PDA

View Full Version : Magnum 350 Problem....PLEASE HELP!!!

steri
12/19/2006, 08:22 AM
I bought a Magnum 350 used on ebay. I cleaned it out completely and tried to test it out in my sink before putting it to use on my tank. I checked everything. All appears to be in working order. The magnet was very very old and starting to carrode, so I did replace that, but besides that, everthing appeared to look to be in good condition with no leaks.

I fileld up the 350 canister with tap water. I put the empty carbon container in the filter, snapped on the top and locked it, hooked up the hoses, put them into a filled sink and started it up. I got a lot of noise at first (which I understand to be normal), so I shut it off, and let the tubes suck in all the water it needed.

When I turned it on again, it was working slowly, but was still noisy. I turned it off again, again it filled itself to whatever capicity it needed too, and I turned it on a third time. Again it was working slowly, but was STILL noisy. At first I thought the noise I was hearing was the impeller, and maybe it is, but the funny thing was, when I pushed down on the top of the filter, the noise stopped completely and the filter appeared to work at full capacity. As soon as I took my hand off the top of the filter....noise again! Damn! Put my hand back on the top again, it worked perfectly. Took it off again, well, I think you get the picture.

So that had me wondering.......What is the deal with this filter? Is it the O Ring? Is it not tight enough? Is the top not secure enough on the filter? If it's not, how can I get it more secure? Can I maybe just buy a couple of large rubberbands to place on the outside of the filter to kind of act as my hand and hold the top down? What the heck is going on here?

I've never had a 350 before, but I have dealt with other canisters in my past. Any info you could give me would be MUCH appreciated. I just don't want to go tot he LPS and buy a bunch of stuff that I don't need for this thing.

Please help!

Hobster
12/19/2006, 10:36 AM
Does it have the large o ring that goes around the cover? Does it have all the other o rings? Is the filter below the level of the water (sink)? Did it come with a owners manual.

steri
12/19/2006, 10:57 AM
That's a lot of questions but I'll try to answer all of them.

1) Yess it came with a manual that has already been consulted. No real help there.

2) Yes, I put the canister on the floor below the sink when I started it. It was probably about 4 feet below the sink.

3) Yes, it does have a large O-ring on the cover and all the other standard rings are in place inside the canister and looking very nice. The O-ring does appear to be loose (very easy to take off and put on). I also noticed upon using it that the clamps do clamp the top into place, but they do not appear to hold the top on too tightly, and the top is very easy to put on (I was told it should take a little pushing with a proper or newer O-ring on the canister).

Does that answer your questions for you. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

BurntOutReefer
12/19/2006, 11:00 AM
sounds like you need a new O-ring....
or a brick to put on top of the filter....

steri
12/19/2006, 11:16 AM
ha ha ha. Ya, I think I'll start with an O-ring ;-)

Ti
12/19/2006, 11:25 AM
Try realigning the impeller.

steri
12/19/2006, 11:45 AM
I will try that tonight as well in whatever way I can.

Hobster
12/19/2006, 11:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8784567#post8784567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steri
That's a lot of questions but I'll try to answer all of them.

1) Yess it came with a manual that has already been consulted. No real help there.

2) Yes, I put the canister on the floor below the sink when I started it. It was probably about 4 feet below the sink.

3) Yes, it does have a large O-ring on the cover and all the other standard rings are in place inside the canister and looking very nice. The O-ring does appear to be loose (very easy to take off and put on). I also noticed upon using it that the clamps do clamp the top into place, but they do not appear to hold the top on too tightly, and the top is very easy to put on (I was told it should take a little pushing with a proper or newer O-ring on the
canister).

Does that answer your questions for you. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Just asking questions to help answer Your questions.:D

Yes, the large O ring fits on kinda loose. Yes the top should require a little effort to push on. Are you lining up the the little out tube with the hole on top and then snapping the metal clamps?

If unit will not pump and/or
air won’t evacuate from
Canister…
If Filter makes excessive
noise or stops abruptly…
If pumping slows or
stops gradually…
Reposition filter to avoid loops and deep curves in hose.
Adjust hose length.
Cut to desired length and reinstall.
Purchase 3/4” diameter extension from aquarium dealer
(PA1341).
Be sure Impeller Assembly and Housing are properly installed.
Check Rite-Size Filter Sleeve, Carbon/Media Container or
Micron Cartridge for clogging - clean or replace.
“Burp” Canister. If air remains trapped in Canister after
Start/Stopping procedure, lift Canister off motor (do not
disconnect Canister Cover), hold lower than aquarium, and tilt
Canister until air has evacuated. Restart.
Make certain that “OUT” port inside Canister Cover is fitted
over Impeller Exhaust Tube inside Canister.
Make certain that “OUT” port on top of Canister Cover is
connected to Outlet Hose and Tube.
Check to see that end of Outlet Tube and Diffuser are
under water.
Correct any loops, kinks or deep curves in hose.
Rinse Canister, Impeller Assembly and Impeller Sump to ensure
that no gravel or carbon obstructs natural flow.
Rinse Carbon Media Container thoroughly.
Use only Black Diamond Activated Carbon.
Inspect hoses for dirt blocking flow.
Clear with Flexi Brush accessory (PA0554).
Clean or replace Rite-Size Flter Sleeve, Carbon/Media

steri
12/19/2006, 12:39 PM
"If pumping slows or
stops gradually…
Reposition filter to avoid loops and deep curves in hose.
Adjust hose length.
Cut to desired length and reinstall.

Well, I can say the tubing was at quite an angle as the sink in no where near as high as my tank, so there was a lot of tubing that was at odd angles, not just up and down. Maybe that was my problem?

steri
12/19/2006, 12:41 PM
Oh, and yes, I am lining up the holes properly.

What happened to the days of just filing the filter was water, plugging it in and letting it do it's job.

Maybe it's just the filter I have, but this process seems overly complicated.