PDA

View Full Version : bubble algae

MmCheeto
12/17/2006, 11:12 AM
I know there is some information in this forum about this particular algae problem. After about a few hours playing with the search function and finding nothing even under "bubble" I think its time to simply ask.

What member of the cleanup crew would be best suited for bubble algae maintenance? I pluck the larger ones by hand and in the past have used emerald crabs. Also any clue to a cure for this particular problem would help as well.

I welcome suggestions and helpful info.

Sk8r
12/17/2006, 11:34 AM
Tripneustes gracilis urchin doesn't eat it, but he pulls it off to use as ornaments. [foster/smith]. The purple tang will nibble at it, but it's mostly too big for his mouth. It's a pain. Try running Phosban or one of the phosphate removers. If algae is growing, imho there's phosphate lurking in there somewhere, maybe bound so it's not registering, but there's phosphate.

Pygy88
12/17/2006, 11:47 AM
I've read on some of these forums that you should remove it. It can become a REAL pest and take over. Also I recall in the other posting on the subject to be careful not to pop the bubble because it will cause "spores" or something to release further adding to the problem. According to them, nothing really eats it :( . best of luck

drummereef
12/17/2006, 11:50 AM
If you can manually remove it, it's about the only sure fire method of removal. Take your time and don't pop them.

Lizz85
12/17/2006, 12:08 PM
I agree w/ manual removal. That's what I do. I have a small little patch of it that I have to manually remove about once every 2 months. Then watch it grow again.

MmCheeto
12/17/2006, 12:17 PM
I spend a little time each week and remove anything bigger than a dime. I have noticed clusters of smaller versions clumped in high flow spots. They are very small and numerous so I don't dare mess with them for a fear of popping them.

My problem source atm is simply old RODI filters. Already ordered new replacements along with a TDS monitor . Compound that with a dead chiller and rising temperature it seams my beautiful reef has turned in to a breeding ground for algae.

I should have it fixed by the weeks end. However I anticipate a spice in algae growth. Ill keep monitoring phosphates and remove what can by hand.

Thanks for the helpful info.

Timmy44221
12/17/2006, 07:07 PM
DONT POP THEM. I had some and removed almost all of it. One piece got away, and went into a powerhead. The next day.. and now, its everywhere. I bought an emerald crab and hopefully he can keep it in cheak.

Ruthie Kansas
12/17/2006, 09:03 PM
I'm also having a problem with bubble algae. I just added 2 emerald crabs hoping they would eat it but one is dead after only 2 days in the tank. I think I made the problem worse by trying to pull the bubbles off and bursting them.

Any other ideas for controlling this pest?