PDA

View Full Version : Brackish Macro?

Aquaterrium
12/17/2006, 05:20 PM
Im looking for a plant that can tolerate a brackish environment to use in a refugium on my mudskipper/archer tank. Any Ideas?

billsreef
12/17/2006, 06:50 PM
What salinity are you maintaining?

saltycreefer
12/17/2006, 06:54 PM
Probably some java fern if the salinity is low enough, or what about mangroves?

graveyardworm
12/17/2006, 07:28 PM
I think Ruppia, Halophila engelmanni. There are some threads around. Use keyword brackish in the "search this forum" box at the bottom of the marine plants page.

Samala
12/18/2006, 12:55 AM
It really is a wide range, and knowing where you'll average will help. Off the top of my head I know that the following do well in the 20 - 35 ppt range.

Caulerpa prolifera, Acetabularia, Chaetomorpha aerea, Ulva, and a species of Gracilaria which I havent been able to ID along with a few other reds.

Java fern would be a candidate for the very low end of salinity. I'd say no higher than 5ppt, or at least that's as high as I could go with it.

>Sarah

Aquaterrium
12/18/2006, 12:15 PM
the tank tends to run at about 1/3 the strength of a full marine setup. i have mangroves in the tank but they grow too slowly, im looking for fast growth and something that will form a mat for the mudskippers. ill try acclimating some chateo grass over maybe that will make it. Thanks a lot