PDA

View Full Version : GEO owners using a ph controller Q

Kubi
12/18/2006, 07:11 PM
Just received my GEO 618 and I plan on using a ph controller. My question is in the reactor chamber, what is the target ph value do you want your controller to trun off at?

txs-Paul

Paulairduck
12/18/2006, 08:10 PM
It depends on the media you use inside, I have mine set @ 6.5 look @ the manufacturers specs.

Henry Bowman
12/18/2006, 08:32 PM
like paul said. Most run 6.5-6.8 or thereabouts. Check the media and see what it recommends. I would start at about 6.7 and follow the instructions on the Geo-marine website for effluent flow. Check alk and Ca after a day or so if the Ca and alk are in line, check daily and make changes SLOWLY. It will take some time for the reactor to respond to your setting changes.

Please note if you run the pH too low the media will turn to pudding and clog everything.

Kubi
12/18/2006, 09:17 PM
txs- for the replies. I am running knop c with the probe in a drip cup and truning off @ 6.4. So basicly the samething I just wanted to be sure.
There web site might be down. I am going to www.geosreef.com and it is coming up error.

Thanks again.

Henry Bowman
12/19/2006, 03:27 PM
Like I stated before watch the tank parameters. If the pH in the tank is running 8 or above AND the Ca and alk are in line you are OK. If the pH is low in the tank you may want to slow down the co2 until the effluent is in the 6.6 range. This will cause the reactor to put less alk and Ca in the tank. This is a balancing act so make adjustments slowly and allow 24+ hours for the adjustments to take effect and stablilze in the tank.

BTW - the website is up and running for me ???

Kubi
12/22/2006, 11:30 AM
I have a couple other Q's Can I run this reactor from my return pump from the sump?

Do I need to have my ca/alk/mag parameters levels set in my tank before starting the reactor or will the reactor raise them to where I need to be?

siding88
12/22/2006, 12:32 PM
i dont think i would use the return pump, just use a small maxi-jet cost 15 bucks, are u using the ph monitor to run a solenoid or not i'm running my geo way slowwer then the directions mine is a steady drip and about 35- 40 bpm it stays right around 6.7-6.8 this way the solenoid doesnt keep turning off and on

Henry Bowman
12/22/2006, 12:54 PM
I have a couple other Q's Can I run this reactor from my return pump from the sump?

Jason (?) at premuim aquatics does just that. Use a reducer (t fitting) from www.plumbingsupply.com and a John Guest fitting.

And YES. Your reactor will perform better if you have the alk, Ca at optimum levels before you start running your reactor. Since it can take some tweaking to get the reactor set, you should use it to maintain and not adjust the levels in your tank.

Kubi
12/22/2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks... Henry Bowman

That is how I am running my knop reactor now. I will not have to modify anything.:D

siding88

I will be running it on a controller, If I am understanding your set up you are not?

siding88
12/22/2006, 03:34 PM
why would guess that how would the solenoid shut off if i didnt have it hooked up to controller, i was just stating that the directions are i believe its overkill so ive backed them way off, being that to lower the ph in the reactor u run more co2, this way if u run it to low your solenoid wont keep going on and off possibly burning it out in a years time, so just keep tweaking it to you get where u want, but slow increments every 24 hours, to each ther own on how to plumb it, i just found it pretty simple to use a small pump seeing as though jason told u 1 thing and me another

Henry Bowman
12/22/2006, 11:35 PM
I will be running it on a controller, If I am understanding your set up you are not?

Not sure your question here..."If I am understanding your set up you are not?"

I have one 90gl tank up and running with a PM reactor and have just purchased a Geo for a tank that I am in the process of setting up (another 90)

I am running a Octopus controller on the PM Reactor 90 gl tank (Current).
I am setting up a 90 gl that has an Aquatronica Controler and a Geo reactor (process of setting up)

Kubi
12/23/2006, 06:12 PM
The 618 has been running since 10am est time, so far no leaks:D
I will test the effluent tomorrow and post the results.

Thank you Henry Bowman and siding88 for your guidance and input. :cool:

Paul

avolar
12/30/2006, 12:19 PM
Hello fellow reefers

I just set up my new geo 618 calcium reactor last nigth, it was easy to do it, the only thing that I don't really understand is why the manufacturer recomends a maxijet 1200 to feed the reactor, thats about 295gph and the efluent is a lot less, any body knows?

Kubi
12/31/2006, 08:32 AM
avolar

I have mine hooked up to my return feed (pump Pan World model 100px-x) with 38 od tubing and John Guest fittings and valves and it is working awesome.

The reason I think they recomend a maxijet 1200 is like a back pressure pump and it will not force the water into the reactor and blow the seals out. That is what I was told from Phishy Business

gasman059
12/31/2006, 09:46 AM
MIne is about 3 wks old and its been pretty easy to dial in, i do use a maxijet1200.

avolar
12/31/2006, 11:52 AM
The Hawk'ster

Tanks for the info.

I'm using a maxijet 900 for feed pump, it's because thats what I had on hand when reactor was received, do you think it's ok?