PDA

View Full Version : Is this bulb ok to use on sump?

biggredd
12/18/2006, 02:07 PM
I have been using a Coralife 10,000 k light on mu sump for aocuple of months now, it is the tube style bulb with pins at the ends. It has done absolutely nothing for my Chaeto.

I was at Lowes today and talked to a guy there and he said this particular light is in the 6500k range, will it work?

It is a GE Reveal 75 watt - Color henhanced Full spectrum flood light.

Says 950 lums on the box but the guy said he was very sure it was 6,500k. Do you think this will help my chaeto or should I return it? My Chaeto has even gotten smaller in the 4 months I've had, zero growth. Just trying anything. I'm on a tight budget. I saw some other threads on here and can't find any local places with the TCP or lights of America bulbs recomended by Melevs.

kfowler
12/18/2006, 02:24 PM
Have you tried Wal-Mart for the LoA. I know mine carries it. As long as the bulb is truky 6500K, you should be fine. If it doesn't say on the bulb, I would call the manufacturer.

After using the TCP, I think I could easily tell if it's in the 6000K range or 2700K. Very different looking light.

biggredd
12/18/2006, 02:48 PM
I called GE and they claim they don't have the Kelvin rating on this bulb at all. she said similar bulbs are aroun 3,000k but she didn't have this specific line of bulbs rated. Should I be concerned? The guy at Lowes was trying to say this line of bulbs is in the daylight range but I don't know and don't want to trust without a second opinion.

cveverly
12/18/2006, 03:00 PM
I would look at Walmart or other store for the full spectrum screw base compact florescent bulb. Use one of the cheap clamp reflectors. Cost is less than $15 and they run a lot cooler than a flood light. The CF lights use less energy and last a long time.

I have looked at Lowes and HD near me and they do not carry a bulb that works very well. Home Depot does sell a complete outdoor fixture that works very well. It is made by Lights of America. Only down side is the amount of room they consume and they run a little hot because they are enclosed.

2swift
12/18/2006, 03:36 PM
Try the CF 27w 5500k Full spectrum

biggredd
12/18/2006, 03:41 PM
Is there a regular store you know that sells CF? I'm trying to avoid buying online since there seems to be very high shipping charges compared to the cost of the bulb. Everyone claims to go to Home depot or Walmart and I can't find one place that sells a regular bulb above 5,000k here in Denver and I don't want to spend a ton of money at the LFS.

But thanks for all the replies so far.

2swift
12/18/2006, 03:47 PM
Sorry I got mine at depot! There the n:vision's

papagimp
12/18/2006, 04:18 PM
Anything from 5000 to 6700k will work just fine. Home depot carries the sylvania brand "daylight" bulbs, sprial type flourescent, I think the one I have is 27watts, over a 10g sump/fuge and my cheato grows very well.