PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Timers and Automation for the Reef

firebirdbandit
12/16/2006, 05:11 PM
I am posting this thread to educate some reefers and also to gather more information. How many reefers are using an automation system on their reef setups. After endlessly searching for a way to get rid of my 6 timers I came across the x10 home automation system. I spent the extra money and purchased it and I found it extremly useful. First off I have a 4 x 96 PC lighting system on my reef tank. I was able to put a timer on each of the bulbs and create a day night cycle. I also have fans attached to my canopy and put those on timers as well. I have moon lights and those went on too. I also have a refugium light and I used another module for that. In my opinion this was one of the greatest tools I got for my tank. It also helps me know the time of day. Everyday at exactly 10:45pm the last 10,000k bulb goes out and then 14 min later the moon lights come on and 1 min later the atinic goes out. It never changes like before when I used to accidently hit the timer and move the wheel. I also never have to reach behind the tank. I have my pumps hooked up to an x10 module and then I have a remote control and I can turn off all my pumps with the touch of a button. My 65 Gallon Saltwater reef tank has a total of 8 modules and I can control each one with the remote control. I can also adjust all the times from my PC. Anytime I need to tweak something it takes less than 5 min to adjust. This is a great system. I prob spend a little over $100 for the reef tank. I also use it on my turtle tank and some of the lights in my house. Just make sure you get the appliance modules if you are using floresent lights. Look past the advertisment crap on the www.x10.com website and you'll find something very useful to the average and advanced reefer. Any Questions?

MC Lighting
12/16/2006, 06:44 PM
I have installed many X10 systems and there is a reason I refuse to run it on my reef tank or anything anymore for that matter, If you have nice clean power and are well isolated from your neighbors then x10 is a wonderful thing, if on the other hand you have a lot of devices on your wiring that are "dirty" or your neighbors for that matter you will have a lot of "odd issues" such as inconsistant on/off, mysterious turn on/offs etc. I could not for the life of me figure out why I had one particular light that would come on at 3am every day for no reason, come to find out my neighbor had his pool pump set for 3am to come on and the spike was just enough to turn on my light; glad I had fixed his timer or I would have never known what was causing it...

pjf
12/16/2006, 06:46 PM
Which X10 timer are you using?

I've had two X10 Mini-Timers and the battery backup on these timers do not work. The battery backup may not completely fail but after a power outage, I've found that the time drifts by several minutes. I've had to reset the time after moving the timer to another receptacle and after each power outage.

firebirdbandit
12/16/2006, 10:31 PM
I used the hookup to the computer. I've unpluged the unit a few times and I and I no issues with the battery backup. The unit I have is the ActiveHome Pro system. http://www.activehomepro.com/activehome-pro.html

namdrib2
12/17/2006, 05:32 AM
I haved used X-10 for about the past seven years with mixed results. At first it was just like MC Lighting syas, inconsistant. Fortunately, I have a good freind that is an electrician and with a case or two of beer as an incentive he came over and re-wired my house, didn't charge me a dime for the parts. I still had a few problems with devices that were on a different phase of the electric sevrice than the controller an had to install a phase coupler ($75 including the extra breakers) to correct it. And when I installed the MH lighting I had to use a line conditioner at the ballast due to the noise they generated on the lines. The line conditioner was another gift from my freind the electrician but they would have cost me $50/ea (i checked). I have since moved out of the house. If have not setup the X-10 for the tank this time as I have purchased an aquarium controller (ReefKeeper 2) o do the job. This also controls heating and cooling as well as pH. With the ballast plugged into this the noise from them does not make it to the house wiring and the line conditioners are not needed either.

And the battery in the controller will fail when least expected. I was change mine at the same time I do the ones in the smoke detecors (sping and fall). You may also want to get yourself a tabletop controller as well so that you acn access the devices without having to get at the computer. The IR4040-AH will allow you to get to every device and house code with a universal remote (I use a Phillips Pronto Pro remote).

crumbletop
12/17/2006, 06:14 AM
As has been stated, X10 is unreliable for reef tanks. Electronic lighting ballasts can pose a particular problem.

If you want control over lots of channels, then look into something like the AquaController Jr. from Neptune Systems. It can run X10 (which the manufacturer doesn't recommend), but can also control special non-X10 8 and 4 channel power strips, can monitor pH, etc.

firebirdbandit
12/17/2006, 07:26 AM
I've had no problems with mine at all.

crumbletop
12/17/2006, 07:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8769399#post8769399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firebirdbandit
I've had no problems with mine at all.

That's good.

Reliability is only really a factor with things like temp control and water circulation. If my lights were to not go on some time because of a glitch, etc, then no real harm would be done. If my return pump turned off for some reason, then my tank would likely be hosed. YMMV.

rdmpe
12/17/2006, 09:35 AM
I have a reefkeeper 1 and an Aquacontroller Jr. These handle all the timers, temperature controlled fans, PH control, etc.

If money was no object I'd go with an Aquacontroller IIIpro and three DC8's...

Acroholic
12/17/2006, 09:45 AM
In my experience, the X-10 modules are unreliable at best. After repeated failures with different modules, I ditched them all and hardwired everything with DC4HD's and a DC8.
I would not trust any critical componet on my reef system to be operated by an X-10 module.

firebirdbandit
12/17/2006, 10:29 AM
If something were to go wrong I'd be able to catch it pretty quickly. The way I have my tank setup if the power goes out then the air pump keeps pumping air into the tank, sump and refugium for about 24 hours and if I need it longer I can just add more batteries. I'm glad you guys meantion the unreliability of x10 because now I'll just make sure I take the one module that operates all the pumps off when I go away for vacation just in case. Thanks