PDA

View Full Version : Anthias...lyretail or disbar or what?

EnderG60
12/18/2006, 04:42 PM
Ok I am looking to get something colorful for my 58g reef and I like anthias so Im thinking maybe 2 lyretails or 3 disbar's.

Now here are my questions. What we have in store now are 3 female disbars(all 2.5") and two male lyretails(both 3.5"). I know lyretails can change sex, but would it be a good idea to add two male lyretails and wiat for one to change to female? and will the one of the disbars change to male if i get the 3 of them?

Also I have a 12 line wrasse(3") and a butt of a sailfin(3.5")

I really like the colors of the lyretails, but im not sure if they would get wooped by the sailfin. And on the other hand I know disbars are hardier, but the females are kinda so so color to me. I would also really like fish that dont hide and stay out. As of now my sailfin is the only one I see with breif sightings of the wrasse...rest of the fish all hide most of the time.

so based on that which should i get? or do you have any other recommendations?

Angel*Fish
12/18/2006, 04:48 PM
2 males won't work - the females turn into males, but not vice-versa

I personally like dispars - be sure your tank is covered

The best way to do it is to find fish which are different in size so there will be no arguing over who's in charge

Your tank may be a little tight for anthias -- if you get them, get smaller species like Bartlet's or dispars - they don't grow very fast, which helps, so find little ones

HTH :)

Ironsheikh
12/18/2006, 04:48 PM
i was under the impression that lyretails are hardier than dispars, but dispars are still hardy and I think Bartletts are hardier than dispars (should be for 3x the price at least)

I think its better to have females that change to males than the other way around. With the lyretails maybe just get one and wait on more females and go w/ 3 dispars

Angel*Fish
12/18/2006, 04:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8779250#post8779250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ironsheikh
i was under the impression that lyretails are hardier than dispars, but dispars are still hardy and I think Bartletts are hardier than dispars (should be for 3x the price at least)

Ditto and lyretails will get too large for a 58g tank

And if you get anthias, be sure and have a skunk cleaner - they love to get cleaned :D

EnderG60
12/18/2006, 07:58 PM
Im not to worried about the size thing, I have a 180 that will be going up in about a year when I move(wouldnt have the sailfin otherwise)

And I though lyretails do go from male to female....i swear I just recently saw a thread about someone's that had changed from female to male to female to male again.

and unfortunatly I cant keep any shrimp, my big engineer goby likes them, which I find odd since he is such a pansy:rolleyes:

bigloggerhead
12/18/2006, 10:10 PM
I have a question. What about Bartlett's? A local store has three females here. Thought about buying them but I really want a male. Will one of the females turn into a male or is this not likely?

SDguy
12/19/2006, 07:31 AM
If this is your first time keeping anhtias, I would always recommend bartlett. They are the most hardy, even compared to lyretail and dispar, IME. And I have all three :D

EnderG60
12/19/2006, 08:41 AM
I wouldnt mind a Bartlett's, but I just dont see them very much over here. Hell my store is usually the only one that even carries anthias.

And Im not that worried about taking care of it, ive been doing this lone enough that I dont buy based on hardiness only. WAY to many times ive had a boring hardy fish and wishing it was something else.

SDguy
12/19/2006, 08:57 AM
Ha! Believe me, there is nothing boring about bartletts. And IMO, the female barletts are much prettier than female dispars.
Male bartlett:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Fish%20Pics%2011-8-06/MaleBartlettDisplay.jpg

Female bartlett:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/FemaleBartletts.jpg

Female dispar:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/26113Dispar_anthia_and_McCosker_s_Flasher_Wrasse_small.jpg

Angel*Fish
12/19/2006, 11:13 AM
Peter is right - but some of us just have a thing for dispars....

Peter would you say the dispars are a little more mild mannered than the Bartlett's? -

If so, maybe that's why I like them... after my experince with bicolor anthias, I appreciate a "polite" anthias - lol

SDguy
12/19/2006, 01:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8784672#post8784672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Angel*Fish
Peter is right - but some of us just have a thing for dispars....

Peter would you say the dispars are a little more mild mannered than the Bartlett's? -

If so, maybe that's why I like them... after my experince with bicolor anthias, I appreciate a "polite" anthias - lol

First, let me say that dispars are my fav also, simply because the male is SO gorgeous, especially when displaying. Mine actually looks like this when he's diplaying, too bad he's also swimming a mile a minute:
http://www.edge-of-reef.com/anthias/ANHPdispar8.jpg

But they are finicky, do not ship well, and often starve. These reasons make me recommend bartlett. I think my dispars are the most passive of my anthias, with respect to interactions amongst each other (both inter and intra species). BUT, my male dispar loves to flare at and attack my tomini tang :confused: Not sure if this is normal of the species, as this is my first time successfully keeping dispars. Bartlett are a bit more aggressive with themselves and other anthias, but I still have two males and a female living together; no physical fights. The lyretails are the most aggressive. The male diplays to everyone, and keeps the females on their toes...err, fins.

EnderG60
12/19/2006, 08:28 PM
yeah I do like the male disbars, but the female disbar and bartlett are bout on the same level of "eh" for me.

would someone post a pic of a male lyretail for me? just for some comparison.

SDguy
12/19/2006, 08:53 PM
Do an image google search for Pseudanthias squamipinnis. You'll see the males can either be solid purple with red fins, or more red colored with gold accents on the body scales. The variation depends on where they are from. Maldives, Red Sea have the gold scales.

Mine is from the Maldives, and changed color in captivity (with camera flash and without):
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Aquarium%2011-22-06/MaleLyretailmontage11-22-06_1.jpg

EnderG60
12/20/2006, 09:57 AM
just to be sure the disbar female will change to male right?

we have 3 of em at the store now that are all eating very well. Im starting to think about getting one male lyretail and one disbar(if it will change to a male)

SDguy
12/20/2006, 10:10 AM
I do not know if anthias will change to male without the presence of females.