PDA

View Full Version : Need some help picking a T5 ballast

anr211
12/15/2006, 11:29 PM
I am looking for a ballast to run two 24" t5 bulbs. Is this the one I want from ballastwise? www.ballastwise.com/item.asp?PID=16&FID=15&level=1 (http://www.ballastwise.com/item.asp?PID=16&FID=15&level=1)

hahnmeister
12/16/2006, 03:14 AM
Sylvania Quicktronic QTP 2x39-24T5HO/UNV PSN. After extensive research, I would consider it the best ballast made for 110v.

anr211
12/16/2006, 10:27 AM
I have spent about an hour searching and can't find that ballast for sale anywhere on the internet.

hahnmeister
12/16/2006, 01:04 PM
Well, look up the QTP 2x54, as its the mors common 4' type. Most places that have the 2x54 can also get their hands on the 2x39 and 2x24s... but it may not be listed on a site.

reefman23
12/16/2006, 06:06 PM
Contact this company, anr211... http://cgi.ebay.com/T5-2-X-24-W-RETRO-KIT-AQUARIUM-REEF-LIGHT_W0QQitemZ330062770519QQihZ014QQcategoryZ46314QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I bought two 24 watt tek retros from them and they come with the exact ballast that hahn mentioned... i dont see just the ballast on their site, but give them a call. They are very friendly and helpful.

Jesse

pjf
12/17/2006, 08:46 PM
Yesterday, I just ordered two 48" T6 tubes and two Fulham "Workhorse 3" T5HO ballasts from: www.naturallighting.com.

My reason for buying this ballast is because it comes in a "cube" shape that will fit in a tight space. This ballast also comes in a long version. I don't think that it is the "best" ballast but it is the only ballast that I've found that could fit.

The retailer has a toll-free number and is friendly and knowledgeable on the phone. This is my first experience with this web retailer.

I'll let you know after I finish my lighting project this holiday season if it was the right buying decision or a $90 lesson.

pjf
12/17/2006, 08:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8763495#post8763495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
Sylvania Quicktronic QTP 2x39-24T5HO/UNV PSN. After extensive research, I would consider it the best ballast made for 110v.
hahnmeister:

I've never known your advice to be wrong (and I'm certainly not questioning you now) but what makes this ballast so much better than the rest?

hahnmeister
12/17/2006, 10:42 PM
it runs at a higher frequency than just about every other T5 ballast out there (just under 100khz)... like an icecap but without the overdriving. These are the american versions of the very popular OSRAM Quicktronic ballasts that most companies in Germany use for their T5 fixtures, but only come in 220v.

Now, this is as per mfg specs and talking on the phone with some lighting engineers, from Sylvania and independents. Later this month (or perhaps mid January when I get back from the UK), I do have an Apogee PAR sensor and 2x54watt ballasts from Sylvania, Vossloh-Schwabe (what ATI uses in their powermodul), and Advance. I was considering picking up a Universal Triad and workhorse, but I doubt they will be needed. Grim has tested the WH7 and its proven to be less than the others, and the Triad... well... I could... but is it really that much different than the rest? I dont hear anything special on them. I could try one but Im not going to go out of my way to find one.

I have a OSRAM ballast as well, but I cant really test that first hand or long term, as its 220v, but I was going to try taking it in to the University if I can get my hands on a power transformer... then I can test it in the 'black box'.

Oh, and Ill have an IC660 as well.

My testing was also going to compare the long term effects of the IC660 vs. a spec T5 ballast. Using a laser thermometer/pyrometer, I will adjust the airflow (3x120mm variable speed fans in a DIY fixture I made) to make the bulb temps as close to 95degrees as possible, and then run identical sets of bulbs for 12 months, with monthly readings on the bulbs for PAR, as well as a beginning and ending spectrum reading. If the results are interesting enough, I can continue the test for as long as I want.