PDA

View Full Version : Keep PC fixture ($ for corals) vs get MH

Xandernfs
12/15/2006, 10:44 PM
So I'm still debating if i go with a MH setup. I am wondering if i should go with a MH setup OR keep my PC fixture and get more corals with the money not used for the MH. Since I am in college, i don't know if i will have another time to get a MH fixture for my 20g. I am just wondering is it really worth getting the MH or PCs? I'm not too into SPS, but i do love the clams. Please help me out!

Jasonf08
12/16/2006, 07:15 AM
People have been known to keep sps with PC's, despite the criticism. But clams will probably not make it without the Par from the MH. The big thing is PAR & pc's have good par for like a week then they are garbage. If you plan on keeping the tank for a long time then get a MH fixture you can use on your furture tank. Just my 0.02

Xandernfs
12/16/2006, 03:42 PM
Bump for nite crew

Nick A
12/16/2006, 05:46 PM
I'm in the same boat with you. I'm deciding whether to go MH or PC, but am aiming for MH since I want to get a crocea. The only issues I have with MH's is that they can heat up a room or area and their costs for a fixture... and since I dont have air conditioning it could be a hassle in the summer.

Xandernfs
12/17/2006, 12:00 PM
No one else has an opinion?

GSMguy
12/17/2006, 12:13 PM
dude go halide and dont look back
i am a college student and i went halide am very happy with it i have two hamilton bell pendants that i bought used because my pc fixture was lacking.
i am picking up a 250watt aquamedic pendant today to replace one of my bell pendants bell pendants are junk
but your corals will grow and like the halide for sure
the other thing to look at would be t5 but ive decided i need the sparkle so im overdoing the watts with 500 watts over my 50 gall but will be using 20k bulbs with no actinic
i would much rather have the halides
my opinion

jman77
12/17/2006, 02:35 PM
Go halide...... :) I have a 250w DE 14k over a 20l and the sps love the light. I have 3 PC fans shooting across the water and it keeps the temp of the tank around 79 ..this is with the light being about 6 inches from the water ;)

You can check out Hellolights.com and get their DE kit for around 130.00 ! Includes the electronic ballast, reflector, & cords cords....