PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to painting your tank.

Derek03
12/17/2006, 12:05 AM
I dont know if anyone else uses this or if it has ever been suggested but I see a lot of people asking about paint for tank backgrounds. I have a better solution to paint that takes about 5 minutes to install and is almost impossible to mess up.

I have been using vinyl sticker on the back of my tanks for a couple of years and it has worked flawless.

You can get it at sign and print shops. Its the same stuff used or decals on cars so it is pretty durable. It most commonly comes in rolls of 30" wide so it is perfect for most tanks. You can get in just about any color and it is extremely easy to remove if you get bored with the same color, you just pull the corner and it comes off. It has color on both sides so what you see is what you get once it is on the tank.

To install it you just fill a spray bottle with water and a drop or two of dish soap and spray it on the back of the tank. then peel the back off the sticker and give it a little mist as well. This keeps the sticker from sticking on itself if you are doing this alone. Put the vinyl where you want it a squeege the water out with a creditcard or drivers licenses. Start at the center and work your way out.

Occasionally you can get small air bubbles which can be poped with a needle or removed with a little heat from a hair dryer.

Wow that was a lot to type for something so simple but it only takes 5 mins and your done. No real mess to clean.

The vinyl is pretty inexpensive, the shop my brother works at gets 50yd rolls at about $30 a roll so you can get a couple of feet for next to nothin. A lot of places have scrap piles as well so they might have a piece big enough for really cheap or free. Hopes this helps some as much as it has helped me.