PDA

View Full Version : why do my Berghia hide?

kevino
12/15/2006, 06:34 PM
I have uploaded some Berghia vs. Aiptasia photos (with brief descriptions) in my blog at

http://myreeftankphotos.blogspot.com/

here are my concerns:

(1) i see the Berghia. they look healthy, but they are always hiding. will they be fat and healthy if they are not eating?

(2) they don't seem to be eating. perhaps this is because of the magnitude of the # of aiptasia. Do you think they are (eating), since they are mating and laying eggs?

can anyone with some more experience comment?

is my worrying for nothing?

bigreef74
12/15/2006, 07:06 PM
the Berghia eat at night from what i have heard.

lpkirby
12/15/2006, 08:07 PM
it depends on the indiv.. mine are trained to come out anytime.. Maybe it is shy?

Kigs
12/15/2006, 08:20 PM
maybe you have mistaken them for some other species of nudis that looks similiar to berghia

RamPuppy
12/15/2006, 08:41 PM
just wait until the larvae go to town on the aiptasia... mmm...

no worries man, thats just what they are do, with the infestation in your tank, your not going to notice a hit on aiptasia until the population of bhergia explodes.

kevino
12/16/2006, 01:34 AM
I'd hope not - they came from Salty Underground.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8761691#post8761691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kigs
maybe you have mistaken them for some other species of nudis that looks similiar to berghia

Hal
12/16/2006, 12:40 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat. My LR is covered in aiptasia, to the tune of at least 200. I bought some berghia about a month ago, and have yet to notice any aiptasia gone. Nor is there any sign of any of the 8 berghia that I added, in day or night.

kevino
12/17/2006, 06:49 AM
Hal, Do you ever see any egg spirals?
Besides the obvious things like acclaimation, did you move any potential preditors? like brittle stars, hermit crabs, and peppermint shrimp?
I heard it was a good idea to move them out before adding berghia, just in case.

I see the berghia and eggs (as my web blog http://myreeftankphotos.blogspot.com/ shows), but I don't see any aiptasia damage.

but maybe the population of the berghia will explode here soon as the egg sacks start to make larvae.