PDA

View Full Version : Skimmate

extrememc
12/14/2006, 11:29 PM
The protein skimmer that I have on my wet/dry filter is not producing any skimmate. Why is it not producing any? I ask this because I got a milky light film on the surface of my water. I assume that this is protein or calcuim buildup.

I have a 55 gal with estimated 10 lb LR, 10 base, 6 DSB, Triger, Damsel, Yellowtailed, Sand Sifter Starfish, and emarald crab. I have been adding purple up a cap full a day. Cap full of Stress Zyme to help break down waste.

supertech3
12/14/2006, 11:41 PM
what type(brand) skimmer? when was the last time you cleaned the skimmer?

bertoni
12/15/2006, 12:37 AM
The Stress Zyme might be flattening the skimmer. Some additives like that can cause problems. I'd skip the additive, but that's a personal choice. The Purple Up can cause problems as well. The chemistry forum has details on that, if you're interested.

old salty
12/15/2006, 05:26 AM
Additives tend to change the surface tension of the water (as bertoni has stated above.) This effects even the high dollar skimmer's abilities to skim. I'd quit adding any additives, clean the skimmer, and see where that gets you. Your tank will eventually become a haven for coralline algae without the addition of purple up.

Aqua Keepers
12/15/2006, 08:14 AM
If skimmer is new, it needs time to break in.

extrememc
12/15/2006, 04:30 PM
What can I do to help it become a heaven for coraline algae. I do that I have been using the Purple up for about 2 weeks and I can see neon green and purple algae growing where it has not.

Roland Jacques
12/15/2006, 05:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8755693#post8755693 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by supertech3
what type(brand) skimmer?
bump

IBASSFSH
12/15/2006, 09:28 PM
Purple up is basically kalkawasser, and should help your skimmer remove the organics. Does your tank have a overflow box or what? It sounds like you need a surface skimmer to get the surface of the tanks water to the skimmer. I agree on not adding the stresszyme also.

old salty
12/15/2006, 09:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8760395#post8760395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by extrememc
What can I do to help it become a heaven for coraline algae. I do that I have been using the Purple up for about 2 weeks and I can see neon green and purple algae growing where it has not.

Pretty simple really. Maintain the highest water quality that you possibly can. Keep your basic parameters in balance; resist the urge to dump miracle in a bottle into your tank, and just let the tank age. A year from now, you can say to yourself, "Dam gum blammin' coralline algae, growin' all over my blarmin' glass..."

bertoni
12/15/2006, 11:51 PM
Actually, Purple Up is calcium carbonate powder. Kalk is calcium hydroxide or calcium oxide.

IBASSFSH
12/16/2006, 01:21 AM
Ok I stand corrected thanks. All I know is that I used that stuff to, and it worked very well. :D