PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing my reef residents

waif
12/15/2006, 02:05 AM
Hello peoples i've read a lot on here (mostly as a guest) I've registered now(finally). I would like to say thanks to everyone who has learned things for me :)

I was just wondering, i recently noticed a few things going missing and suspected my damsel (velvet - i noticed him/her nipping at things - snails etc..) but i recently (tonight) saw a big crab, brown with beady little eyes quite roundish as well lurking in the rock, now i've read enough to know (i think anyway) to ban him to my sump at the very least, so i started ripping out my rock...well repositioning it anyways. Now i was going to re-do my aquascaping anyways, but i was suddenly hit by the fact my rock, due to my laziness has been where it's been for almost 5 months, now is rearranging it to search for this crab, as well as aquascaping ging to harm my inhabitants in anyway? ie disturbing the sandbed (i know i know BB, but too late, plus my starfish seem to like the sand) I don't wanna kick up ammonia or some such thing, so i kinda stopped midway through to differ to the expertise on this forum.
Now all i need are some opinions a new return pump and some 14k bulbs and a little submersible chimney (so santa doesn't pass over the fishies) and i'm back to normal :)

Thanks...sorry for the Long-Windedness.

Blown 346
12/15/2006, 03:10 AM
As long as your not digging in the sand you should be fine. If alot of detritus starts to arise I would do a water change.

old salty
12/15/2006, 04:51 AM
I think I rearranged my rock over a dozen times in the first six months of the process. Didn't seem to hurt anything; if anything it tends to end disputes between fishes that establish territories. Many people practice this when adding a new fish if the old fish display aggression towards the newcomer.

gary faulkner
12/15/2006, 02:07 PM
waif
[welcome]

gary faulkner
12/15/2006, 02:10 PM
MAN!!!!!

Don't you just love that

[welcome]

thingy?

Hugeness
12/15/2006, 02:13 PM
Yah definately have some water on hand for a change... in fact make this your weekly or biweekly water change day anyways. Move the rocks get the crab before he gets YOU... and then clean up the crap that has settled under the rocks. Its a win/win situation.

waif
12/15/2006, 05:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8759409#post8759409 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hugeness
Yah definately have some water on hand for a change... in fact make this your weekly or biweekly water change day anyways. Move the rocks get the crab before he gets YOU... and then clean up the crap that has settled under the rocks. Its a win/win situation.

He already got me :( I figured small little crab big mean biker looking guy i should just be able to reach in and scoop him up, he pinched my finger it hurt a lot and i dropped him. Now i cannot find him. I figured i would make change water up just in case. I tested the ammonia and it was reading 0, but i didn;t move much rock yet. But i know have the water on hand if needed. Since i just did a water change a couple of days ago, how long can you keep fresh mixed salt for? Until my next change?

Oh and thank you for the welcome :)