PDA

View Full Version : bubbles coming out of my LR, is an algae bloom coming?

jcardona
12/16/2006, 10:45 PM
Stocked my tank for the first time today:

A pair of small true perculas
A pair of cleaner shrimps
One Scott's Damsel
One Firefish goby

Tested Phosphate: no readings. Then tested for Calcium and was at 320 ppm.

Added 1.5 cap of Purple Up to grow my coralline.
Added 1/2 teaspoon of "Reef Bugs".

After 2 hrs. tested Calcium: 340 ppm
Tested for Phospate 2 hrs. later and still no readings.

The las few hours started noticing lots of bubbles coming out of my LR specially in places were I can see small spots of green algae. Does it mean I am getting algae growth, green perhaps? (is this possible if my Phosphate is at o?)or is it my coralline due to the Purple uP.

I run 250 MH w/ Remora Aqua C skimmer on a 72 gal corner tank. Just stocked after cycle completed.

Please advise....

davocean
12/16/2006, 11:02 PM
Bubbles could be nitrgen gas exchange process, but hard to say w/out pics.

jcardona
12/16/2006, 11:21 PM
I think it may be but I am wondering if is the corraline or the green algae. I really have very small spot of green that I think may be growing but not sure. My question comes because I don't know how if the Purple Up works that fast or is it the the nutrients in the tank are increasing due to the Reef Bugs. Yesterday I was not seen bubbles. But I also wonder if the Algae can be gowing if no Phosphates are showing?

jcardona
12/16/2006, 11:38 PM
Is it a coincidence that is happens after starting adding stuff or is it part of the normal process after the tank cycle?

davocean
12/16/2006, 11:43 PM
Corraline can be green.
Ease up on the purple up.
Don't make it happen, let it happen.

jcardona
12/16/2006, 11:52 PM
I am pretty much sure the green one is green algae since it looks hairy and not hard. What is the best way of using Purple up then?

popimp06
12/17/2006, 02:43 AM
probaly that purp. but my rock does that too i thought it was just air trapped in the rock when i put in my tank

jcardona
12/17/2006, 11:02 PM
Tonight I'm also seen some brown stuff. Is that Ciano?

Don't see any bubbles on the green algae.

I lost one cleaner Shrimp. He was a bit slow since I introduced him yesterday. It seems that the three hour drive was too much for him. I can not get to it, It is behind a base rock.

Do I need to remove dead shrimp if I don't get a spike?

Tested water params:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

aquarius77
12/17/2006, 11:24 PM
I would remove the shrimp if possible, esp with it being a newer tank.

jcardona
12/17/2006, 11:33 PM
Correction

Nitrates: 5 or 10 ppm not sure since the colors are similar.

Is this enough for algae blooms?

aquarius77
12/17/2006, 11:40 PM
You will see more alge than you want most likely with a new tank, i would not go trying to induce it.

jcardona
12/17/2006, 11:43 PM
But my question is if my Phosphates are reading 0 and Nitrates reading 5-10 ppm. Should I be seen algae?

bertoni
12/18/2006, 02:04 AM
Personally, I'd skip the Purple Up. There are discussions of this product in the chemistry forum.

The bubbles off the rock could be due to algae. Algal blooms are very common in new tanks. I wouldn't worry too much yet. Has the tank had any water changes since the ammonia hit zero? A few 20% changes might help clean up the water.

jcardona
12/18/2006, 09:43 PM
The cycle occurred while curing for 8 weeks. Then LR was moved to the new tank. No Ammonia spikes have been detected for 1.5 weeks with bioload.