Same way you justify buying a Harley you have to tinker with over a reliable Honda:lol:

Ti
12/15/2006, 11:43 AM
Mr. Anderson.......

mpoletti
12/15/2006, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8756073#post8756073 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sacramentodots
[B]Yes I did........Yourreef. John didn't let it go very easy.....but I am glad he did.

John is a great guy. I picked up a frag of his Tort and a blue/green ORA tort last Tues. I was looking at his Matrix, they are nice.

SDguy
12/15/2006, 12:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8758187#post8758187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Racenrich

i have alot of the so called "rare" corals that everyone seems to want...i would never ask more than $10-$25 for a frag......

Congrats! It's people like you that make these corals more accessible. I think it's great. There are a couple local reefers that are the same way. For $80 you'll get a multi branch minicolony of LE SPS, or for $10 small frags but many available.

Racenrich
12/15/2006, 12:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8758284#post8758284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Unarce
Same way you justify buying a Harley you have to tinker with over a reliable Honda:lol:

:lol:

I started with a honda!

I also started with a 20g tank!

:lol:

reefer on a budget
12/15/2006, 02:16 PM
http://www.reeffarmers.com/limited_bluematrix_colony.jpg

dots
12/15/2006, 02:42 PM
Sweet....Love that color!!!! Thank you Alex, like I said before have a few of your pieces.....orange w/green based digi, Pink and Blue A. Prostrata, and this one.......

obviously being so close to the Bay, its easier to find these pieces around here. I was curious how far out of our area its migrated.....

Mine I am told comes from SandDollars mother colony.

As far as the whole rare thing......I like colorful stuff, it just so happens I have an expensive eye. In addition if you have some of these pieces, they are easier to get rid of when you want to upgrade to something else......than say.......a green digi, which I have one of also......

so since I havn't seen any "show me your green digi" threads....here is my "Honda" you can see my "Yugo" green milli parked behind it, and my "Dodge" parked on the front lawn.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/dougspivey/DayGlowFT.jpg

Next to "my" 'Ferrari".......I am partial to superman digi (The pic is a little hot, so the blue doesn't show well and a little light due to my fish load, but is a far cry than before...eh Karl?) This one is my tinkerer frag....hard to get to color up perfect, sort of my xenia of SPS...canary in the coal mine............
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/dougspivey/SM.jpg

dots
12/15/2006, 03:00 PM
Nice milli by the way.....great color.

reefer on a budget
12/15/2006, 03:37 PM
i still have doubts in the silver dollar colony being the same as his did not quite have the same coloration as the one i had and his grew exceptionally fast. if you ask everyone who has had a matrix, the thing grows freakin slow....who knows for sure though.

dots
12/15/2006, 04:21 PM
......EVERYTHING grows slow in my tank for some reason.......lets just say I don't frag very much.:rolleye1:

That makes me think......I am always wondering if people want "that" coral that can be traced back to....say yours, Tubs or Tyree.....because it would be true ignorance for us to think that those were "the only coral in the world".......for instance I have a blue tipped acro that looks VERY close to a Steve Elias, though probably not from the original.......and have a very young true "Steve Elias" to compare with in the future......

Like some of these Superman danaes floating around.....fake, true and what not.......just like this one, in the grander scheme of things, pardon my biblical refererence for simplicity, "God probably made more than one to begin with".

I myself am quite facinated by the SPS coral market, what and who determines rarity, market prices, and availability.

Most of us are hobbiest, but there are quite a few people who make a living off this industry. Perhaps this is what interests me the most right now.....is it the chicken or the egg when it comes to "LEs or Rare"......the consumer or the supplier that dictates this? Very cool to see how this evolves as the technology such as the Zeolith and other additives bring out harder colors to obtain......perhaps even unnatural....or are we already there because correct me if Im wrong....but aren't some 90% of corals already brown in the ocean.....isn't that their "natural" coloration?

but perhaps the most interesting to me is this (SPS) has only been "really" going on for what 10-15years?......hard to determine if all frags will saturate the market and drive down prices, or if legal and importation ones will drive them up.

Whats everyones take on the lineage versus looks of the coral?

If the coral looks like the original named.......is it? How important is the "name and the lineage" of the coral to you? SPS speaking.

BTW here is mine:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/dougspivey/coral.jpg

makoJ
12/15/2006, 05:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8759432#post8759432 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefer on a budget
http://www.reeffarmers.com/limited_bluematrix_colony.jpg

looks like an A.VERMICULATA or atleast it does to me here is my VERMICULATA
http://greenmako.smugmug.com/photos/106821128-M.jpg

rleechb
12/15/2006, 05:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8760343#post8760343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sacramentodots

If the coral looks like the original named.......is it? How important is the "name and the lineage" of the coral to you? SPS speaking.

Personally, the "name and lineage" don't matter to me at all. I'd rather have a nice colony of green slimer (which is actually one of my favorite corals) than a frag of purple monster. However, I can see how the lineage is important to your "sps elitist." It's like a car: your acura might handle the same, have the same hp, a/c, etc. as a BMW, but it doesn't quite give you the bragging rights that an M5 would give you.

... now that I think of it... maybe name and lineage do matter to me... ;)

The matrix doesn't look like a vermiculata to me at all... more like an A. Papillare.

reefer on a budget
12/15/2006, 06:06 PM
my point about sand dollars was that his coral didnt look much like the matrix that i had color wise. ive seen the coloration in person and it definitely didnt look exactly same but thats not to say structure wise it isnt the same coral. the fact his has different color and grows fast makes me believe its some other variant. i know corals morph in different tanks but i have yet to seen a sand dollar piece that looked as colorful as the matrix.

when i collected i didnt care as much about the lineage of the coral as much as the type and how rare a coral it was. the lineage aspect made it interesting to trace down to where the coral came from originally. with bali corals coming in its pretty difficult to find a unique coral that doesnt come in much since these things are aquacultured heavily. im sure there are many other matrix out there..what ever it is.

dots
12/15/2006, 06:17 PM
I was a little confused since you had said....Silver Dollar.....

Thanks for the input....

reefer on a budget
12/15/2006, 06:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8760984#post8760984 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sacramentodots
I was a little confused since you had said....Silver Dollar.....

Thanks for the input....

LOL..i know i noticed that too but it was too late to edit...hate the 15min rule.