PDA

View Full Version : Tank dimensions: pros and cons?

Z-Man07
12/18/2006, 04:25 PM
Good evening, Reefers!

I have a thread going in the Newbie forum that has changed it's direction so I thought I would redirect it here.

Here is the thread FWIW:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=996288

Here is the question that has come up -

What are the benefits and drawbacks of both a 120g long and a 120g high? I was trying to decide between a 90g and a 120g high. I have eliminated the 90g. People have graciously provided some of their opinions regarding going longer. I am curious for some others' input as well.

Here are my considerations:
1. Staying at 48" long so that as much equipment as possible will be transferable to the 120 from my current 55.
2. I, and my wife, like the look of a 48" tank.
3. I am renting while I am stationed here, so I cannot modify the house, and will likely go to a 200+g system in my next house that we own again.
4. I do like the idea of having quite a few fish that are moderately large, so the suggestion of a longer tank for swimming room is definitely on my mind.

I understand that it is up to my preference but what factors am I not thinking of? What is your opinion in the matter?

Thanks in advance,

sir_dudeguy
12/18/2006, 04:52 PM
is it gonna be a reef or no? If yes, then i say go for the longer but shorter one for a couple reasons. Number one is lighting....lighting a short tank compaired to a tall tank is completely different. By getting a long tank you might be saving a considerable amount of money on lighting (you would not have to get quite as strong of lights with a short tank).

Secondly is mainly for fish...some fish would do great in a 5ft long tank (which is what i think the 120's are...5 or 6..cant remember). But then even if the tank is the same volume, if it is shorter but taller that same fish might not be quite as happy. Most fish prefer swimming sideways as far as they can over going up and down.

Z-Man07
12/18/2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the response. I appreciate your time.

It will be what I am now officially dubbing the "LOFWAFCIT". Just in case you don't know what that is :D It is "Lots Of Fish With A Few Corals In There"!!! (I hope that I am not the only one who finds that humorous :p )

A 120g high is only 24" tall. Does that raise a lot of problems for lighting a tank? I was hoping that with a tall tank I could keep the light- loving corals at the top and the light-not-so-much-needing corals nearer the bottom. I aim for a very eclectic, unique tank.

Am I making any sense at all?:hmm4:

(Why, yes. I have been drinking. Why do you ask? :beer: )

Z-Man07
12/18/2006, 07:22 PM
I guess I was the only one who found that humorous.

Z-Man07
12/18/2006, 08:36 PM
Just so I know... Did I write something bad in here? Or am I not asking the question in the right way? Am I in the wrong forum?

I was just making a couple of jokes while having a discussion.

I'm wondering because it seems like a legitimate question and 70 people have looked at it so far with only one response. Am I being too impatient? Help me out here.

sir_dudeguy
12/18/2006, 08:49 PM
lol more people will view threads than they will respond. Sometimes it takes like 100 views for some threads to even get a first response.

but yes if you're just planning to do a few corals only then 24 high really isnt that bad. Like you say keep the higher light stuff higher and shrooms and maybe some other softies lower (depending on what light you get)

itz frank
12/18/2006, 08:50 PM
I've found that most of the views on here are people looking for info and don't usually like to chime in. You'll find that happens alot. I had a skimmer problem awhile back and it had 200 views with one reply. Almost everyone has a skimmer.

Anywho, i'll chime in. I agree with the wider is better then taller. BUT you'll find that aquascaping a thinner tank is going to be harder then a thicker. What I'm saying is more front to back room is more ideal. This will allow you to mount your rocks atop each other in any fashion you want and give it more of a sloping look then a stacking.

Personally, I liek the cubed look -- I have a Standard 90 AGA and i like the size nicely. And pending the fish you're looking to keep most will fit in it unless you're looking for VERY free swimming tangs and the such. In which case, I have one thing in mind. A 250 gal. haha. Enjoy.

gary faulkner
12/18/2006, 09:18 PM
Z-MAN,
My 120 is 48x24x24.
what are the other dimensions you are considering?

poppin_fresh
12/18/2006, 09:59 PM
After owning a 72bow (tall) and a 180 (long and wide) I would never want a tall tank again. The 72 is not easy to aquascape beacuase you cant build a wide enough base. This is true of any tall and narrow tank, like a 90. I also like the depth of field a deeper tank gives... so I would suggest a 48 x 48 x 24! :)

thatguy
12/18/2006, 10:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8780388#post8780388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Z-Man07
I guess I was the only one who found that humorous.

It was sorta funny :D

I like the idea of a longer tank. For the light reason and the fish reason. The flow would be harder in the longer tank but you don't want many corals so that isn't too important.

Having said that...

Don't take this the wrong way but it seems to me that you have already made up your mind and are just looking for someone to tell you to go with your choice. It's your money and your tank so go with the tall one.

Just my opinion, do with as you will.

MikeBrke
12/18/2006, 10:46 PM
I like wider tanks. They just look so extensive when looking in. But if you want room for fish to swim then longer is the way to go. You can do both but may have to have it custom built.

But maybe that will come with the 200G tank!

miracles38
12/18/2006, 10:47 PM
I have a 120 (4' x 2' x 2') and I love the way you can arrange everything. Front to back space is very important. I had a purple tang and foxface in there with other smaller fishes and there was plenty of space for all. Just make sure you have lots of caves for the fish and everyone will be happy.

Z-Man07
12/19/2006, 05:30 AM
Thank you very much for all your input.

I think that you are right "thatguy". I guess I get a little nervous due to the fact that all of this is quite expensive. I just want to do it right the first time. I'll just have to wait on the tangs for the 250!!! Maybe I can trade my current yellow tang for something else more appropriate to my 55 and growing into a 120 tall.

I surely did not expect to get 70 views and 70 responses. I just needed to know that I wasn't being a dumba** and being passed by. I don't mind criticism so if I am ever being a dumba**, just let me know and I'll think over my words. Thanks.

P.S. - Really? Only one other person found that funny? It was hilarious on my end of the keyboard!!

Take care all. Happy reerfing and happy holidays!!

dkh0331
12/19/2006, 05:58 AM
I have a 6' 110 gal tank. I personally prefer the length over height/depth. A couple of pics -

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/20173tanktoday.jpg

http://wetwebfotos.com/usermedia/high/5/1695_45.jpg

http://wetwebfotos.com/usermedia/high/5/1695_46.jpg

HTH

David

Z-Man07
12/19/2006, 06:06 AM
Very nice looking, David. Are those CL outlets in the two outer rocks? I like it!!! I might have to steal that idea from you. Is that 18" front to back?

dkh0331
12/19/2006, 06:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8783072#post8783072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Z-Man07
Very nice looking, David. Are those CL outlets in the two outer rocks? I like it!!! I might have to steal that idea from you. Is that 18" front to back?

Nope. They are Deco Rocks for my Tunze Streams. But using them, or something similar for a CL is a pretty cool idea.

David

dkh0331
12/19/2006, 06:09 AM
Sorry, yes 18" F-B and 19 " tall

MiddletonMark
12/19/2006, 06:13 AM
I'd go for the greatest space between front + back glass if going for a reef.

IMO, aquascaping, coral-scaping .... both look nicer, IMO are easier with more space there. Tank can look a lot `deeper' than the long/wide ones.

As for lighting - depending on what you're getting, the 4 x 2 x 2 might be simplest/least power. If you go with MH, 2 fit a 4' tank, 3 are needed for a 6' tank. Similarly, a 4' tank gives a lot easier [IMO] DIY light setup as that's a pretty standard size.

Both can work nicely, but I've grown quite frustrated with the limited aquascape possibilities in a 18" front-back tank after enough time. I'm really dreaming of a 4' x 3' or a 4' x 4' [like cwards].