PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate sponge or factory?

the other tang
12/17/2006, 05:18 PM
i use Kent nitrate sponge in my penguin 330. I am wondering first of all does it even work? Second at what point does the unfiltered water turn the sponge into a factory? There is a reason I have tons of bristle worms in my carbon filters when I change them, and the nitrate sponge is before the filter. This thing had to get plenty of food and such from the tank, so is it a sponge or a factory. If it is a sponge for how long, I know it has to cycle but then how long does it last?

Mike O'Brien
12/17/2006, 07:08 PM
These media rely on anerobic bacteria to perform denitrification. That process would seem to be greatly limited in a filter where there is plenty of water flow and oxygen. I don't put much faith in product's like this.

the other tang
12/17/2006, 08:02 PM
is there a better way of using this product, or are you saying you don't have faith in the product itself?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/18/2006, 07:29 AM
I do not generally think that the nitrate sponge will be especially useful if you already have a lot of live rock.

I'd look to other ways to reduce nitrate. I prefer skimming and growing macroalgae, but there are many methods:

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

the other tang
12/18/2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks Randy, I have approx 60/70 lbs of lr in my 40g. Do you think that is enough? I have a monster skimmer that does whatever you want, thin skim or sludge it is very adjustable. I just added chaeto for the first time. I am confident Ican control the nitrates, do you have any pointers to get rid of phosphates, or simply follow the above advice?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/18/2006, 12:57 PM
It is enough that I doubt the Kent product will help, but live rock alone is often not adequate to keep nitrate under control.

This article has more on phosphate control:

Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php