PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter vs. Power Hangon filter? (Eheim vs. Filstar)

chrisbenavides
12/16/2006, 11:18 AM
Which one for a 55g tank???

XP4 up to 265 gallons 13" x 9" x 17" 4 up to 450 GPH

Eheim 2026 (4.9L/1.3 gallon filter capacity) 250 gph, For use in aquariums up to 100 gallons

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now when comparing these two models, which is best though. Is it still hands down to Eheim, or does comparing these models make a difference in which is better to buy?

Now, how much better is a Eheim over a Penguin hangon powerfilter? I know they are better (obvious), but tell me why exactly.

*Also, I will be buying the AquaC Remora PRO skimmer for my 55g tank. I am currently using the AquaC Remora skimmer for this tank, but I will be using this skimmer for my 30g seahorse tank. I think that this skimmer would be perfect for a 30g tank. Is the PRO rated version that much better (worth the extra $$$) for the 55g tank, or should I just buy the same skimmer that I have already?

Any thoughts?

Thanks! I know a lot of questions. Sorry.

- Chris :)

chrisbenavides
12/16/2006, 07:59 PM
anyone?

chrisbenavides
12/17/2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe this is an obvious question to some, but I am curious to know which is often used and has better results.

yeldarbj
12/17/2006, 11:11 AM
I have the Filstar XP2 running on a 65g tank. I've been very pleased with it. I had an Eheim about 20 years ago but none recently so I can't compare current models. The filstar is very easy to clean and change media. The shut-off from the input/output hoses works very well which makes cannister removal a snap.

I think the quality of the Eheim probably is better, and it may be quieter, but when comparing the prices and performance, I had no qualms about choosing the Filstar and would do it again. The Filstar is very quiet and will not be heard over the sound of the Remora skimmer (I have one too) or even lighting fans.

I don't think you would even need to go with the XP4, consider the XP2 or XP3, depending on what media you are going to run.

chrisbenavides
12/17/2006, 02:28 PM
Hey thanks for your info. the only reason why I am considering a Filstar XP4 is that I will be upgrading to a 125g tank within a few months. The XP4 would be a good size filter for the 125g tank right? (along with the Remora AquaC PRO skimmer).

THANKS!!!

McCrary
12/17/2006, 05:24 PM
Fluval makes a good cheap canister filter, just be careful not to have to much biomedia as canister filters can produce massive amounts of nitrates. Also, the CSS 220 may be a better HOB skimmer for your 55 gallon as Aqua C remoras are hand made and can have very different skimmate production. I have had very good results with the Remora Pro w/ mag 3, but my results seem to be more of the exception than the rule.

chrisbenavides
12/17/2006, 09:02 PM
who makes the CSS 220? never heard of it. I'll start researching. ;)

Ti
12/17/2006, 09:12 PM
ehiem > xp3, BUT value wise xp3

GSMguy
12/17/2006, 11:07 PM
deltec mce 600 no filter needed with live rock and a good skimmer

McCrary
12/17/2006, 11:54 PM
CSS = Corallife Super Skimmer

yeldarbj
12/18/2006, 01:50 PM
Chris,

If you are upgrading to a 125, are you going FOWLR? If you are going reef, I am surprised you would want such a large cannister as opposed to a sump and an in-sump skimmer. If you are going sumpless, it makes a bit more sense, although many will say no cannisters at all.

wolfefish
01/02/2007, 11:04 AM
If you are upgrading to a 125, are you going FOWLR? If you are going reef, I am surprised you would want such a large cannister as opposed to a sump and an in-sump skimmer. If you are going sumpless, it makes a bit more sense, although many will say no cannisters at all.

Why would many not use a canister filter without a sump? I do not have the space to set up a sump and thought that a canister filter would help maintain good water quality.

Does anyone know of any reasons not to get a Filstar xP4?

Ti
01/02/2007, 11:21 AM
This is a pretty old thread

wolfefish
01/02/2007, 11:26 AM
Old, but not useless

yeldarbj
01/02/2007, 02:40 PM
If you don't have or want a sump, I think the Filstar XP4 is a great choice for cannisters. I've been very please with my XP2. You will probably want a very good HOT skimmer as well.

luke33
01/02/2007, 03:47 PM
I have an eheim 2015..oldschool pond canister in my FOWLR. I am building a pump right now thats a 55g with 15-20g ref. I think the canister keeps my tank super clean but it can become a nitrate factory. I ran it for 3 mths straight without changing the media and my nitrates slowly went up to 20ppm. I cleaned it out and it went back to 0-5. Eheims are great. BUt i think if you have a large bioload, they could be real nitrate factories.

wolfefish
01/02/2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was at my LFS on Sunday and was looking at canister filters. While looking at the Filstar XP4, another customer came up to me and told me that these filters were great, he had an XP3. A few minutes later, another guy came up to me and basically said the same thing. Until that day, I had never heard of Filstar or Rena for that matter, even though I have been in and out of fish keeping for 30 plus years. I asked the saleslady about the Filstars and she said they’re great. I asked her why I had never heard of them before and she said “it was political”. I interpreted that to mean that the main suppliers pushed other “well known” brands. From what I have been able to find, the Filstar XP4 is a good ?excellent? filter, I just have to make sure I do regular maintenance so that the nitrate doesn’t build up.

Yeldarbj – I have a Remora Pro with a Mag 3 which appears to work well – the reservoir fills up about one third every 3 – 4 days. I have the O-ring about a half inch from the top. However, I don’t have much in my tank now – a shrimp, anemone and a tang.

David

yeldarbj
01/02/2007, 05:53 PM
I think you will be quite pleased with the Filstar. I just ordered some Seachem Matrix to put in mine (been running it empty to test my skimmer). I'm hoping the Matrix will help some with the nitrates in the long run, seems like it is similar to having live rock rubble in the cannister. I'll go back to running carbon and Purigen as well, with 1-2 foam pads that I will keep clean. I think the tank water was much cleaner when running the Filstar with media.

wolfefish, sounds like we have very similar setups, your tank is twice the size though. I've got a sumpless 65 with Filstar XP2 and Remora skimmer.

wolfefish
01/02/2007, 07:31 PM
I’m going to set the XP4 up this weekend and I’ll see how it goes.

David

mthird
01/02/2007, 09:21 PM
I have/had a Filstar XP3. It worked pretty well, however it was quite loud. I gave it to my brother who was setting up a FW tank. He decided it wasn't worth cleaning and got one of the new inexpensive Eheim's.

Just some more info and not meant to degrade your choice.

wolfefish
01/02/2007, 10:40 PM
mthird - Thanks for your comments.

D

Ti
01/02/2007, 10:54 PM
get the filstar