PDA

View Full Version : buying snails

bufu11
12/16/2006, 10:48 PM
around here the only snails that are readily available are turbo's and they are at teh cheapest 5.50 and go up to 11.99 so im looking for some advice of how many snails and what kinds for my 40 gallon, and ofcorse a link to a website to get them, thanks

sir_dudeguy
12/16/2006, 10:54 PM
wow! those are REDICULOUSLY high prices!

Go to reeftopia.com and look thru their snails. Try and get a couple other people in with you and see if you can get an order of over 120 bucks. If its over 120 you get free shipping. But seeing as their prices are pretty cheap anyways, you may not be able to get that w/just a few people lol.

Anyways, for a 40 gallon, i'd say get around 10 ceriths, 10 astreas, and 10 nassarius to start out. I personally dont like turbos as the others are better than them for me anyways, and they also knock over rocks quite often. But ceriths are the best, so imo i'd get maybe closer to 15 of them.

davocean
12/16/2006, 10:57 PM
That's really expensive.
I personally don't buy turbos anymore, tired of flipping them over.
Astreas and ceriths work for me.
Try doctorsfoster&smith.com
Maybe about 10 of each.

staticx
12/16/2006, 11:24 PM
My lfs has turbos for 2 bucks. Maybe you should go to a diff store to look there has to be more then one

acrouse
12/16/2006, 11:45 PM
I Have never heard of people having trouble with turbos tipping over-but the astrea's have to be watched and flipped all the time!

davocean
12/16/2006, 11:50 PM
I started w/ all turbos, and had to flip them everyday, and alot of people have said the same.
I've never had to flip an astrea or cerith unless I just knocked them over.

bufu11
12/16/2006, 11:53 PM
i live in canada, in my area there is only 2 pet stores within an hour drive ( the 2 are abotu a 10 minute walk) and one doesnt sell snails and the other has the ****ty prices

davocean
12/17/2006, 12:01 AM
I'm usually not big on online shopping for livestock, but in this case and especially since it's snails I say get out the card and hit up fostersmith!

MR PALM BEACH
12/17/2006, 12:20 AM
ouch! iv never seen turbos over 3$, And I deal with 4 local retailers. Search around some local cities by you, your bound to find a lfs that has them at a deceint price.

sir_dudeguy
12/17/2006, 01:19 AM
fostersmith does not ship to canada i dont think, and reeftopia might not either, but at least send them an email. I've delt with them 2 times now and ordered over 50 snails both times...so far i've had like 2 die lol. On the other hand tho, i've gone to the lfs and had all of them die within a couple days. I dont get it. But you cant beat 24 cents for an astrea (and i've never had a problem with them tipping over...and i do believe that they and turbos are closely related, but astreas are tiny)

a4twenty
12/17/2006, 06:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8768641#post8768641 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bufu11
i live in canada, in my area there is only 2 pet stores within an hour drive ( the 2 are abotu a 10 minute walk) and one doesnt sell snails and the other has the ****ty prices

you could go to big als on centenial parkway in hamilton. they have astraea snails 10 for $20. i was in the oakville store yesterday and they had nassarius, nerite, astraea and turbos. ( i think the turbos where $4 and change ea. )

as for how many mexican turbos for a 40g, i'd say start with 1 or 2. any more will probably starve to death.

you could make it to oakville in less than 1 hour and there is a big als and the reef gallery, right across the road from each other.

PS sorry the turbos were across the road @ the reef gallery

dannable
12/17/2006, 06:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8768641#post8768641 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bufu11
Hey fellow Canadian. Where are the LFS you are talking about? You are about 55 min from Big Al's in Oakville (according to google maps). I think they have more reasonable prices. I am going there today so I will check it out.

Another option you have is this website. It is for people selling used livestock\aquarium items (liverock, snails, fish, tanks, etc..). Just register and on the left hand side of the site click classifieds. Good luck.

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/index.php

a4twenty
12/17/2006, 06:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8769285#post8769285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dannable
I am going there today so I will check it out.

it's wild in there right now, staff has been staying 16 - 18 hr days trying to acclimatize and squeeze everything in for the Xmas rush.
loads of corals, carpets and clams........ oh my :mixed:

Cshradr7
12/17/2006, 07:22 PM
for a tank that size, check out www.etropicals.com - they are a branch of drs foster and smith and have great prices and a good guarentee. i'm happy with the order that i got from them and they have free shipping on orders over $60