PDA

View Full Version : What best way to raise Ca?

FrankB1
12/16/2006, 05:03 AM
Just did my weekly testing and would like to know best way to raise Ca based on water parameters. First this is my first reef tank and it is a small 20 gal long with approx 5 gal water in sump for total vol of 25gal. No corals are in the tank, just snails/hermits, shrimp, two false perc clowns and a feather duster worm. Its been set up for two months and has been through green hair algae cycle, although some still likes to live in overflow. Have some coralline algae also starting to spread to outside of overflow now. Anyway here are this mornings results.

Temp 81
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Phosphate 0.0
Specific Gravity 1.025

Alk seems to be at Low end of Normal color range (have ordered Salifert kit)

Ca 375 ppm
Mg 1500 ppm

I want to raise Ca to 400+ range and stabilize the Ca/Alk so I can eventually have a clam and some SPS.

I have been dosing 5mL ea of B-Ionic in addition to a dilute ( approx 2tsp Kalk/5gal Auto top off bucket just so pH of top off H2O is at a higher pH.

What should I do to raise Ca? I know I need to get Alk up some before raising Ca once I get a better read from the Salifert test kit.

Thanks

Briankook
12/16/2006, 05:36 AM
I use Turbo Calcium by Kent Marine if my calcium is low.

In my expereince, when Ca is low, alkalinity is high. It takes a little patience to get them in balance. Then you can start using the B-Ionic again.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/16/2006, 07:55 AM
Yes, calcium chloride is the way to go,a nd Kent Turbo and Liquid one one brand of it. You may also be able to get Dowflake from Home Depot.

This calculator shows how much to add in one or two doses:

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

and this article may help:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

FrankB1
12/16/2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. So if I add more 2 part I can raise the Ca/Alk. Based on my relatively high Mg level of 1500, I should not get much precip...correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/16/2006, 08:13 AM
As long as you do not raise the calcium, alkalinity, or pH excessively high, that is correct. :)