PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Eco-System?????

sjj80
12/17/2006, 10:22 PM
Can anyone share any info about the eco-system filtration method? I have a 90g w/ 25g sump that I'm wanting to have a heavily stocked reef with mostly sps. I'm wanting to modify my current 25g tank that I'm using as a sump to be used for the eco-system method. I just don't know enough info to really be sure that this is the way to go.

sjj80
12/17/2006, 10:49 PM
Surely someone has something to say about eco-system, be it good or bad. Need Advice.

bureau13
12/17/2006, 11:02 PM
I used it with their gear on my 55. When I upgraded to my 240, none of their sumps of adequate size fit my stand, so I had my own custom job built, and while I was at it, I used a mix of my old Ecosystems Miracle Mud, and some new stuff that was MUCH cheaper.

There are some really fantastic aquariums out there using the Ecosystems method. I have to say, my 240 is doing much better than my 55 ever did, but I think that has more to do with the fact that its bigger, and relative to the size the bioload is a bit smaller.

Oh yeah, I also skim 24/7, which is definitely not what Ecosystems recommends.

jds

sjj80
12/17/2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know that someone else and many others as you said use ecosystem. They make a pretty big claim and the article links on their website support those claims. However since it's on "their" website I'm looking for outside testimonials. If you or anyone else knows where I can find that kind of info please let me know.

sparks56
12/17/2006, 11:15 PM
yea, the echo system is supposed to eliminate the skimmer, never tried one but i do like my skimmer:rollface:

sjj80
12/17/2006, 11:27 PM
Ecosystem does say that a skimmer isn't necessary yet thier "pro" series of sumps come with skimmers, ASM I believe. Out of the articles I've read some people use skimmers and some don't. They all report the same results. I guess it's a matter of preference.

skimmy
12/18/2006, 12:36 AM
i know people were pretty disapointed when they did the gas spectrometer analysis on the miracle mud, massive heavy metals like aluminum and titanium, as well as iron.
im weary of any product that tells me to ditch the best filter i have on my system and solely rely on their proprietary mud mixture.
they make it sound like you can only grow those critters or get positive results with their system, like you cant get the same results with a "normal" refugium with say live rock rubble or oolithic sand.
very funny how the pro system comes with a skimmer....

bureau13
12/18/2006, 09:26 AM
The pro system does come with a skimmer, but they don't even really recommend it. When I was asking them about that, they basically said if you have to use the skimmer, don't use it all the time. I think they offer it sort of as a nod to people who "can't let go" or who have an extremely high bioload. That said...yeah, I love my skimmer too! :)

They do talk up their very expensive Miracle Mud. Is it better than any other refugium mud? I have no clue. I do believe some of those heavy metals, especially iron, are essential for the good growth of macro algae in the refugium. Personally, I don't care what the analysis says its made of if it works, but my very limited experience doesn't prove to me that its any better than any other cheaper mud.

jds

MJT82
12/18/2006, 09:38 AM
I have the HOB ecosystem refugium, and I can't get the darned thing to work properly! It's design isn't as good as the CPR HOB's, IMO. I'm just glad I got it super duper cheap!