PDA

View Full Version : Hanna Colormeter question

badbones
12/15/2006, 01:57 AM
I just bought one and the unit read .02 Is this the value that I need to go by, or do I need to convert this into another value for the true reading.. I did not see this in the manual, so I know someone here must know.

Also I am looking into the Medusa colormeter that reads the nitrite, ph nitrate, and ammonia. Anyone know of these and how are the results. I just have a difficult time on color changes. Somewhat colorblind

Thanks
Tony

Znut Reefer
12/15/2006, 02:03 AM
You go by the 0.02 on the Hanna. Just got one last week also. Mine was 0.03 but PO4 was 0.04 before adding a PO4 remover to the system a week before.

I don't know anything about the Medusa colorimeter.

badbones
12/15/2006, 02:06 AM
Now the next question.

Do you think .02 is fine?? Or should I strive for the big 0 by adding a remover. I am getting bryopsis in one of my frag tanks and its just getting worse. Not sure of the nutrient source. the tank also has a ton of flow.

Znut Reefer
12/15/2006, 02:19 AM
I would add a small amount . In otherwords half the recommended amount. And check your PO4 again. I plan to get mine down a little lower also. If you have some algae growing it could be the P04 or a high Nitrate level.

So I would still try to lower the PO4 and see if it has any effect on the algae.
I would also try to pull as much of it out as you can by hand first. Don't let any get away it will spread anywhere it lands on the rock.

badbones
12/15/2006, 02:25 AM
I will try the phosar this weekend to see how it works. Was actually thinking 1/3 dosage just to be safe and keep it slowly removing.

Here is the link to the medusa colormeter
http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandsubcategory.asp?brandid=MD&subcatID=di-cdm

Znut Reefer
12/15/2006, 02:47 AM
I checked the link. I would just buy the Salifert test kits. Alot cheaper and they are accurate. You should not need any of the other tests. Most people only test:

Alk (DKH) Salifert
Calcium Salifert
Mag Salifert
Phos PO4 Hanna colorimeter
Ph (get a PH monitor for like $80 bucks) PinPoint Marine

You can test for Nitrate, but the others are not needed for a well established reef tank. I can't tell you the last time I tested for Nitrate. Just do reg water changes and montior the levels I mentioned and you are are set.

poknsnok
12/15/2006, 07:24 AM
i get .00 and .001 consistently on my hannah. I always test twice when I do my weekly tests... Never got any reading on my salifert po4 kit.. at first I got .04 when I got the meter but good husbandry and rinsing food i got it down..

slojmn
12/15/2006, 10:40 AM
I feel the hannah colormeter is much more accurate than the Salifert test. I always read 0 on Salifert then got the hannah colormeter and started with readings of .15 :eek2:. I am now running .03 this week. Some weeks it gets up to .06-.08, which leads me to feed a little less and it backs right down.