PDA

View Full Version : iffy fox coral makes comeback [pix]

Sk8r
12/17/2006, 12:39 PM
I acquired a pretty battered fox---the center of its S curve was dead and algaed. It wouldn't feed adequately and wasn't thriving. Having seen a really prosperous one, and noting how the rows double up, I broke it in the bare spot and puttied the two matching curves together.

This made it more stable, for one thing. I stuck it upright in the sand, and it began to come out. From fading and unhealthy, it has become quite vigorous, is getting food [I think the double-ruffles help trap particulates] and is likely to start growing. The coral is twice the expansion it was before this operation, as vigorous as that huge specimen I saw in the lfs. I have a notion if you aren't having luck with this coral, getting a second one and plastering them together might increase the chances for both.

Brewen
12/17/2006, 12:42 PM
do you have a pic of?

Sk8r
12/17/2006, 01:17 PM
I'll try.http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Sk8r10/regionals095.jpg
This is the fox in the two-piece stage, one piece to the left, near the caulaestra---excuse the spots on the glass.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Sk8r10/d0a991ce.jpg

And this is the fox after the reunion of the pieces.

musty baby
12/17/2006, 02:44 PM
Well done, I wouldn't have thought to do that.

Grand Wizard
12/17/2006, 02:46 PM
:cool: Well done its a beautiful fox coral, ;) wish we could get them here in uk. :mad:

Sk8r
12/17/2006, 04:18 PM
And my habitual left-right confusion strikes again: I meant to the RIGHT in the topmost picture.

I wouldn't have thought to do it if I hadn't had two pieces to try to save.

Thanks for the kind words...

SLODEN53
12/23/2006, 09:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8770906#post8770906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r

"This made it more stable, for one thing. I stuck it upright in the sand, and it began to come out. From fading and unhealthy, it has become quite vigorous, is getting food [I think the double-ruffles help trap particulates]"

Question...is the proper placement for these fox corals upright in the sand as you state you did yours? I have read that these corals can be placed just about anywhere except in high flow areas.

I have had one for almost two weeks now and it has yet to open up. It does open width wide when I feed brine shrimp or frozen shrimp. Yet it has not even made an effort to open upwards and out.

I have placed it upright in the sand in low to moderate current...just like my torch coral likes and have also placed it in the rock work higher up in the tank. And, yes I have left it in these positions for several days before trying other placements.

In my opinion, these fox corals are just gorgeous when opened! I saw a couple in my lps (were not for sale) and they were huge and a beautiful pinkish beige color.

Mine is a pink and green one and I would love to know how to get it to open upwards and out.

Susie
Your learn something new everyday!

jessp
12/24/2006, 05:29 AM
i don't keep mind in sand, or upright. i keep it on it's side facing front of tank. it has swelled up and opened for a year. only thing is that after i moved tank had a small rock slide and he landed on open brain. so there are a couple parts of the ridge that died. i debated whether to cut it up or not and but it still looks good when open even w/ a couple spots missing.

SLODEN53
12/24/2006, 08:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8819057#post8819057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jessp
i don't keep mind in sand, or upright. i keep it on it's side facing front of tank.

I tried this position too. Last evening just before I made my initial post, I moved my fox coral up high in the tank amongst some rock work (on it's side) and underneath the shade of my Seachem PS. Much to my delight, it almost immediately began to open up!

Perhaps it was getting to much light and/or current flow? Where the fox coral is now located gets just a smidgeon of movement from the current.

By the way, the pic of the fox coral that was "surgically" fixed is indeed quite beautiful! I hope mine continues to open even more like the one in the pic.

tuberider
12/25/2006, 06:03 PM
Good job, IME Fox coral is not the easiest coral to rescue.