PDA

View Full Version : which types of canister filters do you all prefer?

orb
12/15/2006, 05:31 AM
i'm setting up a SH tank, and i think i'll want to run a canister filter to either put carbon or filter floss in. i think i'm going to run it off a manifold, so a supply pump won't be needed, and i'll also have a sump where it will be mounted. it's return will dump back into the sump.

does anyone currently run a system like this?

do all the canister filters already come with a pump, or can i buy one without? i've never used one before.

thanks for any help, lawrence

Poniegirl
12/15/2006, 07:06 AM
I have used a Magnum 350 on my 55 gallon for almost 3 years and I really like it. Very self-contained and no fussing necessary!
The pump is built into the base.

This fall I decided to quit using the sleeve media in it. I got really tired of rinsing so many pods down the drain! I have chaeto in it now. It seems to still be doing great, however now I can rinse (shake) the chaeto in a bucket and salvage a number of pod. To me, every one counts.

orb
12/15/2006, 07:28 AM
do you know if there's any magnums or fulvals that don't need the pump? i know what you mean about the pods. every month i throw away half a 5 gal bucket's worth in the garbage. i try rinsing the chaeto but never find that many pods in the water-i'm sure thousands are being tossed :( just seems wrong-considering what people pay to get pods in a bag. is there a light or clear top on your canister to let the chaeto grow in the magnum 350? thanks for the reply, lawrence

Poniegirl
12/15/2006, 02:34 PM
The canister itself is removable from the base where the motor is housed, so it might work for your purpose.
The entire canister is clear, so it gets ambient light. I worried that it would not be enough light, but I will soon need to take some of it out, so I know it's growing.

pledosophy
12/15/2006, 11:05 PM
Neither magnumns or fluvals need a pump, they are internal. I have always like my fluval but hear great things about Magnums. JME.

Fredfish
12/17/2006, 12:00 AM
Neither magnumns or fluvals need a pump
???
If there is no pump, how do you move water through it? Canister filters have an integrated pump.

I personally don't like mechanical filtration because it becomes a nitrate factory for lazy people like me who don't end up changing or rinsing the media multiple times per week.

A canister would work well for carbon though. I use an aquaclear hang on for my carbon because I still have several from my frsh water days.

Fred

orb
12/17/2006, 03:02 PM
i don't need a pump because i'll be running it off a manifold. current tank- i use a manifold and run a phosband reactor with rowaphos in it. the other 2 ports are for my ph meter and calcium mon. probe. all fed from the return pump.

i guess i could get a newer phosban reactor, i believe they are easier to get the tops off now. the canister filters looked neat because of the trays for the different media.

pledosophy
12/17/2006, 09:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8768665#post8768665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fredfish
???
If there is no pump, how do you move water through it? Canister filters have an integrated pump.

YOu say tomato, I say Toe mato, you say intergrated I say internal.

Seem thing buddy. ;)

I run my fluval now off a T valve from my return pump. Same filter, it's just not plugged in.

Fredfish
12/17/2006, 10:45 PM
Same thing buddy
Yup, Musta had toe mato in my eyes last night. :rolleyes:

Gocha now orb. Seems I am being a little slow on this thread.

Fred

RichardS
12/25/2006, 01:50 AM
The filstars have worked well for me. Very easy maintenance and lots of room for media.