PDA

View Full Version : DIY overflow questions

schoch79
12/17/2006, 08:35 PM
I'm thinking of doing a DIY overflow kinda based on Travis Steven's design in the step by step marine aquarium setup thread. But I have a few questions.

1) How would I go about plumbing an overflow through the bottom of the tank instead of the back?

2) In your opinion is it better to overflow from underneath or from back?

3) What are the pros/cons of both methods?

4) Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

staticx
12/17/2006, 08:47 PM
IMO a overflow is a overflow doesnt matter where you put your drains.

schoch79
12/17/2006, 08:53 PM
Also I have read different methods of doing the overflow on the bottom. Something of what I am talking about is just to put the drain hole almost flush with the glass and the other is to take a smaller pvc pipe up several inches from the bottom closer to the slots in the slots cut in the overflow. I don't know anything about overflows so I'm kinda confused.

schoch79
12/18/2006, 12:43 AM
anybody?

RTKBA308
12/18/2006, 12:56 AM
Aren't the bottoms tempered glass?

schoch79
12/18/2006, 01:00 AM
Not really sure. All I'm looking at is a cheap little 10 gallon tank. But I guess that would make sense then why the drilling is done through the back so much. So I take it if the holes are in the bottom (I've seen a few like this) they are probably made that way at the factory?

kau_cinta_ku
12/18/2006, 06:28 AM
usually tanks 40 gal. and smaller don't have tempered glass but some manufactors may have it. but a 10 gal. tank shouldn't have tempered glass

Shagsbeard
12/18/2006, 06:45 AM
I'm just on my "learner's" tank... but when I get to do it over again correctly, I'll have my tank drilled in the bottom even if I have to build my own tank from scratch to get it done. My tank stands in a kind of alcove over a stairway so it's viewable from all sides. Drilling the tank on the bottom would hide some plumbing from view... a big plus in a well designed tank.

There's a variety of drains, the Durso Standpipe seems to get good press, but I have no experience with it. The idea is to keep the drain from gurgling or flushing like a toliet.

schoch79
12/18/2006, 07:39 PM
Ok so does anyone have any diagrams of how to set one up? Or even a link to one somewhere? I'm getting lots of input but I have no clue as to what I'm doing or where to start besides drilling the hole and setting up a overflow. Sorry for being so uninformed.

MR PALM BEACH
12/18/2006, 08:12 PM
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diyoverflowboxplans/DIY_Overflow_Box_Plans.htm

schoch79
12/19/2006, 01:20 AM
Oh thank you soooo much. That was exactly what I was looking for! Now I can get on to making it. I'll keep everyone posted when I do it. Again thanks a lot sushi.