PDA

View Full Version : PVC cement

Joshua1023
12/16/2006, 06:47 PM
I had to make some slight mods to my sump plumbing to fit my new skimmer under my cabinet. There was no way around having to use PVC cement to attach to existing plumbing. Question is how long should I let this stuff set up before it is safe to turn my sump back on?

djtodd
12/16/2006, 06:48 PM
The grey stuff used for attaching pvc piping together, right?

I usually wait a whole 10 minutes.

Joshua1023
12/16/2006, 06:54 PM
The one I have is the two part primer/cement. That is the only stuff I know of. Is that the same as what your talking about?

Roland Jacques
12/16/2006, 07:13 PM
grey stuff???
two part? meaning two steps right?

PVC glue / cement you should try to get ventilation to it. to allow the solvent (MEK) to evaporate completely. I use the Rain or shine wet or dry PVC glue (blue) vent until you cant smell it any more 10-20 minites is plenty of time.

The air/gas in the pipe should be vented if possible. I would add some new carbon to the system when doing gluing with critters in system.

djtodd
12/16/2006, 07:18 PM
No, the stuff I use is only 1 part.

Like this: http://www.herchem.com/products/pipecement.html

Timmy44221
12/16/2006, 07:41 PM
The primer is not nessisary, its just something extra to sell you. (Do use it thought if you have it, as it does clean the pipe). As for the PVC Cement. 10min wait is all you need. It should cure up in 5min, but 10 is playing it safe.

Joshua1023
12/16/2006, 07:54 PM
Thanx fellas.

Tripspike
12/16/2006, 10:13 PM
Primer is not something extra to sell you. You can get away without using it. However, the bond strength is weaker and the lifespan of the glue joint is a lot less.

Trip

namdrib2
12/17/2006, 05:39 AM
Trip is correct. The primer cleans the pipe by removing the surface layer of the pipe creating a rougher surface which creates a better bonded joint. If you have some use it, but you don't really need it for this application. I didn't use it and have not had a problem with any leaks or such.

oosurfin
12/17/2006, 08:30 AM
i think primer is almost always needed IMHO i used flex pvc on my system. i was told to double primer the flex pvc because it is a different material than hard pvc and the primer doesnt penetrate the pipe as well. i honestly dont think it would have been the same same leak-free system on the first try if i didnt use the primer. primer basically melts the pipe putting mini pits in it and stripping away the top layer of pipe. this adds to surface area of the pipe as namd and trip have stated. the glue also melts the pipe but not to the same degree as primer does. these 2 compounds when used together dont merely glue the pipe together but actually melt and fuse them together. while im not 100% sure about the science behind this ive been told this by more than a few plumbing and irrigation specialty store and member of this board. now back to the topic :). usually everything sets with in 5-10m but i like to wait ~30 mins till the smell is gone almost entirely before i get water moving through it