PDA

View Full Version : Pre mixing saltwater

WessB
12/19/2006, 08:53 AM
How far in advance can you mix saltwater? I will be away from home for around 9 days and would like to make a batch of water before I leave to have on hand when I return. You never know what you might find when you come back home from vacation, it`s like a punishment for leaving..LOL....I was thinking of mixing the day before I leave and either have it just sit with no pump while I was gone, or based on the response here I could put a minijet in the water tub to keep some circulation. Will the water still be OK after sitting that long? I have come home in the past and found situations which called for adding saltwater to the tank right now, this is my reason for wanting to have some premixed on hand...just in case....Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wess

sharky_steve
12/19/2006, 09:19 AM
9 days is no problem. be sure to use a pump with a venturi port or just a air pump w/ air stone attached. keeping the water areated is more important than just water movement. forcing air into the water helps to equilibrate the water's pH. when premixing, I keep my saltwater in 5 gal buckets with lids that have a hole drilled into the lid so I can run an air line into the water.

WessB
12/19/2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks for your comments.....I dont typically use an air stone when making my normal water change water...should I be? I usually mix 10 gallons with a mag 3 pump for around 24 hours then do my water change...

Wess

chucksta1
12/19/2006, 10:00 AM
I usually leave it pre-mixed, in case of emregency. Why?I don't know, that's why they're called emergencies. I leave it heated and aerated, it never seems to go "bad".

sharky_steve
12/19/2006, 10:09 AM
you sould be using an air stone for best results. the buffers in the mix will stabilize the pH faster this way. after I mix my water I usually aerate for at least a day before use. this way the new water is able to interact with the air in your home just as your tank water has, and thus will have a more similar pH.

jbittner
12/19/2006, 10:12 AM
As long as you have good surface aggitation and check your pH (of the new water) before the water change ou should be good to go.

WessB
12/19/2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all of the comments/replys, I will start doing some aeration of my change water from here on out.

Wess

leeweber85
12/19/2006, 11:11 AM
Yup all good, I usually let my NSW sit for a few days before I use it. Make sure you remeasure the salinity because it will evaporate quite a bit.

Hop
12/19/2006, 12:18 PM
Indefinitely as long as you keep it aerated and away from contamination. Often times I have premixed salt water stored for up to 8 weeks with no problems.

kfowler
12/19/2006, 12:21 PM
Not sure I totally agree with using an air stone. I believe that they add very little if any oxygen to the water column. Check out the Oxygen lecture on Reef Videos. It certainly won't hurt to use one but I don't believe they are necessary.

DeJaCo
12/19/2006, 12:28 PM
Hey if space allows get a new plastic garbage can (rubbermaid tub) and fill with RO water - add salt mix - add powerhead & heater - just let it go. Now whenever you need water for water change siphon out what you need. If you don't use it all just add more RO water and salt mix and it's ready for next time. Emergencies do arise for yourself or a local friend there is premade saltwater on hand!!! As long as it is dark, mixing, and heated I have never had it go bad! Good luck.

skeeter-doc
12/19/2006, 12:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8784059#post8784059 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WessB
Thanks for your comments.....I dont typically use an air stone when making my normal water change water...should I be? I usually mix 10 gallons with a mag 3 pump for around 24 hours then do my water change...

Wess, this sounds fine. Continue to do what you do and as long as you keep it covered, nothing should get into it, and you can do your water change when you return from your holiday vacation.

WessB
12/20/2006, 06:49 AM
Wow, Thanks for all of the great comments.

Wess